Photo

Aimpoint Red Dots, What's YOUR opinion?

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#31 Smallbore

• Members
  • 1,295 posts

Posted 16 November 2017 - 04:32 PM

Unless you are old with bad eye why use a crutch? You still need a good consistent cheek weld for any accuracy.

Speed. Rapid target acquisition. both eyes open. Indoors or CQB applications.
And all the above at night as well.
I will accept the night purpose, but I would argue that for precision a red dot is slower than irons.

#32 Jam77

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 16 November 2017 - 04:50 PM

My fav out of my optics is by far the acog. I also have a eotech and a vortex sparc ar. The eotech is my least favorite.

I had two for real legit Trijicon ACOGs.
The first was an ECOS model with the little red dot riding piggy back on top of the main ACOG body.
I want to say that was right around $1,200.... new.
The other one I bought was used off the Brian Enos forums classifieds.
I want to say it was like $700 to $800...used.
The sad thing about it is that I never had a chance to try close in targets using the Bindon Aiming Concept (BAC) with both eyes open. I sold them off to pay off a credit card...figured a credit check would used for my background at my current job.
Anywhooo.... my point being is you could probably buy 2 maybe even 3 new Aimpoints for the price of one new ACOG.
I currently have an Elcan M145 that I have never mounted.
It is a weird set up with the scope adjustments built into the scope base.
It absolutely blows-my mind that the poster above had such bad luck with an Elcan Spectre model. Probably through MidwayUSA that is like a $2,500 scope.
. I have a ta11 acog that I really like. I’m sure the aim points are fine but I wanted something with magnification. That and i figured I already spent 3k buying the rifle why not spend another 1k and make it absolutely bad a..

#33 Buzzard

• Members
  • 9,106 posts

Posted 16 November 2017 - 06:48 PM

I'm getting LOTS of good information and good ideas too! Looks like I've got more research to do.

I was also wondering if buying used optics is a good idea? 

#34 Jam77

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted Yesterday, 09:19 AM

I wouldnt hesitate buying a used acog but I would email trijicon the serial number to verify its age and authenticity. A friend of mine picked up a ta11 acog used for 650. The tritium is good for approx 15 years and only costs approx 180 bucks to get them renewed from trijicon.

Edited by Jam77, Yesterday, 09:20 AM.

#35 skinnyb82

• Members
  • 6,264 posts

Posted Yesterday, 10:59 AM

Yes, lots of fakes being sold out there on the secondary market. L3 has a "how to spot a fake EOTech" on its site. Fakes or stolen from the military. I almost bought a KAC rear flip sight that was stolen from the USMC. Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk
NRA Member
SAF Member
C&R License Holder

#36 Hoffsoft

• Supporting Members Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts

Posted Today, 08:59 PM

I have a T1 and a Pro. There is no better deal out there for a “I can beat the h*ll out of this” optic than a Pro at that price point for a true 1x red dot. Great glass, battery life is forever and crazy fast inside 200. Going past 200? Get your wallet out for a good 1-6 as discussed above. But on a home defense AR, you can’t beat it.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Glock43