AR10 questions

TRJ

I built one on the DPMS pattern. It appears that, although Armalite is the "original", the majority of available parts, etc. are DPMS pattern. Uses standard 7.62 Pmags, but can also use USGI SR-25 mags and similar. I have had no problem with reliability with factory ammo. With reloads I have to be particular about using a small base full length die, and I trim to length every time. It is really accurate, and recoil is far less than my .308 bolt gun.

DPMS is quickly becoming the standard for AR-10 rifles. You're correct in that there is no compatibility between the DPMS and Armalite types.

I used this page as a guide when I built mine. AR-10 FAQ

Ultimately though I went with Aero Precision receivers, hand guard, and LPK.

There's also something to be said for the reliability of buying a complete rifle and there are deals to be had on the bare bones DPMS AR-10s and if you can get them to ship to you, the PSA PA-10 rifles.

Since I just built mine in the last 6 months I'd be happy to answer any questions that I can.

DPMS is quickly becoming the standard for AR-10 rifles. You're correct in that there is no compatibility between the DPMS and Armalite types.

There's also something to be said for the reliability of buying a complete rifle and there are deals to be had on the bare bones DPMS AR-10s and if you can get them to ship to you, the PSA PA-10 rifles.

Since I just built mine in the last 6 months I'd be happy to answer any questions that I can.

That link is great!

That link is great!

What gas block did you use? I have the Aero one I put together, I'm having trouble cycling. I used a no-name adjustable one, but have the Aero standard one to try out at some point. I've read that people really like the Syrac ones, I just was hoping that it wasn't necessary.

Armalite actually makes some models of their AR-10 that take PMAGS. I looked at one, but ultimately decided to piece together an Aero M5 from parts bought as each went on sale. I beleive that the only parts that arent Aero are the buttstock, gas block, and Gamma 762 muzzle brake. I don't have anything else to compare it to, but the brake seems to tame the recoil a good bit, at least compared to my Garand and even PTR 91. The muzzle doesn't rise as much as I expected.

ETA: spelling

I'm glad you posted this thread, because I've always been interested in building an AR-10 with two uppers....one for precision and one for 3 gun.

Yeah. Want one for precision and one tacticool if funding allows. I think the first one might have just as much spent on glass as it does on rifle, which is sobering.

I saw the PSA Gen 2 AR10 on deep discount reently. i was tempted, but ultimately decided to pass. I'll be watching this thread to see what you guys end up with. I was out shooting my 308 Bolt Action yesterday, and after the 4th round, the bolt is 100% stuck and won't budge. LOL Was shooting Fiocchi 150 grain ball, just breaking the barrel in and this is how my day ended.

Off to the gunsmith I go.

What gas block did you use? I have the Aero one I put together, I'm having trouble cycling. I used a no-name adjustable one, but have the Aero standard one to try out at some point. I've read that people really like the Syrac ones, I just was hoping that it wasn't necessary.

I balked at the price of the expensive adjustable gas blocks and I went with one from Radical Firearms. Although they have problems with their complete rifles, I figured they couldn't screw up a gas block to badly. It's adjustable, but I haven't felt the need to adjust it yet.

It took probably about 60 - 80 rounds to break in my AR-10 to get it to cycle correctly.

I've put about 300 rounds through mine now, breaking it in, getting it sighted and just paper punching and it's running fine so I guess it's about time to mess with the gas block and try to dial back the gas and tune out some of that recoil. Don't get me wrong, the recoil on a rifle length 11 lb rifle isn't bad but it could be better.

I balked at the price of the expensive adjustable gas blocks and I went with one from Radical Firearms. Although they have problems with their complete rifles, I figured they couldn't screw up a gas block to badly. It's adjustable, but I haven't felt the need to adjust it yet.

It took probably about 60 - 80 rounds to break in my AR-10 to get it to cycle correctly.

I've put about 300 rounds through mine now, breaking it in, getting it sighted and just paper punching and it's running fine so I guess it's about time to mess with the gas block and try to dial back the gas and tune out some of that recoil. Don't get me wrong, the recoil on a rifle length 11 lb rifle isn't bad but it could be better.

I looked at those back when I was putting it together, but they were out of stock everywhere. Thanks.

Have you looked at the Gamma 762 brakes? It's what I have on mine and I like it quite a bit.

I looked at those back when I was putting it together, but they were out of stock everywhere. Thanks.

Have you looked at the Gamma 762 brakes? It's what I have on mine and I like it quite a bit.

I looked at all sorts of muzzle devices and I decided that since I couldn't go with a suppressor then I was just going to go with an A2 flash hider since it would be quieter than any sort of comp or brake.

And I got my gas block from Primary Arms when I ordered my scope.

http://www.primaryarms.com/radical-firearms-low-profile-adjustable-gas-block-750-set-screw-style-rf-adj-750_2

I won a contest for a set of Aero Precision M5 receivers back...a couple years ago. Started my build. Used a 16" DPMS carbine length heavy barrel, Anderson BCG, Syrac Gen II adjustable block (carbine length is finicky). Had to buy the AP LPK because the pins in a standard DPMS LR308 LPK are too short for the receiver. Slapped a carbine stock on it. Scope is a Primary Arms 4-14x44 ACSS DMR FFP mounted in a Burris PEPR mount. Muzzle device was originally a Gemtech brake but switched to a Surefire SOCOM brake.

Oh my God, what a nightmare. I ended up replacing the buffer three times because of compatibility issues. Cost me over $100 swapping springs and buffers, trying to un-fark that thing. Barrel was messed up, headspace issues or something because the bolt was drilling the chamber. So I replaced the barrel with an Anderson 16" midlength and the BCG with a KAK Industry BCG with dual ejectors. Had massive problems with over gassing which were not solved by the gas block. The original bolt's extractor spring was too weak so I tried replacing the entire extractor, couldn't get the roll pin out because they flared it. Couldn't even drill it out so that was $250 down the crapper. Another $100+shipping wasted on the barrel itself (which I still have).

Finally got it to the point where it's reliable, but it cost me an insane amount of money to do it. I built a Mk12 Mod 1 SPR clone with a legit KAC RAS long free float handguard, Leupold VX-R Patrol scope, A.R.M.S rings, barrel contoured for an OPS Inc. 12th model brake and collar, and that build was about 3/4 of what I spend on that AR308 (and I didn't even have to buy receivers). I'm not sure if parts compatibility now but...good lord, it was like mix and match, trial and error.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

I looked at all sorts of muzzle devices and I decided that since I couldn't go with a suppressor then I was just going to go with an A2 flash hider since it would be quieter than any sort of comp or brake.

And I got my gas block from Primary Arms when I ordered my scope.

http://www.primaryarms.com/radical-firearms-low-profile-adjustable-gas-block-750-set-screw-style-rf-adj-750_2

I should pick one up now that they are available again. It's been at least a year since I looked last for one.

For the brakes I looked at the The Truth About Guns tests and selected what seemed to be a decent brake with not a ton of cost.

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2016/02/jeremy-s/308-muzzle-brake-test/

Are you planning on competing in 3-Gun with it?

Skinny, there is a Aero M5 build thread at arfcom. Somewhere in the dozens of pages are links to M5-specific buffers and springs. Basically I went with all Aero just so I wouldn't have to worry abouthat parts compatibility as much. It's still not 100%, but I also have only put less than 20 rounds downrange. I didn't have much time last time I took it out and decided to pack it away for a later date.

I should pick one up now that they are available again. It's been at least a year since I looked last for one.

For the brakes I looked at the The Truth About Guns tests and selected what seemed to be a decent brake with not a ton of cost.

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2016/02/jeremy-s/308-muzzle-brake-test/

I thought about doing some Heavy with it. I can never get a ticket for ASC, they sell out so fast. Only got in on one match there so far this year.

For the brakes I looked at the The Truth About Guns tests and selected what seemed to be a decent brake with not a ton of cost.http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2016/02/jeremy-s/308-muzzle-brake-test/

I thought about doing some Heavy with it. I can never get a ticket for ASC, they sell out so fast. Only got in on one match there so far this year.

I've only shot at ASC once with an old coworker. It was nice, but kind of far. I've always wanted to try Heavy, but as far as I know nobody does it at NPCCC so I've just shot Practical. I've talked with the match director there and he has said I'm welcome to shoot Heavy if I wanted. I have had zero time this year to shoot any matches anyways, so I guess I'll just wait.

I've only shot at ASC once with an old coworker. It was nice, but kind of far. I've always wanted to try Heavy, but as far as I know nobody does it at NPCCC so I've just shot Practical. I've talked with the match director there and he has said I'm welcome to shoot Heavy if I wanted. I have had zero time this year to shoot any matches anyways, so I guess I'll just wait.

ASC is about an hour an 15 drive one way for me, with light traffic and I can drive...well, lets just say I don't have to slow down.

Getting up at 5:30 AM on match day to get there on time hurts but it's always a GREAT time.

Anyhow, it's not that "nobody" shoots heavy, it's just that it's not a common thing. I shot the first match at ASC this year and there 3 guys shooting heavy if I'm not mistaken. I know there were at least two and one was in my squad. He let me check out his optic, which made my decision to buy the PA 1-6x ACSS.

I saw the PSA Gen 2 AR10 on deep discount reently. i was tempted, but ultimately decided to pass. I'll be watching this thread to see what you guys end up with. I was out shooting my 308 Bolt Action yesterday, and after the 4th round, the bolt is 100% stuck and won't budge. LOL Was shooting Fiocchi 150 grain ball, just breaking the barrel in and this is how my day ended.

Off to the gunsmith I go.

What bolt gun do you have? That sounds like maybe an overpressure roumd.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

TRJ, a friend has the M&P 10 and has had zero issues with his. He bought a Midwest Industries handguard and a new pistol grip and that's about it. It has some proprietary parts, but I believe those are mostly in the bolt and other inner workings.

I shot an M&P10 at a class once. Felt just like my M&P15, and the recoil was more push than kick, if that makes sense. That's the gun that started this.

I'm out of the market. Decided I need to save my money up more in order to get what I really want and not compromise just so I can have buyers remorse later.

That's how I ended up building my rifle. I could have spent $1000 on an entry level knowing I'd change the stock, grip, hand guard, gas block, and sights or build what I wanted for more but be happy with it right out of the gate.

Basically I went with all Aero just so I wouldn't have to worry abouthat parts compatibility as much. It's still not 100%, but I also have only put less than 20 rounds downrange. I didn't have much time last time I took it out and decided to pack it away for a later date.
I wish I had gone with the AP buffer kit. Maybe the BCG, but the barrels were WAY too expensive for me at the time. The holes for the detents are in some wacky places too and they don't play nice with my Magpul MIAD grip. It doesn't sit flush with the receiver, a MIAD wedge is useless. What parts are not AP on your M5? Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

I wish I had gone with the AP buffer kit. Maybe the BCG, but the barrels were WAY too expensive for me at the time. The holes for the detents are in some wacky places too and they don't play nice with my Magpul MIAD grip. It doesn't sit flush with the receiver, a MIAD wedge is useless. What parts are not AP on your M5? Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

What's different about the MIAD grip over the regular MOE grip that it does not fit? I used the MOE on my M5E1 receiver without an issue.

I know you weren't asking me, but the only non-Aero Precision parts on my builder were the stock, grip, gas block, gas tube, muzzle device, and BCG. I went with an Aero Precision barrel but I guess technically that's a Ballistic Advantage barrel at the base level.

I went with an AiM Surplus NiB BCG because it was a few dollars less than comparable BCGs and had solid reviews.

One observation I have is that I went rifle length gas with a rifle length buffer system and had no problems. Every post I read where people say they've had problems with the gas system is because they're using a carbine buffer system.

Basically I went with all Aero just so I wouldn't have to worry abouthat parts compatibility as much. It's still not 100%, but I also have only put less than 20 rounds downrange. I didn't have much time last time I took it out and decided to pack it away for a later date.

I wish I had gone with the AP buffer kit. Maybe the BCG, but the barrels were WAY too expensive for me at the time. The holes for the detents are in some wacky places too and they don't play nice with my Magpul MIAD grip. It doesn't sit flush with the receiver, a MIAD wedge is useless. What parts are not AP on your M5?

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

All Aero except a Faxon barrel, Gamma 762 brake, Magpul stock and pistol grip, and some no-name adjustable gas block. It's having trouble cycling, so I'm trying to decide if I want to drop $114 on an SLR 7 or maybe $90 on an Odin. I kind of wish I picked up a thinner handguard than the Aero, like the MI ones on my 3-Gun rifle and AR pistol. The Aero one is on already and I've gotten the MI ones heated up pretty good, so without gloves it can get uncomfortable after a couple of mags.

Archived