So..... It's now March. Wuzzup wit dat Jan 1 registration deal?

RandyP

On 3/5/2024 at 8:13 AM, RandyP said:

I take it we (and the 2nd Amendment) have not prevailed in any of the many court battles to date? Or do any 'candle in a hurricane' cases remain active and unresolved?

Just kinda wunderin' on a dreary Tuesday morning.

Kind of two different things going on there.

ISP turned the "deadline" into a suggested date with no noticeable efforts toward enforcement.

Court proceedings continue at a frustratingly slow pace, as is typical.  Other states remain ahead of Illinois in their challenges.

The January 1 deadline never meant that registration would close. People who move into the state with firearms after January 1 or inherit firearms after January 1 still need to be able to register them, per the law.

Meanwhile, the law has not changed. People who possessed banned firearms and ammo before January 1 were required to register by January 1. ISP "extending" general registration is meaningless. ISP doesn't have that power. Neither the AG nor any ASA answers to ISP public statements, so they are not a defense against prosecution. (I'm not sure an ISP public statement even rises to the level of policy.) Registering after January 1 just points out to prosecutors that you possessed something before the deadline which wasn't registered by the deadline, so you'd be waiving your 5A rights in two ways.

And there's still the issue of items purchased during "freedom week." I don't believe ISP has ever walked back the statement that "freedom week" purchases were unregisterable.

On 3/12/2024 at 4:03 PM, Bitter Clinger said:

Ah yes, now I remember.  The .50 cal, baby killer ammo.

There is just so much crap in this "law", it's hard to remember it all.

Yeah…….that’s why so many raised the single finger salute and disregarded the unconstitutional edicts. 

I have heard nothing about enforcement by the ISP. I have not read of charges being added to other charges for someone arrested for some crime with a firearm that should have been registered, and being charged for not registering. I remember reading that the same thing happened in CT when registration of "assault" rifles was mandated, and that when registrations were minimal, the State government apparently has done nothing in the years since that time.