CCL & FOID Renewal

On 6/20/2023 at 6:34 PM, Euler said:

Perhaps the only thing worse than bureaucratic incompetence is automated incompetence. Ignore it.

On 6/9 I did the renewal for my CCL, the portal states it is under renewal, on 6/23 I received not 1 but 2 identical letters from the ISP that my CCL is due for renewal.

Both my renewals are due in December. Took my class yesterday.

What am I applying for?

Either FOID, CCL or both?

Site will not let me proceed just checking CCL, checked both.

Agree to terms next.

Preliminary questions,

over 21

birthday

not LEO

CCL TCN information Yes permanently fixed.

Transaction # permanently fixed.

confirm TCN not same number also fixed.

Seems like I’m applying for new cards, 

not sure. Needs new Photo ?

Not sure.

Thanks

I understood that renewing ones CCL

got the FOID renewed automatically.

The site would not let me renew the CCL first. Had to check both to proceed. That was my concern at this point. It appears I’m updating both simultaneously. 

Have to pay for FOID renewal.

Edited by lilguy

For me:

CCL expires 12/23

FOID expires in 2033 because I had fingerprints and purchased a gun which automatically extended FOID for 10 years. 

Renewed CCL only the day email arrived saying I could. Waiting now to see how long it takes to receive new CCL. 

It seems that providing fingerprints 10 years ago has paid off with new FOID changes. 

Cheers,

Tim

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/29/2023 at 8:22 AM, cola490 said:

It is amazing, according to different posts, some people paid for the FOID renewal and some did not.....

Yep, I applied for my CCL while my FOID had a year left before expiration. I only paid the $150 and my FOID was automatically renewed. It’s pretty inconvenient that there’s no expiration date on the card though. I can see that being an issue down the road

Edited by MrSig9mm

I didn't pay for a FOID renewal when I renewed my CCL just now (my FOID was automatically updated last year, and I didn't buy a gun).  I've never submitted prints.  Technically CCL expires next week, but since I'm now in pending status, I should be good.  When my FOID was updated, I received the newer combined card that does not have an expiration date anyway.  Just have to remember to check to portal. 

• 3 weeks later...

In June, I applied for my CCL and FOID. They were already linked together with the same expiration date, December, 2023. The payment for the CCL went through. The payment icon for the FOID was there but when I hit it I got the "You are not authorized to be in this portal" message. I could NOT pay for the FOID in any manner. A week later, I got a text notice that my CCL application had a pending payment missing flag, apparently for the FOID. The notice came again the next week. Once again I could not pay for the FOID.  So I called ISP Firearms Bureau and spoke with Tiffany. She checked with her supervisor the next day and reported back to me that if you pay for the CCL, the FOID is automatically renewed with no additional charge. I believe this is because they were already linked with the same expiration date.

zoz

Mine were the same renew date in December, there were no warnings when I tried to apply for my CCL. Button would not activate. Had to renew FOID and pay then CCL app activated with info inputted with FOID app. Paid CCL and that was it . FOID just went active today, CCL immediately went to under review.

On 7/30/2023 at 12:16 AM, lilguy said:

Mine were the same renew date in December, there were no warnings when I tried to apply for my CCL. Button would not activate. Had to renew FOID and pay then CCL app activated with info inputted with FOID app. Paid CCL and that was it . FOID just went active today, CCL immediately went to under review.

So you had to pay for the FOID renewal, as did I, there are many posts in this thread who state they did not, as usual there is confusion p.

Here is another ISP change.

I am an instructor. Last month I applied to renew my CCL. In the spot where I'm supposed to download the certificate I uploaded my NRA pistol instructor certificate. On my 2018 CCL application that was accepted by ISP. Not on today's application.

According to the Public Safety (430 ILCS 66/ Firearms Concealed Carry Act (Source: P. A. 98-63, eff. 7-9-13, section 75(h) Applicant Firearms Training, instructors are exempt from re-certification:

(h) A person who has qualified to carry a firearm as an active law enforcement or corrections officer, who has successfully completed firearms training as required by his or her law enforcement agency and is authorized by his or her agency to carry a firearm; a person currently certified as a firearms instructor by this Act or by the Illinois Law Enforcement Training Standards Board; or a person who has completed the required training and has been issued a firearm control card by the Department of Financial and Professional Regulation shall be exempt from the requirements of this Section.

Today, July 30 I was able to correct my CCL application, marked the instructor exemption and insert my instructor number into the form and it was saved. Today, July 31, I received a notice from ISP that as an instructor, I must submit a 3-hour training certificate for the exemption. I was advised I could train myself as long as I submitted the form.

So, in addition to us instructors not being exempt under the act, the NRA certification apparently is not an approved instructor recognized by the ISP? This is a head scratcher to me!

zoz

On 8/1/2023 at 12:16 AM, zozmanCCW said:

I am an instructor. Last month I applied to renew my CCL. In the spot where I'm supposed to download the certificate I uploaded my NRA pistol instructor certificate. On my 2018 CCL application that was accepted by ISP. Not on today's application.

According to the Public Safety (430 ILCS 66/ Firearms Concealed Carry Act (Source: P. A. 98-63, eff. 7-9-13, section 75(h) Applicant Firearms Training, instructors are exempt from re-certification:

(h) A person who has qualified to carry a firearm as an active law enforcement or corrections officer, who has successfully completed firearms training as required by his or her law enforcement agency and is authorized by his or her agency to carry a firearm; a person currently certified as a firearms instructor by this Act or by the Illinois Law Enforcement Training Standards Board; or a person who has completed the required training and has been issued a firearm control card by the Department of Financial and Professional Regulation shall be exempt from the requirements of this Section.

Today, July 30 I was able to correct my CCL application, marked the instructor exemption and insert my instructor number into the form and it was saved. Today, July 31, I received a notice from ISP that as an instructor, I must submit a 3-hour training certificate for the exemption. I was advised I could train myself as long as I submitted the form.

So, in addition to us instructors not being exempt under the act, the NRA certification apparently is not an approved instructor recognized by the ISP? This is a head scratcher to me!

zoz

Well that's just dumb. Why would an instructor need to fill out a 3 hour certificate for himself 🤬

zoz

The NRA instructor certificate is supposed to be emailed to the ISP ccl instructor unit, not uploaded in the renewal process.

zoz

Would you mind forwarding the message to me about needing to upload a 3 hr renewal certificate.  I would like to send an inquiry to ISP.

Where is it published what the correct application procedure is? Is it a published fact that one can apply for the CCL and get a NC FOID renewal.

I saw no problem paying for both in the over all scheme of things. According to folks here, going forward, FOID should renew automatically, in five years, with the CCL or sooner if a gun is purchased.

Is this what is understood as of now.

Anyone have any info on why some pay and some don’t? Thanks