4473 after recreational marijuana purchase

baendres

I am not and have never been a user of adult use/recreational marijuana, but have picked some up for a family member.

I know that ISP has stated that FOID and CCL will not be revoked for the adult use in Illinois since the legalization/decriminalizing of marijuana.  I have also read that it is illegal for dispensaries to keep/share information on individuals that have made purchases from them. 

I have heard (conspiracy theories?) that if you purchased marijuana from a dispensary, that your name would be in a database and therefore if you attempted to purchase a firearm from an FFL dealer you would get denied and ultimately have your FOID/CCL revoked.

My question has anyone actually filled out a 4473 and purchased a firearm from an FFL after making a legal (in Illinois) purchase from a dispensary?

I have not heard of a situation in which a recreational purchase has caused anything other than an approved background check. However, there's several different personal opinions on the matter that are conflicting but not wrong even though they conflict. The ISP produced a FAQ when recreational use became legal in Illinois. I can't find it or know how to share it but it's out there. In my personal opinion the ISP Faq provides an answer but at the end of the day it's on the individual to mark the form accordingly.

On 10/1/2021 at 12:06 AM, kyle50cal said:

... The ISP produced a FAQ when recreational use became legal in Illinois. I can't find it or know how to share it but it's out there. In my personal opinion the ISP Faq provides an answer but at the end of the day it's on the individual to mark the form accordingly.

ISP

ISP said:

2. FOID Eligibility and the Application Process

Am I eligible for a FOID Card if I have a Medical Marijuana License, am a caregiver pursuant to the Compassionate Use of Medical Cannabis Pilot Program Act, or otherwise use cannabis recreationally?

If you possess an MML, are a caregiver pursuant to the Compassionate Use of Medical Cannabis Pilot Program Act, and/or otherwise use cannabis consistent with Illinois law, your FOID Card will not be revoked nor your FOID application denied. Medical Marijuana Licenses are State-issued and cannot result in the denial of any right or privilege.

However, under Federal law, you are subject to restrictions that prohibit you from acquiring or possessing firearms and firearms ammunition. These restrictions are pusuant to the Gun Control Act of 1968, specifically, 18 U.S.C. §922, and remain in effect until the revocation or relinquishment of your medical cannabis card or until one year after you last used cannabis, whichever is later.

On 10/1/2021 at 1:08 AM, kyle50cal said:

That's specifically for a medical card holder and not recreational. The produced another document when the recreational law became active. I'll find the document, it may be a paper copy in my binder.

On 10/1/2021 at 12:35 AM, Euler said:

ISP

ISP said:

2. FOID Eligibility and the Application Process

Am I eligible for a FOID Card if I have a Medical Marijuana License, am a caregiver pursuant to the Compassionate Use of Medical Cannabis Pilot Program Act, or otherwise use cannabis recreationally?

If you possess an MML, are a caregiver pursuant to the Compassionate Use of Medical Cannabis Pilot Program Act, and/or otherwise use cannabis consistent with Illinois law, your FOID Card will not be revoked nor your FOID application denied. Medical Marijuana Licenses are State-issued and cannot result in the denial of any right or privilege.

However, under Federal law, you are subject to restrictions that prohibit you from aquiring or possessing firearms and firearms ammunition. These restrictions are pusuant to the Gun Control Act of 1968, specifically, 18 U.S.C. §922, and remain in effect until the revocation or relinquishment of your medical cannabis card or until one year after you last used cannabis, whichever is later.

House Committee OKs Pot Legalization Bill After Fiery Debate - (law360) 

The House Judiciary Committee on Thursday advanced a bill to deschedule cannabis at the federal level, expunge criminal records and reinvest in communities harmed by prohibition.

I'm actually not a fan of recreational but I don't think someone with a medical license (granted that's now a joke) should be denied on a 4473. 

Life without fentanyl is a good thing....

You're fine. Recreational dispensaries in the State of Illinois are prohibited by law from sharing your information. My girlfriend works for one of the major corporate pot companies and this question has come up so often that her company created a little infographic for their customers to assure them that their purchase history will not be shared and will not prohibit their ability to purchase or carry a firearm. 

On 10/1/2021 at 10:50 AM, SiliconSorcerer said:

Not if you have a medical card. 

Which I scraped when I met Mr Black and Skittles. 

Yes, I am specifically talking about adult recreation use. not MMC

On 10/1/2021 at 9:16 AM, spaceman spiff said:

You're fine. Recreational dispensaries in the State of Illinois are prohibited by law from sharing your information. My girlfriend works for one of the major corporate pot companies and this question has come up so often that her company created a little infographic for their customers to assure them that their purchase history will not be shared and will not prohibit their ability to purchase or carry a firearm. 

Thank you!

On 10/1/2021 at 8:51 AM, Jeffrey said:

You'll be fine with the 4473

Do you know anyone that hasn't had a problem?

On 10/2/2021 at 10:38 AM, RandyP said:

"I am not and have never been a user of adult use/recreational marijuana, but have picked some up for a family member."

Sounds like a straw purchaser to me - lol

Just sounds like he's saying his interest picked up some when his family members were denied and he realize just how important it was for him to have more firearms, just like my wive's did. 

some

On 10/1/2021 at 12:46 PM, baendres said:

Yes, I am specifically talking about adult recreation use. not MMC

Thank you!

Do you know anyone that hasn't had a problem?

I don't know anyone that has had a problem.  I know more than a few that go into the local shop make purchases and have still purchased guns with a 4473 legally attached to it.  No issues.

Archived