Glock ring slide assist

RandyP

I'm 70+ and arthritis has limited my grip strength, it saddens me to admit. This device is SUPERB and makes racking my Glock 19 slide absolutely effortless. I almost can't believe it is all metal, very robust and is a scant $12. An exceptional deal IMHO. I 100% heartily recommend this rather than a plastic device for any Glock shooter. It replaces the slide backplate making for a very simple install. I have a similar Tandemcross Halo ring on my Ruger MK3 and my praise for it is the same, though it costs almost 4 times as much.

As I frequently say - 'Getting old is easy, it's this being old that is a real challenge.'

Slide racking assist

glockslidering.jpg.6d1f71206a14802d19cb391e4e78c2d0.jpg

I don't like that either, a friend uses a U-Sonic to clean. It works for him, but is an added expense, if you don't have one already. 

I like revolvers, they work, and if it doesn't go bang, just pull again; They are easy to load, they don't jam and you don't need ninja skills to clear jams.

Cleaning is a snap. 

I do like the smaller tip versions, which you can remove the slide to clean. Some of the mini/micro Beretta model point great and shoot well. 

In you case, a 12 ring sounds like a good, "KISS," solution. ;)

Carry-On

JQ 

On 1/22/2024 at 6:55 PM, Black Flag said:

I'll never have another fixed barrel .380.  
Not while there are so many locked breech alternatives.

Is the recoil significantly different...

On 1/22/2024 at 8:08 PM, ealcala31 said:

Is the recoil significantly different...

Oh boy, heck yea.

Compare two that are about equal in weight, shoot .380, but have different operating mechanisms.
(Sig Sauer P238 or Kimber Micro) vs ( Sig Sauer P230 or Walther PPK ) come to mind.

The P238 will weigh less than either and recoil less.

Edited by Black Flag
added a detail.

I run a Beretta full size with a Holo on it and it does make it easy to rack and you can use it to do one hand racks in an emergency. My one concern is putting stress on the optic causing it to become out of alignment. I'm beating mine pretty good to see if it moves. Love the optic for older eyes, besides, I shot an optic in USPSA Open for years. My gun has been milled to seat the optic lower and also help keep it locked in. Some of the newer guns come milled for them from the factory. 

It does make the firearm take up more space and limits carry options. 

No two people are alike, it's up to you to try the options and find out what works for you. In my younger days, I would never have considered a should holster and tell my students to avoid them unless they really have there sh8t wired. In the winter and when seated, this is a great option with some notable safety issues. I used to carry the 17+1 with one spare mag. Since I had to go with 15 round mags I go 15+1 and two extra mags on the other side, so now instead of carrying 35 rounds, I carry 46 rounds. :P

If a $14 ring on the slide works for you then great. If you carry a backup micro, a tip-up would be a great option. 

Edited by John Q Public

I myself would go with an optic.  

If you have a MOS cut, then get the holosun SCS.

If you need to have it milled then go with RMR.   

Just know if that ring snags on something and breaks the backplate, then your striker assembly is going to fly out and your gun is kaput.  I think 10 years ago there was a backplate that had little wings on the side that stuck out kind of like on a HK VP9.  People had issues with the wings contacting stuff and cracking the backplate. 

On 1/23/2024 at 1:20 PM, John Q Public said:

No two people are alike, it's up to you to try the options and find out what works for you. In my younger days, I would never have considered a should holster and tell my students to avoid them unless they really have there sh8t wired. In the winter and when seated, this is a great option with some notable safety issues.

Many years ago, I had a shoulder holster that IIRC was made by Safariland. At first, I really liked it. It was a horizontal carry. I only used it during the winter so it was concealed under my jacket. One day though, from moving around and going over some stuff, my arm must have hit the snap tab and my S&W 5903 came loose and fell out. Unfortunately I didn't realize it right away as I didn't hear it hit the ground as was traveling across some snow covered ground. 

It had always been a concern with the horizontal position since when I first started using it but had been secure up to that day. Maybe it was a freak occurrence but I never trusted it after that. I might consider one that was vertical but never one that is horizontal ever again.

"Just know if that ring snags on something and breaks the backplate, then your striker assembly is going to fly out and your gun is kaput.  I think 10 years ago there was a backplate that had little wings on the side that stuck out kind of like on a HK VP9.  People had issues with the wings contacting stuff and cracking the backplate. "

One of the concerns I had with any of the polymer slide assists. Had a polymer assist ring on my Ruger Mark snap like a twig after brief usage, went with the all metal one afterwards, no issues. On the Glock there's not many edges on the round metal ring to snag on anything in normal use, but I plan to be cautious. FWIW the backplate portion of this assist appears to be as robust as the OEM one. Range time will tell. For now the 19 isn't in my carry rotation.

@Mikey,

I hear you Mike, I have a custom rig and have tested, and am comfortable. The snap is protected and I'm good with it. The position is about 45 degrees, it is a horiz rig, but has lots of adjustment. It's made by Craft Holsters and is a work of art in itself. https://www.craftholsters.com/leather-shoulder-holster-system

I wouldn't try and convince anyone to use this type of rig, in fact I tell all students it is not something I would recommend for them. My biggest concerns are pointing the gun at people behind you, and sweeping people when drawing and acquiring the target. One also needs to take care not to sweep yourself when drawing. The 45 degree, muzzle down, limits rearward sweep, but does not eliminate it. 

It does have weak points, but so does any holster or carry system without proper training. 

JQ

Edited by John Q Public

On 1/24/2024 at 12:55 PM, John Q Public said:

@Mikey,

I hear you Mike, I have a custom rig and have tested, and am comfortable. The snap is protected and I'm good with it. The position is about 45 degrees, it is a horiz rig, but has lots of adjustment. It's made by Craft Holsters and is a work of art in itself. https://www.craftholsters.com/leather-shoulder-holster-system

I wouldn't try and convince anyone to use this type of rig, in fact I tell all students it is not something I would recommend for them. My biggest concerns are pointing the gun at people behind you, and sweeping people when drawing and acquiring the target. One also needs to take care not to sweep yourself when drawing. The 45 degree, muzzle down, limits rearward sweep, but does not eliminate it. 

It does have weak points, but so does any holster or carry system without proper training. 

JQ

Not to mention that if you are carrying a larger weapon, it tends to poke out the rear, especially if you lean over or cover garment gets pulled tight.

@ragsbo

No, that depends on the position of the rig, in fact this is the most concealable, non printing way I carry. I'm a big guy, so this has something to do with it as well.  I float the belt fasteners, so the firearm will slide forward a bit when I lean forward. This prevents it from sticking out the back and also brings it closer to my hand. 

As I said, each to their own and I am not advocating anyone use this type of rig, I'm saying it works well for me in winter. A lightweight shirt in summer, could negate it's stealth properties as you suggest. The heavy garments of winter make it invisible. In summer, I do right hip primary, left ankle backup. 

Carry on

Edited by John Q Public