I'm a 19 year old from Illinois who is looking into obtaining a FOID card

I'm a 19 year old from Illinois who is looking into obtaining a FOID card. I know that, in order for an individual under the age of 21 to obtain a FOID, that individual most obtain a parent's or guardian's signature. My situation, however, is not standard. My parents relocated to the state of Georgia in 2014 while I chose to remain in Illinois and live with family (namely my maternal grandparents and uncle). Is there any way I could obtain my FOID without a parent cosigning? Could a grandparent or my uncle cosign? I apologize if I appear ignorant. I'm a bit new to this and thus am trying to take baby steps and be advised along the way. Thank you!

I think this should help:

To be eligible for a FOID card, a person must be 21 years of age or have a parent or guardian sponsor that is eligible for a FOID card. An applicant must not be prohibited from possessing firearms in accordance with state or federal law.

Look up the ISP phone number, I'm not at home right now, sorry.

They can answer also.

Good Luck.

I am not a lawyer. Your grandparents would have to become your legal guardians if that is even possible with a 19 year old. Or you would have to become unemancipated from your parents.

(217) 782-7980

Probably not - there have been cases where people have tried - the state stalls and delays until you become 21 then moves to dismiss as you no longer have standing

I'm a 19 year old from Illinois who is looking into obtaining a FOID card. I know that, in order for an individual under the age of 21 to obtain a FOID, that individual most obtain a parent's or guardian's signature. My situation, however, is not standard. My parents relocated to the state of Georgia in 2014 while I chose to remain in Illinois and live with family (namely my maternal grandparents and uncle). Is there any way I could obtain my FOID without a parent cosigning? Could a grandparent or my uncle cosign? I apologize if I appear ignorant. I'm a bit new to this and thus am trying to take baby steps and be advised along the way. Thank you!

You should give it a try. It's only $10.

Let us know what you find out when you call the ISP. Hopefully one of your grandparents could be your "sponsor guardian". But Illinois certainly doesn't make it easy.

Mail the form to your parents out of state so they can sign and have it notarized. Then they can mail it to you or ISP, depending.

<-- Or that. I don't think it says your parents have to be in the United States. It would add some time, but no reason they couldn't sign it and notarize it out-of-country, and then mail it back to you.