.....and the Pigs are Flying

Elmer Fudd

Well...there was rather healthy debate over whether the Libertarian candidate, Chad Grimm's presence was going to have an impact on the Illinois Governor's race. The Chicago Tribune published an article today that indicates that Grimm is currently on track to receive somewhere around four percent of the vote. The article currently shows Rauner ahead of Quinn by two percent...which is well within the 3.5 percent margin of error. What does that mean....well it quite likely means that if the four percent represents votes that Rauner would have received if Grimm wasn't there it will explain why Rauner loses the election to Quinn if the poll is accurate. Hence, rather than merely being speculation, it appears that there is a very real chance that Grimm's being on the ballot is going to result in four more years of Gov. Jello....higher income taxes, more attempts at an AWB and everything else we have come to detest.

The article is here.

Who's to say that the people that are voting for Grimm were going to vote for Rauner? I personally know a handful of people that are lifelong Democrats that are voting for Grimm because they can't stand Rauner or Quinn, but have also said that if they had a choice between just Quinn and Rauner, they'd have voted Quinn.

I'm not agreeing with their mindset, but just wanted to throw that out there.

If the margin of error is 3.5%... is it possible Grimm only has 0.5% of the vote? And that this is a BS excuse for either side in case they lose?

Possible but highly unlikely...the alternative end of the range is Grimm pulls 7.5% of the vote which would be huge....though it won't win an election. Once again, the primary concern, at least the way I see it is that there seems to be a significant number of people that dislike Rauner enough to place a vote for Grimm...fully realizing that he won't win....under any reasonable set of assumptions that one could envision. Therefore, anything that takes votes away from Rauner increases the chances of a win for Jello....which is the worst possible result.

Anything the unions are against - I'm for !!

This^^^

Got a BIL that's a "business agent" for the carpenters union too. Even though I often spend holidays over there; I don't see him much because he's on the phone continuously "baby-sitting" disgruntled union workers!!!! Mainly because they cannot pass a piss test at X company and want him to bump them up or down for the next job.

I don't like Rauner either, but the thought that we could end up with Quinn for another 4 years is enough to make me vote for Rauner. If the race wasn't close, I'd vote for Grimm but since it's a tight race, I want Quinn OUT.

Same here. Last two presidential elections voted Libertarian. Knew it would be an Obama blow-out in Illinois. But this time around voting for Rauner. Basically voted for every Republican on the ballot. Time to send a message to Chicago.

look what the librarian candidate in SC is doing - pulling out and encouraging folks to vote democratic

The actions of an individual do not represent an entire group. You could just as easily call this person a LINO as we call many Republicans RINOs.

And further, you don't even have your facts right. The guy who dropped out in SC was a Republican and supported the Democrat. The Libertarian is still running.

http://www.thestate.com/2014/10/28/3773874/ervin-drops-out-of-governors-race.html

Archived