Read before FOID/CCL Renewal PLUS Address Change - getting locked out of the system

Molly B.

I also am in the same boat as I only read the first couple of lines in the pop-up and went ahead and changed my address for my CCL. All I received in the mail was my FOID and it has my new address and my address has been changed online. I didn't receive my CCL. Logged into the state police website and my CCL says Pending.. It doesn't expire until 4/11/2020 I have tried calling them about a 100 times and every time the line is busy and I get the recording and then it hangs up on me..

Is there anything I can do? Will I be able to renew once I am within the 90 days? I took the 3 hour renewal course and have my certificate in hand but am not seeing the renewal button on the website when I login..

If the renewal button does not appear by Jan. 15, let me know.

• 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I wish I would have discovered this community and thread specifically before going in to renew my CCL for the first time. My CCL is due to expire on 6//24, and after creating a new account, I was confused by the warning message that the address on my DL needed to match. I had recently updated my DL and thus the addresses on my FOID, CCL, and DL were out of sync. I went through the change of address process, paid the $80.00 fee (holy cow), and now my CCL status is stuck in "Under Review". If I try to press the "Renew" button in the CCL section, I'm given an error message that says I cannot access the licensing wizard. If I try to call the automated phone line, it encounters an error when trying to process my renewal also. This really is a terrible design on their part.

I believe I may have lucked out here due to Covid-19, where I can safely wait for this to be unlocked before trying to renew my CCL even after it expires without facing any penalty, but it is still very frustrating to have wasted $80.00 and gotten locked out of the process for something that it doesn't sound like I needed to do in the first place. I wish they would make it more clear on their website that you can indicate a change of address whilst completing the CCL renew process. Does anyone know if it's possible to get a refund for this, or cancel this out so I can do it all at once, or is it not even worth the hassle of trying?

Edited by zuidz67

Hello Molly, back in September of 2019 I appealed my foid card denial by certified mail. I have not heard anything back from them. I’ve tried calling them but not able to get through. I’ve read something about faxing them. Can you give me more info on that and what all needs to be included in the fax? Thank you

Depending on the reason for the denial, a FAX can sometimes prompt movement of an appeal. Send me a private message about your denial.

• 3 weeks later...
Just went through the change of address for CCL/FOID (expire 5-24). Clicked on CCL and FOID was added automatically. No issues other than the $80+$1.80 fee for both. We’ll see how long it takes. FWIW, I changed my DMV info prior but not my physical DL yet. From what the DMV site says, I cannot go in yet for an update.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Refreshing this topic here, folks. Any assistance would be appreciated.

FOID renewal is under review and extended under COVID-19. CCL is active. However, I've moved (within state) since submitting renewal and have emailed ISP for guidance. No response as of yet.

Address has been updated & confirmed with ILSOS.

Is there a recommended protocol for updating my address for both cards while one is currently under renewal/review?

Much thanks.

Edited by AmphOne

Since you have already updated with Secretary of State, there probably will be a problem with the FOID address not matching. At this point, you probably should go ahead and do the address change. If FOID won't let you log in the change, try logging in and doing the address change for the CCL.

This could of course cause a further delay for the FOID arrival.

Thank you, Molly. I appreciate the feedback.

For anyone following, I was able to update CCL address successfully. There was no option to make the change to the FOID.

CCL status changed to 'address change under review', but does show correctly at login.

Let the extended wait continue.

Thanks again.

• 4 weeks later...

Good Morning,

I have a series of FOID/CCL address change/renewal/application questions.

My daughter was married last October 3. She changed her DL address 2/3/21. Her CCL expires this October and her FOID expires in December 2023.

How does she correct her address on the FOID and apply for her CCL renewal without problems?

Her husband submitted his DL address change in late January. He submitted his FOID address change in late Jan. It has not changed on the website yet.

He wants to submit his first CCL application. How should they accomplish this without trouble?

Daughter first - DO NOT REQUEST NAME OR ADDRESS CHANGE!
1. when the renew option appears on her dashboard sometime around June/July she will log in and click RENEW.

2. In the renewal application process she will change her last name to new name and enter her maiden name in the box designated for maiden name.

3. She will move her old address to her address history.

4. She will enter her new address in the 'current' address box.

Son-in-law - His FOID address change may have him locked out of the system and unable to apply for CCL online. He can try. However, if he is locked out, he may need to apply via the phone system - or just wait until FOID change goes through.