we should just rent a cop . .

Tvandermyde

Hey. If we could all afford to hire 24/7 police protection, that would be great. Security-wise, nothing would beat an armed police officer following you around. But since we can't afford as much (or at least I certainly can't), I would be happy to settle for the right to protect myself. :headbang1:

Hey. If we could all afford to hire 24/7 police protection, that would be great. Security-wise, nothing would beat an armed police officer following you around. But since we can't afford as much (or at least I certainly can't), I would be happy to settle for the right to protect myself. smile.gif

Here's what you should really take from the story:

1. Chicago Police, even when paid to protect a single person exclusively, will still arrive late.

2. Chicago Police Officers, can not hit the broad side of a barn or two offenders even at point blank range. (The Eagles would probably have been just fine)

3. Chicago Police Officers, even with the offenders car blocked into a driveway, will still allow them to get back in their freakin' car and drive away.

4. Chicago Police Officers, after formal training and on the street experience, will still only manage to get a partial description ("possibly purple") of the car and somehow completely miss the license number

Here's what you should really take from the story:

1. Chicago Police, even when paid to protect a single person exclusively, will still arrive late.

2. Chicago Police Officers, can not hit the broad side of a barn or two offensers even at point blank range. (The Eagles would probably have been just fine)

3. Chicago Police Officers, even with the offenders car blocked into a driveway, will still allow them to get back in their freakin' car and drive away.

4. Chicago Police Officers, after formal training and on the street experience, will still only manage to get a partial description ("possibly purple") of the car and somehow completely miss the license number

Ouch! I missed that they didn't apprehend the suspects. That's what I get for skimming the article instead of reading the whole thing.

The best thing to do when a Chicago LEO shoots at you is to stand still. You don't accidently want to run into one of their bullets.

While moderately funny, in most of the CPD shootings of late they have done pretty well at both hitting what they aim at and in the shoots being legit. If you exclude the one last year where the cop shot an unarmed guy 11 times and then three more times in the back while the victim lay bleeding to death on the ground. The family's lawyer is asking for $25 million. They won't get that much. Maybe half that.

On the other hand there was the cougar shooting incident a few years ago. I think they capped 6 air conditioners in the process. Nice shootin' boys!!

The great majority of Chicago Police Officers fire their weapon once a year at annual qualification. One of the reasons the State qualification course is so incredibly easy is that most of the cops in the State very rarely fire their weapons except when required to qualify.

I have to fire it every year (and pay my $100 fee) in order to maintain my illinois concealed carry permit and am appalled when I see how many cops have to refire it because they fail the first time.

And Bob, you are incredibly naive if you think what you wrote is the truth. Missed that one by mile buddy.

The great majority of Chicago Police Officers fire their weapon once a year at annual qualification. One of the reasons the State qualification course is so incredibly easy is that most of the cops in the State very rarely fire their weapons except when required to qualify.

That's true about the vast majority of patrol officers.

One of my best friends is a firearms trainer for a small town dept. He competes in the LEO leagues sometimes and can't believe how easy it is for him to beat most everyone there.

Two best stories I got from him lately:

One on a qualifier who can't shoot to save his own life and is assigned to desk duty and just waiting to retire and collect his pension. My buddy tells the guy he'll be at the range all day and will work with him as long as it takes so he shoots a good score. The guy just tells him he wants to get it over with and doesn't care. The guy does end up juuuust making it.

He also works part time for other town's special events. My buddy is at a football game and the other officer shows up and my buddy looks at him and says don't you think you forgot something? The other officer has an empty holster on his belt! Now my buddy is a shooter and asks the guy if he wants to borrow a gun. The other officer is surprised he has another handgun in the car let alone 3.

I used to see it all the time. LEO shows up to the range the night before a qualifier to practice and tells me proudly how they haven't cleaned their handgun since last year's qualifier.

Now....SWAT guys are another story. Lots of fun. The standard Chicago LEO......I'm sorry, but they couldn't make it in the private sector let alone ever learn to shoot.

Cops are just average human beings with the same wide range of interests as the rest of us. It is not all that surprising that many of them exhibit firearms proficiency just enough to keep their jobs. A lot of us maintain proficiency in areas of our employment just enough to get by too.

Chicago cops are mostly drawn from Chicago so probably have little exposure to firearms and probably little interest until they join the force.

If they had not been able to secure employment as a cop they might well have become garbage collectors or electricians. Why would you expect an unusually high degree of firearms proficiency or interest from a garbage collector or electrician?

Cops are just average human beings with the same wide range of interests as the rest of us. It is not all that surprising that many of them exhibit firearms proficiency just enough to keep their jobs. A lot of us maintain proficiency in areas of our employment just enough to get by too.

Chicago cops are mostly drawn from Chicago so probably have little exposure to firearms and probably little interest until they join the force.

If they had not been able to secure employment as a cop they might well have become garbage collectors or electricians. Why would you expect an unusually high degree of firearms proficiency or interest from a garbage collector or electrician?

THANK YOU BOB!

I didn't think I would get a chance to use my quad face palm!

I do think that my proficiency with TPS reports is a little different compared to someone's proficiency with a deadly weapon in public.

That being said, if the LEO's shooting skills are a problem, maybe people should work on raising the standards? provide better training etc.

I always assumed that range time was something that was provided by the department, is that not the case?

Cops are just average human beings with the same wide range of interests as the rest of us. It is not all that surprising that many of them exhibit firearms proficiency just enough to keep their jobs. A lot of us maintain proficiency in areas of our employment just enough to get by too. Chicago cops are mostly drawn from Chicago so probably have little exposure to firearms and probably little interest until they join the force. If they had not been able to secure employment as a cop they might well have become garbage collectors or electricians. Why would you expect an unusually high degree of firearms proficiency or interest from a garbage collector or electrician?

I wouldn't expect it from a garbage collector or electrician! They aren't going in harms way to protect anyone or anything where they might need to use a firearm.

A LEO , on the other hand , should be very proficient with every tool he might have to use especially a handgun.

I wouldn't expect it from a garbage collector or electrician! They aren't going in harms way to protect anyone or anything where they might need to use a firearm.

A LEO , on the other hand , should be very proficient with every tool he might have to use especially a handgun.

I think they are likely to have more proficiency than the average person just because they have some proficiency. A lot of people have little or no firearms proficiency and have little or no interest in it. It is likely that in Chicago the vast majority have little or no interest in firearms at all. Chicago cops are drawn from a pool of people who have had little chance to become interested in firearms because firearms have been all but banned to law abiding citizens in Chicago for so long.

Archived