REGARDING AN AWB: DID YOU EVER WONDER....

springfield shooter

....why the Democrats didn't try to reinstate one in 2009-10?

The Affordable Care Act passed in 2009 without a single Republican vote in the House or Senate. Fifty-eight Democrats and two Independents (Lieberman and Sanders) voted "aye" on the ACA. Both Lieberman (in the Senate) and Sanders (in the House) voted for the legislation that created the AWB of 1994.

It certainly appears the Ds had a great chance to reach the 60 vote threshold to prevent a filibuster on an AWB in 2009. To my knowledge, they never even tried (at least in the Senate).

If they had wanted such legislation, they surely could have multi-tasked and gotten both bills written and brought up for a vote.

The things that make you go, "Hmmm".

In my opinion it's because they can't afford to own it, and they know that now. They need a few Republican votes to give them bipartisan cover.

Exactly, if they don't have a lot of bipartisan support they fully fear the voter slaughter that happened after the last one was enacted, you can't push all your other agendas if you set yourself up to almost certainly lose both chambers in a 2 years.

Look at the make up of the Democratic majority during the first two years of the Obama administration. Here’s some things that stand out to me.

- at most 58 democratic senators. It fluctuates because of deaths, etc.

– two Democratic senators from Montana. Three from the Dakotas. Two in Arkansas and one in Alaska. Jim Webb in VA. Bernie Sanders at that time had a gun voting record the NRA would be jealous of. Do you think they were all going to blanket vote for gun control? Olympia Snow and Susan Collins might have been more likely to vote for gun control as Republicans than some of those senators.

It was also the biggest economic contraction since the great depression, and the number one priority was Obamacare. As noted, the Democrats shot their load on health care.

So...Explain this “hmmm” mystery to me because it is clear as day this wouldn’t happen even without an economic crisis and health care debate happening.

The Affordable Care Act passed in 2009 without a single Republican vote in the House or Senate. Fifty-eight Democrats and two Independents (Lieberman and Sanders) voted "aye" on the ACA. Both Lieberman (in the Senate) and Sanders (in the House) voted for the legislation that created the AWB of 1994.

It certainly appears the Ds had a great chance to reach the 60 vote threshold to prevent a filibuster on an AWB in 2009. To my knowledge, they never even tried (at least in the Senate).

If they had wanted such legislation, they surely could have multi-tasked and gotten both bills written and brought up for a vote.

Look at the make up of the Democratic majority during the first two years of the Obama administration. Here’s some things that stand out to me.

- at most 58 democratic senators. It fluctuates because of deaths, etc.

– two Democratic senators from Montana. Three from the Dakotas. Two in Arkansas and one in Alaska. Jim Webb in VA. Bernie Sanders at that time had a gun voting record the NRA would be jealous of. Do you think they were all going to blanket vote for gun control? Olympia Snow and Susan Collins might have been more likely to vote for gun control as Republicans than some of those senators.

It was also the biggest economic contraction since the great depression, and the number one priority was Obamacare. As noted, the Democrats shot their load on health care.

So...Explain this “hmmm” mystery to me because it is clear as day this wouldn’t happen even without an economic crisis and health care debate happening.

Here's the hmmmm truth. They didn't even try the AWB. Pretty clearly their pontificating about the issue is political hypocrisy.

Actually, it may be more instructive to look at the incoming cash flow and from whom.

Certain billionaire donors with an agenda bought themselves a whole herd of shills.

Now they sing it like holy writ. Brainwashed writ?

Not the whole party en masse but ala carte on the individual level.

Archived