IGOLD FOR NEWBIES

Lou

This is my first Igold and I am bringing my brother and perhaps a few friends (trying to rally more support). Do I need to bring any cash except for tshirts, sweaters, hats etc? What about signs, do I buy signs, are they passed out freely? Is there an admission? I'll be driving down there so will park in the parking garage, not looking forward to the 4 hour ride :( .

So basically I show up, park, walk into the convention center to get my gear, and someone who knows what they are doing will tell me what to do next?

This is my first Igold and I am bringing my brother and perhaps a few friends (trying to rally more support). Do I need to bring any cash except for tshirts, sweaters, hats etc? What about signs, do I buy signs, are they passed out freely? Is there an admission? I'll be driving down there so will park in the parking garage, not looking forward to the 4 hour ride :( .

So basically I show up, park, walk into the convention center to get my gear, and someone who knows what they are doing will tell me what to do next?

Bring money if you want a tshirt or hat, if you want to grab a bite to eat, of if you want to donate a couple of bucks. All are optional. Only required expense is parking $7 (if you drive). All else is completely free. There will be plenty of signs (free thanks to Mark)

How long should I plan for it all to last assuming I am there from start to finish?

How long should I plan for it all to last assuming I am there from start to finish?

This should give you some idea:

Begins Wednesday, March 6, 2013, 11:30am

Starting Location:

10:45:00 am - Prairie Capital Convention Center - Doors open - View Map

Located at the corner of 8th St & Adams.

12:00 pm - Prairie Capital Convention Center - Legislative Briefing

1:00 pm - Head out to lobby Senators and Representatives at the State Capitol.

respectfully make our presence known in

committee hearings that are in session

4:00 pm - Head to reception at Vinegar Hill Mall 107 W. Cook St.

(2 blocks south of Capitol Bldg.) - NEW!!

5:00 pm - Buses depart for home (boarding at Vinegar Hill Mal) - NEW!!

The important parts are the briefing, the march to the Capitol and dropping off the provided cards at your legislator's offices.

The reception is a good chance to mingle and get to know folks.

I just realized I have to drop off my daughter at school at 8:30 AM. The drive according to Mapquest is 3 hours 45 minutes. Assuming that's accurate, I won't be to the convention center until about 12-12:30. Does it make sense to show up an hour late? Will that be much of an issue?

I just realized I have to drop off my daughter at school at 8:30 AM. The drive according to Mapquest is 3 hours 45 minutes. Assuming that's accurate, I won't be to the convention center until about 12-12:30. Does it make sense to show up an hour late? Will that be much of an issue?

The march usually doesn't start until 1PM or so. Where you might have a problem is the lot next to the PCCC being full. It hasn't been a problem in the past but I have a feeling we're gonna have a record crowd. There are other lots around though.

Phew, OK!

If I miss a few minutes of the briefing, so be it. I'll find parking somewhere, remember I'm from Chicago, near-by parking is often a luxury :)

I'm taking the bus down to IGOLD. Do I need to bring cash for something to eat or can I just use my debit card?

If cash, how much may be needed for lunch and a snack w/soda?

If you go to the IGOLD ISRA website there is a link for the bus info. Many if the buses stop for lunch and the bus flier usually tells you how much. I'm not sure about cash/ debit. It all depends on which bus and where it stops. If there is a bus captain listed on the flier they would have a better answer.

Hope that helps!

This former railroad person also recommends Amtrak. From Chicagoland it's a cinch. I'm on at Joliet Union (parking two blocks north is often free) and the Springpatch station is about a half-dozen blocks away from the Convention Center. It's even closer to the Capitol. In fact, some years there are legislators on board the train, too.

The morning southbound leaves Chicago Union at 7am and Joliet at 8. It gets to SPI at 10:45 or so. There's a couple of choices on the way back. I use the 5pm one, and there's one later as well.

The ticket prices vary by lead time (how early you book) and load factor. I paid $33 round-trip.

Lounging the miles away at 80-110mph is the easy way to go and the coffee in the club car is completely potable.

On Bill's recommendation I am also taking the train. Cost me $32 round trip from J-town. Let's fill the train with GOLD!

Dave

I'm taking the bus down to IGOLD. Do I need to bring cash for something to eat or can I just use my debit card?

If you go to the IGOLD ISRA website there is a link for the bus info. Many if the buses stop for lunch and the bus flier usually tells you how much. I'm not sure about cash/ debit. It all depends on which bus and where it stops. If there is a bus captain listed on the flier they would have a better answer.

Hope that helps!

I did read the IGOLD bus info. I wanted to know if things like food and IGOLD caps were cash only or do they take cards? I'll bring some cash for any stops the bus may take. I'd just like to get a IGOLD cap when I'm down there.

Also is it correct that we can take a sack lunch on the bus with us? i.e. in case the bus does not stop near anywhere to eat

This is my first Igold and I am bringing my brother and perhaps a few friends (trying to rally more support). Do I need to bring any cash except for tshirts, sweaters, hats etc? What about signs, do I buy signs, are they passed out freely?

Bring extra cash ifyou want t-shirts, hats, etc. Signs are free (and reused). There will be opportunity to join or renew NRA and ISRA there, so that's another possible cash sink.

And, don't forget the gun raffle!

Exactly that.

Some busses stop for lunch, some don't. Check your own bus schedule.

$10 should be plenty for lunch. (You really don't want to eat at the PCCC. It's "utilitarian". Nacho chips and hot dog is about the extent of it. )

Just remember it is a long ride back home.

Can someone suggest somewhere you can get food at the mall where the buses will be waiting?

There are multiple places in the mall to eat. You didn't mention what bus you're taking but the ISRA buss info link says some of the buses will have pizza on the bus??

My wife and I will be attending for the first time this year. I'm even considering pulling my 16yo son from school for the day.

We'll be driving in from Jacksonville and this won't be our first trip to the capital to lobby. She worked for years as an advocate for disability rights until her own disability forced her to quit working and go on..well, disability. :P

Hope to meet some of you there. She'll be the good looking blonde in the wheelchair running over everyone's toes. :P

Cash will work best. As someone who has ridden the bus every year my experience has been cash. Most busses charge or ask for a donation and will be sponsored by someone, a check would usually work for that. A bus captain will usually take up the money for lunch if that is a scheduled stop and then the BC will pay the resturant so riders only have to get in line and eat. At least this has been the procedure on the bus I have taken every year. Jim.

Looks like the weather will still be sunny but chilly.

The thought for the day is layers.

Dress in layers.

The march might be a tinge chilly but it is usually warm in the Capitol Building {especially with 10,000 people in it} so dress accordingly.

Begins Wednesday, March 6, 2013, 11:30am

Starting Location:

10:45:00 am - Prairie Capital Convention Center - Doors open - View Map

Located at the corner of 8th St & Adams.

12:00 pm - Prairie Capital Convention Center - Legislative Briefing

1:00 pm - Head out to lobby Senators and Representatives at the State Capitol.

respectfully make our presence known in

committee hearings that are in session

4:00 pm - Head to reception at Vinegar Hill Mall 107 W. Cook St.

(2 blocks south of Capitol Bldg.) - NEW!!

5:00 pm - Buses depart for home (boarding at Vinegar Hill Mal) - NEW!! Parking: Several parking garages are located near the Convention Center.

Archived