FTIP Delay

Jatwood29

Hey guys, been awhile since I've posted. 6 weeks ago was my first Firearm purchase in 2 years. Bought a Beretta 92G LTT edition (nice gun). I am always delayed on the background and it always clears before the 72 hours are up. That purchase was no different even though I was sorta expecting a longer delay with everything going on.

Fast forward to this past week. I decided to pick up a Sig P365 and filled out 4473 on Sunday 7-11 about 11am. Today is Friday 11:30am and it is still in a pending state.

I was under the impression that the state was back on track with background checks since the last one was back in time.

Are they still having issues? are others still seeing issues? Since Illinois wont release after 72hrs per federal law, is there anything I can do to shake it loose?

Thanks.

I have 2 background checks I ran on the same day as yours, 07/11/2021, they are both still Pending.

Well, good that its not just me, I guess. I've heard of people getting "LOST" in the shuffle and more than 30 days pass without a response. was starting to wonder if this was the start of that.

I hate this state more and more the older I get. As an FFL do you have any remedies available to push it a long if it goes too long? and what would you consider too long? Not asking if you could do something for me personally, just asking in generalities out of curiosity.

Your dealer should have a number & email to ISP. I called ATF and complained that ISP had no "good" number to reach them @ and my IOI guy gave me a "good" number & email. To be honest, if your dealer has multiple people waiting, he's not gonna call. It's an ISP issue, if you're the only one, I would ask him to call or send an email. I have a CPD SGT on day 3 as well.

I've never been delayed until this past Wednesday. I was told that the FTIP was running 4 to 5 days behind.

Whether FTIP is running behind or not, that has nothing to do with the initial background check, it's fully automated. The automatic system will generate the Approved or Pending response. Something might have happened when they ran the bcg check. Maybe they lost internet signal, NICS might have been doing maintenance on the system, or it could have been bad weather here or where NICS is being operated. Now its gone to the analysts, supposedly it gets done in the order they receive it, so you have to wait in line.

... NICS might have been doing maintenance on the system ...

Unless the data center got hit by a stray atom bomb, NICS only goes down for maintenance on national holidays. It has to be scheduled for maintenance sometime, and presumably fewer people buy guns on the actual holidays.

I suppose that its possible NICS might run behind because so many BG requests are submitted. I've never heard a spec on its maximum capacity. I doubt the FBI would publish it. I'd sooner blame something at the state level.

Your dealer should have a number & email to ISP. I called ATF and complained that ISP had no "good" number to reach them @ and my IOI guy gave me a "good" number & email. To be honest, if your dealer has multiple people waiting, he's not gonna call. It's an ISP issue, if you're the only one, I would ask him to call or send an email. I have a CPD SGT on day 3 as well.

I appreciate the feedback. Guess its just a waiting game. Seems silly that I have a safe full of firearms, yet gotta wait for permission to take home this one. LOL. I guessing they don’t process these on the weekends so, I guess it will be Monday at the earliest.

Unless the data center got hit by a stray atom bomb, NICS only goes down for maintenance on national holidays. It has to be scheduled for maintenance sometime, and presumably fewer people buy guns on the actual holidays.I suppose that its possible NICS might run behind because so many BG requests are submitted. I've never heard a spec on its maximum capacity. I doubt the FBI would publish it. I'd sooner blame something at the state level.

The FBI/NICS people told some dealers in states that run backgrounds straight through NICS that they intentionally had to shut down the system because of overflow. Out of State FFL's took screenshots that said something like, "system is temporarily down, check back later."

Unless the data center got hit by a stray atom bomb, NICS only goes down for maintenance on national holidays. It has to be scheduled for maintenance sometime, and presumably fewer people buy guns on the actual holidays.I suppose that its possible NICS might run behind because so many BG requests are submitted. I've never heard a spec on its maximum capacity. I doubt the FBI would publish it. I'd sooner blame something at the state level.

Which FFL groups are you in?

Ok. Yes, it's published and they notify us on the day it's going to be ran. That does not mean that that's the only time that the system needs to be checked. Now, if you've been a dealer for 10 or 15yrs, fine, but I find it interesting that many times people in this group and others revert to federal law or established practices over someone who actually, "is doing, what was being asked." It would be great if everyone/everything stuck to the "actual law and established practices," but it doesn't always happen like that. The info I put above is a mixture of ATF input as well as ISP input. Unless you know someone that is part of the upper echelon of FTIP, then I apologize. You know that sometimes we run backgrounds that show it 'went through' on our end but after 4-7 days ISP never received it. We can give them the ISP # that corresponds to the bcg and they still can't pull it. It is known as a background that ended up in, "the blackhole." It happened on a new customer who usually gets instant Approvals. Telling you how it actually works vs how it's supposed to work.

Ok. So I got some more info. I went to my FFL yesterday to see what was going on. They mentioned that Illinois updated their system last Sunday and thats when the light bulb went off in my head! I work in IT for OHare and midway supporting different systems including the dispatch centers. Last Sunday the FBI upgraded the LEADS system, for those that dont know, Its the law enforcement database. Its one of the systems used in a nics check. Also, what they run you thru anytime you are pulled over, etc. The process wasnt smooth, took a lot longer than anticipated and been working through bugs this week.

My guess is that every gun purchase this past week has been put into delay due to that. Even people that have never been delayed are getting it. Which puts a much bigger load on those that are manually processing.

Bottom line, sounds like I picked one of the worst weeks to buy a gun. (Since last year)

FYI, Im still waiting and today is one week since I bought the gun.

I've never been delayed until this past Wednesday. I was told that the FTIP was running 4 to 5 days behind.

I was delayed for the first time ever on Sunday the 11th. A friend of mine was also delayed for the first time ever on Monday.

Are you still waiting for your approval?

Not anymore. I was approved the morning of Friday the 16th.

FYI

Ammoland

The National Instant background Check System (NICS) numbers are in for June of 2021. There has been a significant drop from the numbers for June of 2020, a year ago. Total background checks have declined 29%, and total gun sales have declined 47% from last year. June of 2020 was a record-setting month.

If we look back to June of 2019, the 2021 numbers are 40% higher for gun sales this June.

Looking to 2016, the previous record year before 2020, gun sales in June of 2021 exceeds those in June of 2016 by 12%.

Even though June gun sales in 2021 are only 53% of the firearm sales of June of 2020, they are still the second-highest number of June gun sales since NICS started keeping records in 1998.

Historically, June gun sales are one of the three lowest months in the year for gun sales. May, June, and July are the “Summer Doldrums” for gun sales, with June and July tending to be a little lower than May.

The total NICS checks are becoming less and less representative of the total number of firearm sales.

Illinois permit rechecks accounted for over 715 thousand NICS rechecks in June of 2021; Kentucky over 301 thousand NICS rechecks; Utah had over 72 thousand. Total permit and permit rechecks for the nation were over 1.79 million of the total 3.05 million or about 59% of the total checks.

Most of the NICS checks are no longer involved in gun sales. There are more carry permits, more carry permit rechecks and more gun sales not tracked by NICS because they are done using the carry permit instead of another NICS check.

When I run backgrounds, I flip my laptop and show each customer the software that FFL Dealers use to run bcg checks. I always tell them, "if there's a problem, it will ALWAYS be w/the ISP." I show them the screen and ask them if everything is correct and then run the bcg. So, I am sure many of you guys are calling the dealer and asking did you clear or what's going on. I always check and send a screenshot to show the customer what I see (like I did above). Ultimately, and again, everyone's issue is with the IL State Police.

Archived