Combo card questions

On 12/5/2022 at 8:21 PM, Squints08 said:

My father in-law got his combo card in the mail today as well and he’s been deceased since 6/2020. Does Illinois really not have the ability to eliminate deceased persons from this database? 

Not sure if they send out notices to the ISP when someone dies.  But was he a democrat?  Just asking cause that would explain a lot!  /S

On 12/5/2022 at 7:25 PM, birdman1967 said:

My cousin just received his combo card today and mine is on its way. Upon reviewing his card, there are no expiration dates on the card. How will we know when to start planning for ccw renewal? I find it out that no exp date is on the card, essentially if it's on file somewhere, it can always be valid? 

Correct, there are no expiration dates on the card. 

That does not mean that it does not expire.

Here is a short document from the ISP discussing this:
https://www.ispfsb.com/public/downloadableresource.ashx?id=81

I think that ultimately it means that you have to carry a card

that anyone who checks it will need to do a web lookup on it to see if it's valid.

I think this topic has been discussed here a lot, but let's stay on topic please.

On 12/5/2022 at 8:25 PM, birdman1967 said:

My cousin just received his combo card today and mine is on its way. Upon reviewing his card, there are no expiration dates on the card. How will we know when to start planning for ccw renewal? I find it out that no exp date is on the card, essentially if it's on file somewhere, it can always be valid? 

You have to check online for expiration. The FOID and the CCL expiration can be the same or different. Supposedly ISP should send you a notice 180 days prior to any expiration, but many people don't get them. (Personally, I got 3: email, text, and USPS. USPS arrived after I had already applied for renewal.)

On 12/6/2022 at 7:37 AM, bmyers said:

So, if they have to get online and check anyway, why do we need the card? Wouldn't the DL serve the same purpose as ID and then the State could save money by not having to print out cards that all they do is then go online to see if it is real.

A license is a concept. It's the permission you have from a granting authority to do something (drive a car, play a song in public, etc.). In the case of a driver's license, the card is a "license document" or "proof of license." In the case of a FOID  and CCL, it's proof that the keeping and bearing of arms aren't rights (in Illinois).

• 3 weeks later...

Eventually, Illinois and most of these "license" or "permit" schemes will be struck down. I think the next frontier, for the so-called "anti-violence" movement will be firearm transport, or implementing some form of  state-wide registration, where you can only "register" a certain amount of firearms, in the state of your residence - all to allegedly pass muster in the post-Bruen world. 

That's what Mexico does. You don't need a permit. You don't need a license. You are constitutionally guaranteed a certain number of firearms by their laws. 

When these license and permit schemes end up getting struck down, we'll see bizarre efforts - possibly even attempts from certain Chicago politicians 

to enact similar madness. 

I don't think such propositions would fair, as well, but I do see that being where they'll go..

Archived