States Where Illinois Carry Licensees May Carry

Molly B.

On 11/25/2023 at 8:24 PM, Mr. Fife said:

We've come a long way! Back in the day I found that an IL, FL, and UT license gave an Illinois resident the best coverage.

My FL is due for renewal and I let my UT lapse.

Does anyone know the best combination today for maximum coverage?

Yep... back in the day!

Ever since FL became available without a FL CCL, it's become less valuable. I let my FL lapse years ago because of the difficulty of the fingerprint requirement, but kept my UT because it's so quick, easy and cheap.

You get 39 states with both FL and UT plus IL, or 38 states with either plus IL: each adds DE and LA; UT adds WA while FL adds NM. Being stuck at 38 with that big red swath of NM is painful to look at on the map.

I still dream of driving to Centre County PA for dinner and drinks and a $20 permit that takes maybe 20 minutes from start to finish... that one only adds PA and LA and it's the only way to get PA. The experience may be worth the road trip.

Cheers,

Tim

• 3 months later...

I have been looking all over the Internet for a long time and cannot find an answer to my question, which is how does a carrier know whether or not an establishment is making more than 50% from alcohol sales?  Is part of the Illinois law a requirement to post a sign outside the door?  I would like to find out by just looking online or seeing a sign instead of having to call a manager.

I apologize if I have missed the information, but I really did look. I did not see it included in the law, either, on the Illinois government website. Again, maybe I missed it.

On 3/22/2024 at 11:21 AM, LTC Hunter said:

I have been looking all over the Internet for a long time and cannot find an answer to my question, which is how does a carrier know whether or not an establishment is making more than 50% from alcohol sales?  Is part of the Illinois law a requirement to post a sign outside the door?  I would like to find out by just looking online or seeing a sign instead of having to call a manager.

I apologize if I have missed the information, but I really did look. I did not see it included in the law, either, on the Illinois government website. Again, maybe I missed it.

It's not your problem, if there is no sign carry-on! If the business doesn't post then you are good to go regardless of whether they make more or less than 50% over the last three months, from booze. 

The law requires them to post, and if they do not, they could have their license suspended or revoked, but that in NOT on you.

JQ

Edited by John Q Public

The law designates establishments that serve alcohol. Standalone liquor stores do not serve alcohol, so do not need to be posted. Still, many do post at their option and you are prohibited from entering if carrying. The name of the business does not matter. A restaurant may be named as a tavern, pub, inn, but not sell enough alcohol by the drink to require posting. As others have noted, it is the business' responsibility to post. See link at the bottom for the whole law. 

"(9) Any building, real property, and parking area
under the control of an establishment that serves alcohol on its premises, if more than 50% of the establishment's gross receipts within the prior 3 months is from the sale of alcohol. The owner of an establishment who knowingly fails to prohibit concealed firearms on its premises as provided in this paragraph or who knowingly makes a false statement or record to avoid the prohibition on concealed firearms under this paragraph is subject to the penalty under subsection (c-5) of Section 10-1 of the Liquor Control Act of 1934." 

"(d) Signs stating that the carrying of firearms is prohibited shall be clearly and conspicuously posted at the entrance of a building, premises, or real property specified in this Section as a prohibited area, unless the building or premises is a private residence. Signs shall be of a uniform design as established by the Department and shall be 4 inches by 6 inches in size. The Department shall adopt rules for standardized signs to be used under this subsection." 

IL Firearm Applicant Portal (ispfsb.com)

Don't ask don't tell

Thank you, everyone.  I sincerely appreciate the information.  I'm very attentive about looking for posted signs and following the law, so your help is very valued. 👍 I tend to avoid restaurants and other establishments that prohibit carrying my sidearm. For those rare occasions when I must go inside a place where I can't wear my EDC, I purchased a Steelhead Outdoors Fast-Access Pistol Box for my vehicle. I have fortunately only had to use it a couple of times and I always return as soon as I can.

Edited by LTC Hunter

Anyone else notice that after 10 years a lot of those signs they handed out to businesses are faded to almost nothing?

I’ve seen some with a portion of grey haze and a pink circle/slash. 
I walk right past them while armed if it’s a private business or bank (not so much if it’s a categorical like post office or school.

Edited by Kingcreek

Just an FYI, you can't have a loaded firearm on Fed property, no safe passage clause there. Also, the glove and console are NOT considered carry containers under federal law. :0

Example: You pull into a Post Office parking lot with your loaded firearm, you are in violation of Fed law. Likewise if it was unloaded and placed in the glove or console. You can ship long guns from the USPS, but they need to be unloaded and in a case and declared at the time of shipping. Handguns may not be shipped and have to go through a private carrier, and again, must be declared at the time of shipping. 

Edited by John Q Public