Queen v. Alvarez and Berlin

On 05/09/2013, a class action complaint for declaratory judgment and injunctive relief was filed in the United States District Court for the Northern District of Illinois, Andre Queen v Alvarez and Berlin, 13 cv 03483. The complaint essentially seeks to enforce the Moore ruling. [i looked but could not find another thread on this case].

Queen v. Alvarez.pdf

37. Absent a class action, most members of the Class would find the cost of litigating their claims to be prohibitive and will have no effective remedy. The class treatment of common questions of law and fact is superior to multiple individual actions throughout the State or to piecemeal litigation in that it conserves the resources of the courts and litigators and promotes consistency and efficiency of adjudication.

Thanks and good luck to Andre and Maria ! (and thanks to whomever is paying our lawyers, maybe it's the NRA, but I'm not sure, doesn't matter).

One State, One Law on the Right to Bear Arms.

Edited by Howard Roark

Oh you've gotta be kidding me. I just lost an entire write-up. OK basic issues here (I'm NOT going into this again, not tonight). Is the class certifiable? Yes. It meets all of the four prerequisites under FRCP Rule 23(a) and then meets at least two, maybe all three of the (one one requried) requirements under subsection b. The issue is that WHEN will it be certified. Sometimes it takes years, sometimes months.

One thing I will say, it's a VERY good thing having Judge St. Eve presiding over this case. She's the one who sentenced Rezko to 10.5 yrs in prison. She issued a scathing opinion in the Abbate civil case last December, denying vacatur and upholding the civil judgment and verdict in the Obrycka v. City of Chicago and Anthony Abbate case. Remember that one? CPD officer beats a woman in a bar, CPD does nothing, Chicago says screw you even though said beating was caught on surveillance and disseminated to every news outlet in the Western Hemisphere, Chicago loses at trial, $850k judgment awarded, BIG SURPRISE! She's a Bush II appointee. Put on the bench at the ripe old age of 36, youngest woman to ever be appointed to the federal bench. Good chance her name will come up for a SCOTUS nomination as she's not very old.

Reading the prayer for relief makes me just roll my eyes. Just having to ask the Court to enjoin Alvarez and Berlin from enforcing a law that they will be enjoined from enforcing on June 10th...uh yeah, that's right, it's come to this. Asking the Court to rule...in line with precedent set by CA7, that's a no-brainer that St. Eve would do that as she could be removed from the bench for not doing so. She has to follow Circuit precedent, but how narrowly or widely, who knows. Also take note, this isn't just people who live in Cook and DuPage. The class also includes those who travel to Cook and DuPage. It could theoretically include ALL FOID card holders. It also asks for "relief the court deems proper" aka compensatory damages. If this were an individual capacity suit, punitive damages would be on the table but even $10/pop for 700k people, $7M. No way would it be $10/each card holder. Can't compensate for a lifetime's worth of civil rights deprivation but if you could, it sure wouldn't be $10.

Eh, more on all of this tomorrow but here's Amended Exhibit "A" from the docket, a scan of a piece from the Tribune from March 28th :P Guess what that's about hehe.

AmendedExhibitA.pdf

Here's the docket for the case, I'll keep it updated. It's not linking the docket entries to any actual documents, just go to the root directory for the case.

http://ia601702.us.a...3284.docket.htm

This part, not great. In short, first hearing is set for 10 days AFTER default carry set to begin, 10 days AFTER civil rights violations commence.

"MINUTE entry before Honorable Amy J. St. Eve: Initial status hearing set for 6/20/13 at 8:30 a.m. in courtroom 1241. Parties shall refer to Judge St. Eve's web page at www.ilnd.uscourts.gov and file a joint status report by 6/17/13 as set forth in the Initial Status Conferences procedure. Mailed notice (kef, ) (Entered: 05/10/2013)"

Edited by skinnyb82

Also take note, this isn't just people who live in Cook and DuPage. The class also includes those who travel to Cook and DuPage. It could theoretically include ALL FOID card holders.

May be broader. Could include the whole country, limited to people who have the right to keep arms under the 2A.

Well actually its very probable that Dart's garbage will be shot down but it depends on how Judge St. Eve interprets Moore. "Reasonable restrictions" remember? Dart's restrictions are not even close to reasonable and the judge is, well I'm still reading her opinions and orders in a bunch of other civil cases to get an idea of how she might rule in this case.

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk 2

Also take note, this isn't just people who live in Cook and DuPage. The class also includes those who travel to Cook and DuPage. It could theoretically include ALL FOID card holders.

May be broader. Could include the whole country, limited to people who have the right to keep arms under the 2A.

I don't think it would include ALL FOID card holders. There are quite a few here on record as saying they would never come north of our very own Mason Dixon Line, LOL!