Buying ammo online with new foid cards

cnwfan3

Here's an update.  I just received and email back from https://www.natchezss.com/ that said my foid card has been updated on my account and I'm good to go.  So it looks like at least Natchez Shooter Supply is willing to use the new foid cards and do the foid check.  This is good news as I though nobody would be willing to sell to IL anymore if the our foid card didn't have an expiration date anymore.

If anyone has experience with any other online sellers that are willing to sell ammo using the new foid cards, please share.  As I upload my foid to other sellers, I'll update this thread.

I am betting that most out of state sellers are not well versed on the new FOID Check rules. I'm thinking it will take a few years for them to understand how it works. That's where we'll see if their shipping policy to IL will change. 

That's what I was thinking as well.  But Natchez Shooters Supply took my new foid (with no exp date) and said I'm good to buy ammo from them.  Now whether or not they are actually running the foid check is another story.

I'm going to try a few other places as well and see what they say (Target sports, SGammo, Midway, etc).  Hopefully I'll have good results there too.

My understanding, and it's this way when I got my new combo FOID/CCL card, is that your FOID shows no expiration date on the card itself as before.  However, if you log into the portal you would have used when you applied for your FOID/CCL, you can see there is clearly and expiration date there.  So when you go to purchase ammunition or a firearm, the FFL is supposed to run your FOID card number through a check to determine if your FOID is valid.  Although things could change again, as apparently the state supreme court was hearing arguments regarding the FOID today, as well as the US Supreme Court has the case I think from NY regarding their status as a May Issue state in regards to getting a CCL.  Depending how those 2 cases go and if the US Supreme Court really pushes the limits, who knows what that will look like for Illinois.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/27/2022 at 3:13 AM, Euler said:

I noticed that Battlehawk Armory (in Iowa) has (recently, I think) adopted a policy that it will not ship ammo to anywhere in Illinois, presumably in response to the new FOID. We join the list whose previous and ongoing members include California, New Jersey, New York, Massachusetts, Connecticut, and DC.

That's what I was afraid of.

• 1 month later...

Archived