College of Lake County passes new policy on concealed carry

GlockShooter

http://newssun.suntimes.com/news/24463909-418/college-of-lake-county-passes-new-policy-on-concealed-carry.html

Unless you wear a badge along with a gun, don’t bring firearms on to College of Lake County property.

The College of Lake County Board on Wednesday night passed a new gun policy prohibiting anyone but sworn police officers from carrying a firearm on college-owned or controlled property.

“The new policy applies to everyone coming to our facilities — whether employees, students or visitors, and it is consistent with what other schools are doing to protect the safety of their campuses,” said CLC Board Chairman Amanda Howland following the meeting.

Under the new policy, enacted to comply with Illinois’ Firearm Concealed Carry Act, anyone with a concealed carry license coming to the Grayslake or Southlake campus in Vernon Hills must store their weapon, unloaded, in a secure case or locked container out of plain view in their parked vehicle.

At the Lakeshore campus in Waukegan, where CLC does not own a parking facility, those with a concealed carry license must comply with the laws and regulations of the city, but as at the Grayslake and Southlake campuses, they cannot carry a weapon on campus.

Aren't they embellishing a bit on the storage rules?

Does the college of Lake County have its own campus police? If so and if they have arrest power I imagine they can arrest you for just about anything they please, legal or not. Otherwise they can always add it in the student code of conduct and just kick you out of school if anyone finds out.

I had an NIU Security Officer threaten to arrest me once.

I had to give my group my part of a project, I parked in a handicapped spot at the student center, ran into the center, gave the group my work, ran out, jumped in my car, started it, but before I could pull out, a campus police pulled up blocking me in. I told him I just ran in, he probably knew that because he was probably watching the whole time, but anyway he started to lecture me about the difficulties of handicapped students and how he saw me run out of the student center, and how I should feel ashamed that I can run when there are students who can't even walk and I park in their parking space. So I said "OK, write me the ticket but don't lecture me, I don't feel like listening to your bull****." So he asks me how I'd like to spend the night in jail and threatens to arrest me. I said "what are you going to arrest me for? He told me if I opened my mouth again he'd arrest me.

Campus cops are the worst.

I had to give my group my part of a project, I parked in a handicapped spot at the student center, ran into the center, gave the group my work, ran out, jumped in my car, started it, but before I could pull out, a campus police pulled up blocking me in. I told him I just ran in, he probably knew that because he was probably watching the whole time, but anyway he started to lecture me about the difficulties of handicapped students and how he saw me run out of the student center, and how I should feel ashamed that I can run when there are students who can't even walk and I park in their parking space. So I said "OK, write me the ticket but don't lecture me, I don't feel like listening to your bull****." So he asks me how I'd like to spend the night in jail and threatens to arrest me. I said "what are you going to arrest me for? He told me if I opened my mouth again he'd arrest me.

The cop was wrong to want to arrest you for parking in a handicap parking space without a handicap parking permit. Instead he should have beaten you until you were handicap so you could qualify to apply for a handicap parking permit. As someone who has hip and leg problems I can tell you those handicap spaces mean a lot to those of us with handicap parking permits. I for one will block in someone parked in a handicap parking space without a permit and then call the cops and wait for them to come and ticket the offender. Do NOT park in a handicap parking space if you are not handicapped.

They think taking guns away from law abiding is making their campus more secure? Hmmmmmm

The cop was wrong to want to arrest you for parking in a handicap parking space without a handicap parking permit. Instead he should have beaten you until you were handicap so you could qualify to apply for a handicap parking permit. As someone who has hip and leg problems I can tell you those handicap spaces mean a lot to those of us with handicap parking permits. I for one will block in someone parked in a handicap parking space without a permit and then call the cops and wait for them to come and ticket the offender. Do NOT park in a handicap parking space if you are not handicapped.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

They think taking guns away from law abiding is making their campus more secure? Hmmmmmm

That's how it works right? no guns means everyone is safe now.

Psst. you forgot the purple.

And of course they "needed" to enact a policy to "comply" with the law because the law itself, with its clear prohibition of carrying on any college or university property wasn't specific enough.

This action will protect their students more better than the FCCA of course, because more laws and rules is better... And we've seen enough evidence since Florida enacted "shall issue" in 1986 of the danger CCW holders pose to society in general.

Yes your vehicle is your safe zone but just like any business the colleges have right to make their own policy - My work says no firearms on property even in your vehicle.... now yes I'm not breaking any law if I bring keep a firearm on property within my vehicle however my employer reserves the right to terminate my employment because I broke Corp policy.

Just posted this at the paper's site:

So glad the Board felt the need to pass their own policy.

After all, the language in Section 65 of the Firearms Concealed Carry Act which reads "a) A licensee under this Act shall not knowingly carry a firearm on or into...Any building, classroom, laboratory, medical clinic, hospital, artistic venue, athletic venue, entertainment venue, officially recognized university-related organization property, whether owned or leased, and any real property, including parking areas, sidewalks, and common areas under the control of a public or private community college, college, or university" was obviously too vague. And only being a State Statute it's not like it carries any real weight. A school policy - much like declaring a place a "gun free zone" is obviously much more effective at stopping potential shootings.

And of course it truly addresses a real need, especially given the problems we've seen with all those CCW people ever since 1986 when Florida began allowing the unwashed masses the same right of self defense as the rich and connected types who really deserve that privilege. Then thirty something other states followed suit - with predictably similar results.

Statistics don't lie. Oh, if only all of our elected officials in Illinois would pay heed and adjust their attitudes accordingly. Bravo, Chairman Howland, bravo!

I'm curious how often you have driven somewhere and all of the handicap parking spaces have been taken where one or more of the spots is taken by a non-permitted person. Granted I am not paying attention as much as you would, but it seems to me that 99% of the time I go somewhere with a public lot, there always are handicap parking spots open. In fact, I honestly can't ever remember an instance where I noticed that all the spots were taken. Is this a legitimate concern that actually happens?

Personally, I'd rather have a lecture than a ticket. Only one of those things actually costs money. :D

I'm curious how often you have driven somewhere and all of the handicap parking spaces have been taken where one or more of the spots is taken by a non-permitted person. Granted I am not paying attention as much as you would, but it seems to me that 99% of the time I go somewhere with a public lot, there always are handicap parking spots open. In fact, I honestly can't ever remember an instance where I noticed that all the spots were taken. Is this a legitimate concern that actually happens?

Yes it does happen quite often. Many times I have had to drive around and wait for a spot to open .

Yes it does happen quite often. Many times I have had to drive around and wait for a spot to open .

That stinks. I can understand your frustration then.

Since I'm confined to a power wheelchair and drive a truck that that requires the stripped area on the side to exit my truck, I have a different perspective about people who are "just running in for a minute" or driving motor cycles and park their bike in the stripped zones because "they don't want their bike to get hit in a regular parking spot" and I'll make a deal with any of you; if you figure out how we can trade, you can have my handicap tag and I'll gladly walk all the way from parking spot the most distant in the lot - with a smile on my face, even in the rain.

I've been in a chair since 1985 when I feel from a missile launcher and nobody has taken me up yet. That cop is my hero.

It happens a lot. I do notice because I have no choice but to park where I can get my chair out the right side on that wide stripped off spot. Sometimes that stripped spot is filled with motorcycles and sometimes there are people blocking it "for just a minute" that turns into a half hour. Walmarts are the worse since all spring and summer they fill up half of the handicap spots with their garden centers.

Then you have the people who had some temporary problem that still have their tag "in case they need it" who seem to need it all the time. And the people who are "handicapped" but can go to a shopping center and walk around in it for two hours, but think they need the tag because it's closer to the door.

I have no choice, I must park in that spot. So I circle and circle waiting for the only spot I can use. Every store, every day.

Sometimes that stripped spot is filled with motorcycles and sometimes there are people blocking it "for just a minute" that turns into a half hour. Walmarts are the worse since all spring and summer they fill up half of the handicap spots with their garden centers.

Then you have the people who had some temporary problem that still have their tag "in case they need it" who seem to need it all the time. And the people who are "handicapped" but can go to a shopping center and walk around in it for two hours, but think they need the tag because it's closer to the door.

I have no choice, I must park in that spot. So I circle and circle waiting for the only spot I can use. Every store, every day.

A bigger problem up here is the people who borrow Granny's car (or placard) and then park and stroll right on in.

A co-worker of mine at one of my first jobs had gotten drunk several years earlier and literally been run over by a train. He walked with a cane, on a bad day two. I can count the number of times he parked in the blue spaces on one hand with fingers to spare.

Archived