Moving in a few weeks - question on change of address for CCL / FOID

So, I'm moving in a few weeks and I'll need to do a change of address for my CCL / FOID card.

My question is:  Should I wait until I get my DL address updated before I go through the CCL / FOID address change process, or doesn't it matter?

For an address change, do they try to match the CCL to the DL?  If I try to do the CCL / FOID first before I do my DL, will that cause a problem?

Also, I just got a second letter from the IL Firearms Services Bureau about receiving a combined card.  I think I got the first letter almost a year ago and have yet to receive the combined card.  It doesn't say when they're actually going to send it, so I'm not sure if this complicates things or not.

• 2 months later...

I just got my new updated DL with my new address on it, so I went to the IL ISP Web site and tried to update my address for my CCL.

When I submit the changes, I get a message:

"This Information does not match the Secretary Of State information we have on record."

And it shows the new address I entered, which is correct.

It also says "If you Continue To Payment, your information will be saved, but please remember To update your Driver's License information promptly. Once payment is complete, a new card will be sent to you."

And below that it shows the picture of myself from my OLD driver's license.  Did some update not occur and it's out of sync?

Not sure what I should do when I got to that point, so I cancelled the process.

Anyone know what to do next? 

On 5/22/2023 at 7:59 PM, Bitter Clinger said:

I just got my new updated DL with my new address on it, so I went to the IL ISP Web site and tried to update my address for my CCL.

When I submit the changes, I get a message:

"This Information does not match the Secretary Of State information we have on record."

And it shows the new address I entered, which is correct.

It also says "If you Continue To Payment, your information will be saved, but please remember To update your Driver's License information promptly. Once payment is complete, a new card will be sent to you."

And below that it shows the picture of myself from my OLD driver's license.  Did some update not occur and it's out of sync?

Not sure what I should do when I got to that point, so I cancelled the process.

Anyone know what to do next? 

Give it time for the Sec. of State data to change. Maybe recheck about once a week. 

It seems that with computers, it should have changed as soon as the new DL was issued. 

Maybe the data is changed in batches rather than for single driver at a time.

I'll try again next week I guess.

Would it be a problem if I never changed the address on the CCL and just waited for the next renewal date to do it?

I don't want to cause a problem where the CCL will get invalidated somehow, so why rock the boat?

As we all know, it took great amount of time and expense to even get one of these things from IL.

I don't want to get stuck in limbo for years with an invalid license due to some ISP Web site issue.

On 5/23/2023 at 10:04 AM, Quiet Observer said:

Give it time for the Sec. of State data to change. Maybe recheck about once a week. 

It seems that with computers, it should have changed as soon as the new DL was issued. 

Maybe the data is changed in batches rather than for single driver at a time.

It's in-between, I think. They won't change for a single driver, but they could do it daily for everyone. Apparently they update less frequently than daily. I'd say try weekly.

On 5/23/2023 at 4:02 PM, Smallbore said:

Does the fcca state a penalty for not updating address? Can one update the foid for five dollars without updating the ccl? Hope someone knows.

JCAR would be the place for the state to specify the procedure, but it doesn't. So it's whatever the ISP wants to do.

On 5/23/2023 at 3:02 PM, Smallbore said:

Does the fcca state a penalty for not updating address? Can one update the foid for five dollars without updating the ccl? Hope someone knows.

(430 ILCS 66/55)

Sec. 55. Change of address or name; lost, destroyed, or stolen licenses.

(a) A licensee shall notify the Illinois State Police within 30 days of moving or changing residence or any change of name. The licensee shall submit the requisite fee and the Illinois State Police may require a notarized statement that the licensee has changed his or her residence or his or her name, including the prior and current address or name and the date the applicant moved or changed his or her name.

(c) A violation of this Section is a petty offense with a fine of $150 which shall be deposited into the Mental Health Reporting Fund.

Yes there's a requirement to update your address and as you can see there is a penalty.  Small bore, aren't you an instructor.  I thought you would have known the answer to your question? 

On 5/23/2023 at 5:42 PM, THE KING said:

Yes there's a requirement to update your address and as you can see there is a penalty.  Small bore, aren't you an instructor.  I thought you would have known the answer to your question? 

I think he meant whether it's enough to update your FOID address for $5 versus update your CCL address for $75, especially now that they're the same thing.

On 5/23/2023 at 5:53 PM, Euler said:

I think he meant whether it's enough to update your FOID address for $5 versus update your CCL address for $75, especially now that they're the same thing.

His question was specific to the FCCA and whether there was a penalty for not updating your address. And there is. 

Second part of his question deals with renewing your FOID but not your FCCL. 

I don't have an exact answer but to cancel your carry license, the state wants you to mail it to the FSB with a written note telling them to cancel it and the reason for cancelation.  

The problem I see with this is that we now have ONE card for the FOID and FCCL. So how is a person supposed to cancel their carry license.  If you mail the one single card in then you have nothing.  🤬 

On 5/24/2023 at 5:50 AM, Bitter Clinger said:

I guess I'll try to change my address for the CCL every week for a while, but what if I get that error in perpetuity?

If I remember correctly we have had this same conversation in the past about changing an address and I think at that time it was about 2 weeks for the system to update so the person could make their address change. 

I would do what you're doing.  Just check weekly.  Good luck. 

On 5/23/2023 at 4:42 PM, THE KING said:

(430 ILCS 66/55)

Sec. 55. Change of address or name; lost, destroyed, or stolen licenses.

(a) A licensee shall notify the Illinois State Police within 30 days of moving or changing residence or any change of name. The licensee shall submit the requisite fee and the Illinois State Police may require a notarized statement that the licensee has changed his or her residence or his or her name, including the prior and current address or name and the date the applicant moved or changed his or her name.

(c) A violation of this Section is a petty offense with a fine of $150 which shall be deposited into the Mental Health Reporting Fund.

I am an instructor not a lawyer. I do not interpret the law. I will post a question trusting someone with legal training will give an answer. I have read these statutes many times. Without legal training I will not beat myself up for not putting these dots together. I hope I never give a legal interpretation. I do venture into person opinions making it clear I am not a lawyer. My opinions are  directed at statutes if taken at face value gives us laymen the belief we can use force. My opinions come from seminars by lawyers who spent a couple hours explaining that case law does not respect us layman's thoughts. When it comes to use of force, just because you think something is legal, doesn't mean it will be ruled justifiable, don't do it if at possible. Just one man's opinion.

On 5/24/2023 at 4:59 PM, THE KING said:

Sorry Dude, this is not rocket science.  

I am an instructor also and your question was pretty simple to answer. 

You are going off the rails with the use of force comments which weren't even a part of the conversation. 🙄.

Have a nice day  😁

Being an instructor does not qualify one to give a legal interpretation. I do not teach the statutes but merely quote them. I mention use of force as the only time  I  go off track giving a personal opinion. I will leave even simple answers to the legal experts.

You too have a fun Memorial Day weekend.

• 2 weeks later...

I decided to go ahead with the address change a couple weeks ago since my 30 day time limit was running out.

It still was showing that warning, but I went ahead and did the change anyway.

Just checked the Web site today and it looks like the address change went through since the Web site now shows my new address.

I also generated an eFOID which was correct.

Still waiting on the CCL to show up in the mail.

Anyone know if there is a way to show the status of the CCL address change and mailing status on the ISP Web site?  

I didn't see a way.

Well, I got my updated "combined" card already and it only took about three weeks.

I'm assuming it qualifies as a CCL, even though it is a "Firearms Owners Identification" card but it says "CCL:Yes" in the upper right corner.

I feel lucky that so far, I've not had any issues with my FOID or CCL.  From the original issuance of the card years ago, to the renewal and now an address change, it's gone smoothly.

I'm thankful, especially after reading the numerous horror stories here about problems.  Although the $80 fee seems really steep for an address change.

The tax on the right to carry is pretty steep here in IL.

$250 for a 16 hour class

$150 for the application

$150 for a 3-day renewal class

$150 for a renewal application

$80 for an address change

So add in the extra fees, taxes and gas required to travel to the classes and we're talking probably over $1000 so far.

That doesn't include the firearm or defense ammo.

I'm thankful for IL Carry where I learned so much over the years about this whole process.  It's a critical resource to have.