Moore/Shepard Ruling Announced

Molly B.

I remember the Cheezburger meetup after the landmark McDonald decision. I was a lurker before that, but the decision was enough to convince me that there was nothing wrong with me just because I wanted to exercise my Constitutional right to keep and bear arms.

Hopefully there will be another victory informal meetup. and others can join in and carry the fire.

I want to be with you.

You cant

Please.

You can't. You have to carry the fire.

I dont know how to.

Yes you do.

Is it real? The fire?

Yes it is.

Where is it? I don't know where it is.

Yes you do. It's inside you. It was always there. I can see it.

~Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Edited by Mr. Fife

I'm coming in fairly late at this thread and the ruling (Finally at a computer today after hearing this on the radio earlier).

However I think this is a fantastic step, and will watch this as close as I can. I know it is the beginning of potentially a huge firestorm, but it is a huge win too.

Or it can be a whimper as well.

Rep. Brandon Phelps: “I said on the floor, ‘A lot of people who voted against this, one of these days, you’re going to wish you did, because of all the limitations and the safety precautions we put in this bill, because one of these days, the court’s going to rule and you’re not going to like the ruling.’ Today’s the day.”

Read more: http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2012/dec/11/court-ends-illinois-ban-on-concealed-weapons/#ixzz2EoWCkXaD

Perhaps I should say that I have been contacted by KHQA TV again for comments. Also I have had some interviews with newspapers on the recent opinion. In essence I have stated what I have stated all along. Illinois has a complete ban on a fundamental right to keep AND BEAR arms. In essence my spiel is as follows... perhaps some suggestions from this group might add to my thoughts.

My comments:

This decision has absolutely nothing to do with concealed carry. It has everything to do with removing a complete ban of the right to “bear” arms "ready-to-use" in the public way. Presently in Illinois there is a complete ban on a fundamental right bear arms that are loaded and ready-to-use in the public way. That has been removed and left to the legislature to decide in what “reasonable” manner they will “allow” the “bearing” or carrying of firearms ready-to-use. There may also be some restriction allowed for so called “sensitive” places such as schools. I repeat the decision made NO DISTINCTION as to whether the form of carry was open or concealed that I could see.

In my opinion the phraseology of the second amendment is clear, “the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.” It says, “shall not be infringed.” The phrase "shall not be infringed" was not dealt with in any meaningful way in this decision. It never ceases to amaze me how you can educate the common sense right out of man and they can come up with such a load of hogwash from something as simple as, “shall not be infringed!”

As to the order of the court it says nothing about review by the court of any legislation in 180 days. The order will take affect regardless of anything the legislature passes or fails to pass. If the new law is onerous and oppressive and unconstitutional the whole thing starts again… from scratch…! Never underestimate the Chicago Machine when it gets into full press mode. I like the comment the justices made in Ezzel v. City of Chicago: "...Chicago is thumbing its municipal nose at the Supreme Court."

Nevertheless we will celebrate this day and a battle won but will not forget that the war for Liberty continues unabated... It must be won one battle at a time...

Regards, Drd

Amen, thank you sir :thumbsup:

Barbara Flynn Currie was on Channel 7 in chicago saying that they can block concealed carry to the point that it is almost non exsisstant.

There are few things we can be sure of, but one of those things is that people like Currie are going to try anything they think might thwart the right to bear arms ...

That is simply a given.

And speculating here about ways they may go about doing so would be counter-productive.

I've had Como in my head ever since waking up this morning. Yes, I am only 31, but I have an old soul as evidenced by my appreciation of great music, hats (I always have a fedora, bowler, cap, etc... on), and I love to ballroom dance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVDzwGfNrPs

Edited by TyGuy

Yes, it should be phrased as the right to carry not just concealed carry.

That is EXACTLY right!

Indiana verbiage - "License to Carry a Handgun"

You all know my feelings on Open Carry. I'm not going to worry about it this time. Let Todd get us the best law he can. We have only one chance.

I personally favor concealed, over open carry (heavily) myself. Though of course I'm sure each has their own benefits and drawbacks, it can be nice to have choice. That of course almost goes without saying though, same as "to each their own". Though on subject, I think open carry being permitted (as a part of all of this) would be super beneficial, because it would preclude being made into a criminal if you were to accidentally 'print' while carrying concealed. (how would they arrest one for printing for 1/2 a second, when open carry is legal too)... Those are just my thoughts though, for whatever they're worth.

Good morning everyone. 179 days to go!

Anyone know how to make a countdown calendar for the website?

I already did:

Here you go

:D

Hey that's pretty cool. Can we get that up in the banner section somehow?

I didn't realize my little timer would be 'such a hit' LOL, I created a section for it in the back room (or whatever it's called) so that I don't have to cloud up the 'important' areas with my timer talk ;)

And I won't say OC and CC or nothing at all! I like the option of either one, but I understand it might be too large of a first step. I wouldn't like it ruled out as an extension down the road once all the hysteria dies down. I don't intend to start a CC/OC argument. I just prefer to frame the discussion as right to carry, especially because that is how the 7th worded it.