Witness Slip Instructions

C0untZer0

Here is how I fill out a witness slip.

In Section I. "IDENTIFICATION"

I fill out the self-explanatory stuff, first and last name in the name field, street address, city and zip code.

Under "Firm Business Or Agency" I type in "On behalf of self"

Just a note here - please do not misrepresent yourself. If you are not designated and authorized to represent a group in an official capacity, please do not say that you do. Just because you are a member of the National Rifle Association doesn't mean that you represent the NRA. Just because you are a gun owner doesn't mean that you represent all gun owners.

For "Title" I type two characters - "NA" I don't use a slash in the title field because the slash is not an accepted character for this field and the form won't accept a slash. You won't be able to submit the Witness Slip with a slash in this field.

I also type out my e-maill address in the Email field so I can get a confirmation that my witness slip was submitted and so I can double check that it was filled out correctly.

I also put my phone number in the phone field.

In Section II. "REPRESENTATION" I type in "Self"

Again, unless you are a lobbyist or representing a group in an official capacity - just type in "Self".

In Section III. "POSITION" I choose Opponent (most times when we are filling out witness slips we are opposing oppressive anti-Second Amendment legislation. If we were supporting a carry bill we would choose Proponent). Make sure you actually click inside the round radio button and that the radio button gets highlighted. Simply clicking on the text portion of the form will not work, you need to click INSIDE the radio button. Its important to make sure that the correct choice is selected and highlighted here, and that this section is filled out correctly.

Be sure to use the scroll bar to move up and down on the screen - using the arrow keys can change your vote of "Opponent" or "Proponent".

Under Section IV. "Testimony (Check all that apply) I only click in the check box "Record of Appearance Only"

Then I check the box "I Agree to the ILGA Terms of Agreement."

In the box that says "Type in the text above" I type in the letters and numbers that are visible.

I click the button that says "Create (Slip) and the Witness Slip is created and submitted.

post-3474-0-05617000-1357227983_thumb.jpg

Here is a PDF which shows everything except the radio buttons or check boxes selected:
Witness Slip.pdf

Edited to add: How to modify your witness slip
if you accidentally mark "proponent" or "opponent" wrong

Modifying your Witness Slip:
On the left side,
Click on âMyILGAâ, then
Click on âManage Slipsâ and find the slip you would like to modify on the right, then
Click on the âViewâ icon, then
Scroll down to âIII. POSITIONâ and modify your position accordingly, then
Click on the âUpdate (Slip)â icon, located on the lower right.

To simplify the witness slip process:

1. Go to http://my.ilga.gov/ and register/create an account.

2. Confirm Email

3. Log in if not logged in automatically

4. Go to your profile:

http://my.ilga.gov/Profile

Edit your profile - put NA for organization, and title. For "Firm/Business or Agency:" put "On behalf of self" For "Representation:" put "Self"

Just a note here - please do not misrepresent yourself. If you are not designated and authorized to represent a group in an official capacity, please do not say that you do. Just because you are a member of the National Rifle Association doesn't mean that you represent the NRA. Just because you are a gun owner doesn't mean that you represent all gun owners.

5. You can now create witness slips quickly and easily.

6. It also helps if you create a separate mail folder / mail box to organize the confirmation that you get from ILGA - that way if you are ever in doubt if you have already filed a witness slip on a bill or not, you can just pull up the confirmation e-mails and check them against Molly B's Action Alert post.

How to find which bills to create witiness slips for:

1) mauserme creates a thread when the IL Senate or the IL House is in session. The thread for the day is called "Illinois General Assembly mm/dd/yyyy" The threads will be in the Illinois Politics forum, and they will be tagged ILGA:

http://illinoiscarry...php?showforum=6

2) mauserme's thread usually has links to creating a witness slip. Occasionally, the notification as to which bills or amendment require immediate attention will come from Molly B. usually in a post called
"Action Alert... " like the example thread below:

http://illinoiscarry...=35444&hl=alert

The posts usually contains links to each witness slip. BTW - this is A LOT of cutting and pasting and typing - I am very thankful we have people who have so much dedication and so much energy to do this for us.

3) If you sign in to the ILGA.gov site with your account, before you click on the link provided in the "LegislativeIllinois General Assembly mm/dd/yyyy" thread - it will take you directly to the creation of the witness slip for the relevant bill,

4) Slips can be for the House or the Senate. There is a cut-off time to file a witness skip - electronic witness slips can be submitted up to the end of the day of the committee's scheduled date. (I'm not trying to encourage anyone to procrastinate on filing them) if you would like your witness slip to be tallied for the committee hearing, you should submit your slip well before the committee meets. My point is, try to file the witness slip as soon as possible. If you don't get it submitted before the committee meets, submit one anyway as your witness slip will still be part of the tally if the bill is heard on the House Floor.

Edited by C0untZer0

Here is how I fill out a witness slip.

In Section I. "IDENTIFICATION"

I fill out the self-explanatory stuff, first and last name in the name field, street address, city and zip code.

Under "Firm Business Or Agency" I type in "On behalf of self"

For "Title" I type type two characters - "NA" I don't use a slash in the title field because the slash is not a accepted character for this field and the form won't accept a slash. You won't be able to submit the Witness Slip with a slash in this field.

I also type out my e-maill address in the Email field so I can get a confirmation that my witness slip was submitted and so I can double check that it was filled out correctly.

I also put my phone number in the phone field.

In Section II. "REPRESENTATION" I again type in "On behalf of self"

In Section III. "POSITION" I choose Opponent (most times when we are filling out witness slips we are opposing oppresive anti-Second Amendment legislation. If we were suppporting a carry bill we would choose Proponent. Its important to make sure that an selection is filled out here and that this section is filled out correctly.

Under Section IV. "Testimony (Check all that apply) I only click in the check box "Record of Appearance Only"

Then I check the box "I Agree to the ILGA Terms of Agreement."

In the box that says "Type in the test above" I type in the letters and numbers that are visible.

I click the button that says "Create (Slip) and the Witness Slip is created and submitted.

post-3474-0-05617000-1357227983_thumb.jpg

Here is a PDF which shows everything except the radio buttons or check boxes selected:

Witness Slip.pdf

Well I got the ILGA account filled out after finding I could put NA in those organization,or business, representation and title boxes. However I don't see the witness slip form come up for me.

How is the witness slip system a on your honor sort of thing or can someone submit many of them to tilt the system?

I don't believe we should abuse this new system; as far as I can tell, once your name is on a slip, you're done, even if you have more than one email address. It's my understanding that sometimes names of proponents and opponents are read in the committee meeting and it seems to me that it would strike the members as somewhat bogus to hear the same name from the same town read multiple times.

That having been said, I see no problem with asking friends and family who don't have time or access but are willing to give you permission to use their names and email addresses so that you can submit witness slips on their behalf.

My feeling on this is, we legitimately have hundreds of real people going through the trouble to fill these out. The antis have no one - because they don't represent the people. If the antis can hold up just one bogus witness slip, JUST ONE ! they will use it to discredit the hard work of all of us. So I encourage people to fill them out with real information and to only make one and not make fictitious slips.

Edited by C0untZer0

Okay, I will admit to being dumb and will try to correct it by asking.

So a witness slip is just a nonbinding way of recording a specific persons feeling about a bill pro or con?

No reason, no explanation, nothing else but a nonbinding opinion poll? No possible downside?

Sorry to be obtuse but I want to make sure I understand things Prior to asking family and friends to something.

Thank you

NukemJim

Committee meetings have always been open to the public. When attending those meetings, one could, if he so chose, fill out a "witness slip", indicating your position on the issue, and whether you wished to speak personally, file a written statement or just show support/opposition by your presence. During the last session, these slips were put on line in the House so that even folks that could not personally attend could show their position on the issue. The format on the on line slip follows the same format as the physical slip that you fill out at the hearing itself. I suppose that's to allow for quicker, more accurate recording of 'yeas and nayes". The practice has expended to the Senate for this session.

So yes, it's a non binding way to show your position on the issue without actually having to attend the hearing.

Tim

• 1 month later...
Hello everyone. Just joined, and I am totally new to all of this. I made my profile on the ILGA site, but how do I find the bill or witness slip? I saw the link to the slip, just would like to know how to find it myself for future reference. I live in Chicago, and am looking forward to helping bring some much needed change to this state/city.

Done and filed and passed on to others. I cannt make the springfield meeting, much to my dissatisfaction, but I will make it to other. thank you all for standing with me for the defense of not our gun rights but "ALL" our rights!!

• 3 weeks later...

1) Go to the ILGA dashboard home page

2) Log in

3) On the left side you should see menu options, choose "MyILGA":

post-3474-0-32187400-1363054930_thumb.jpg

4) Clicking on "MyILGA" will drop down two more menu options. Choose "Vew Profile"

5) Click the "Edit" button in the lower right hand corner.

This will bring up your profile, it should look similar to this:

post-3474-0-08049300-1363055691_thumb.jpg

6) After you fill in all the information, click the "Update button in the lower right hand corner. post-3474-0-84839200-1363056004_thumb.jpg

Before I start clicking on Molly's witness slip links, I sign in to ILGA and just leave the page open. Clicking on a link on IllinoisCarry.com should open up another web page or tab for the specific witness slip, and you should be signed in, and most of the slip should be pre-populated with your profile info.

It helps to be registered and it helps to create an e-mail folder where you keep all of the notifications.

Some bills may bounce around in committee for a while and mauserme routinely reminds people to file witness slips.

I forget which slips I've filed so I'll go to the e-mail folder where I keep them and I scroll through them to see if I've got it covered or not.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry - I'm new here and I'm in the dark. I would like to participate in the fight to promote and protect our 2nd amendment rights. Submitting whitness slips sounds like a good course of action. I don't know enough yet to participate. Please help me with some ansers to these questions:

1. How do you know what bills are being voted on in a "timely" mannor. How do you get notified to take imediate action? Is it through this forum? An e-mail list?

2. You show instructions on how to fill out a Whitness slip, but I don't know the process or web links to launch the whitness slip application? It would seem you whould have to do it from a web page that is specifically for one bill as the bill number is already on the header of the whitness slip form. How does one get to the slip?

3. Are these slips only for the senate or do they go to the house? Do you have to submitt the slip on the day the bill is being heard on the floor? Do they have any impact if they are submitted early?

Thank's

1) mauserme creates a thread when the IL Senate or the IL House is in session. The thread for the day is called "Illinois General Assembly mm/dd/yyyy" The threads will be in the Illinois Politics forum, and they will be tagged ILGA:

http://illinoiscarry.com/forum/index.php?showforum=6

2) mauserme's thread usually has links to creating a witness slip. Occasionally, the notification as to which bills or amendment require immediate attention will come from Molly B. usually in a post called
"Action Alert... " like the example thread below:

http://illinoiscarry...=35444&hl=alert

Molly's post usually also contains links to each witness slip. BTW - this is A LOT of cutting and pasting and typing - I am very thankful we have people who have so much dedication and so much energy to do this for us.

3) If you sign in to the ILGA.gov site with your account, before you click on the link provided in the "LegislativeIllinois General Assembly mm/dd/yyyy" thread - it will take you directly to the creation of the witness slip for the relevant bill,

From this page you can either create an account if you don't have one or use the login in the upper right hand corner:

http://my.ilga.gov/Account/Register

4) Slips can be for the House or the Senate. There is a cut-off time to file a witness skip - electronic witness slips can be submitted up to the end of the day of the committee's scheduled date. (I'm not trying to encourage anyone to procrastinate on filing them). My point is, try to file the witness slip as soon as possible.

Edited by C0untZer0

To simplify the witness slip process:

1. Go to http://my.ilga.gov/ and register/create an account.

2. Confirm Email

3. Log in if not logged in automatically

4. Go to your profile edit your profile - put NA for organization, and title. For "Firm/Business or Agency:" put "On behalf of self" For "Representation:" put "Self"

5. You can now create witness slips quickly and easily.

6, It also helps if you create a separate mail folder / mail box to organize the confirmation that you get from ILGA - that way if you are ever in doubt if you have already filed a witness slip on a bill or not, you can just pull up the confirmation e-mails and check them against Molly B's Action Alert post.

Edited by C0untZer0

• 9 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

In the position section, when you click on either Proponent or Opponent make sure you click inside the circle (radio button) or your choice will not be recorded correctly.

For example if you were an opponent to HB 4319 and you clicked the word "Opponent" instead of clicking inside the radio button, the form will highlight the Proponent radio button - the exact opposite of what you want to file.

Examples are shown below:

post-3474-0-16200100-1392726862_thumb.gif

post-3474-0-46837800-1392726699_thumb.gif

Double check your choice to make sure that the correct radio button is selected before moving on to the next section, in the example below Opponent has been chosen.

post-3474-0-69871700-1392726880_thumb.gif

Edited by C0untZer0