renew foid ccl renewals delays expired applications new ccw concealed

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 RyansRights247

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 September 2019 - 12:02 PM

How should I proceed?

I've heard all kinds of horror stories regarding renewals, delays, new applications interfering with renewals, etc.

My FOID is going to expire on Nov. 1, 2019.  I just completed my classes for CCL, have my certificate, and would like to apply ASAP.

I'm afraid if I try to do both at the same time, my CCL application may cause my FOID renewal to pause, and then (due to current delays with new CCLs), I fear my FOID may expire, causing my CCL to be denied.

Should I try doing both at the same time?  Or should I just renew my FOID, and wait until it's complete before applying for my CCL?  (Which would obviously delay the entire process even further...)

Thanks

#2 bilder

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 18 September 2019 - 12:18 PM

As I understand the processes FOID would be first;60 days on renewals, should be available for renewal on the web site, now 90 days before it expires. Must have valid FOID for CCL

then after you have submitted FOID, you can go ahead and submit your CCL application wait maybe or right away? not sure, it should take 90 days with prints or 120 days without prints AFTER FOID is active. Nothing will happen to your ccl application till the FOIL is done.

good luck

Edited by bilder, 18 September 2019 - 12:25 PM.

#3 InterestedBystander

• Supporting Members Team
  • 6,873 posts

Posted 18 September 2019 - 12:41 PM

If you submit FOID renewal before old card expires, your card remains active.

(B) Renewal applications shall be approved or denied within 60 business days, provided the applicant submitted his or her renewal application prior to the expiration of his or her Firearm Owner's Identification Card. If a renewal application has been submitted prior to the expiration date of the applicant's Firearm Owner's Identification Card, the Firearm Owner's Identification Card shall remain valid while the Department processes the application, unless the person is subject to or becomes subject to revocation under this Act. The cost for a renewal application shall be $10 which shall be deposited into the State Police Firearm Services Fund.
(Source: P.A. 100-906, eff. 1-1-19.)
NRA Life Member
ISRA Member
FFL-IL Supporter
SAF Member
GOA Member
🇺🇸

#4 RyansRights247

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 September 2019 - 12:55 PM

So, if I submit my FOID renewal today (it expires Nov. 1), can I also submit my CCL application today?  (Or do I need to wait until the FOID renewal is complete before applying for my CCL?)

I guess my concern is that my CCL application will cause my FOID renewal to be put on hold, and potentially expire during the CCL approval process...

Thanks again

#5 Euler

• Members
  • 2,027 posts

Posted 18 September 2019 - 01:00 PM

As long as your name, address, and demographic info haven't changed, I wouldn't worry. If you need to update any info on your FOID, get that done before you apply for a CCL.
The welfare of the people in particular has always been the alibi of tyrants, and it provides the further advantage of giving the servants of tyranny a good conscience.

- Albert Camus, Resistance, Rebellion, and Death, 1960.

#6 InterestedBystander

• 6,873 posts

Posted 18 September 2019 - 01:18 PM

As long as your name, address, and demographic info haven't changed, I wouldn't worry. If you need to update any info on your FOID, get that done before you apply for a CCL.

If there are changes, make sure the DL also matches and get done first. In theory since your FOID should remain active, it should not impact the CCL. And you wont be getting your CCL processed within 60 days anyway.
NRA Life Member
ISRA Member
FFL-IL Supporter
SAF Member
GOA Member
🇺🇸

#7 John Q Public

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 606 posts

Posted 18 September 2019 - 10:26 PM

In theory. :ermm:  Let us know how it goes, so we can pass it on. I was hoping Molly might jump in on this too. There have been horror stories of the dashboard getting locked up for this type of issue.

Good luck Ryan

J

#8 ITguy1686

• Pip
  • 86 posts

Posted 19 September 2019 - 09:22 AM

From experience: I renewed my FOID and it expired before I received my new one. My CCL was under review for an address change. A week after my FOID expiration date I had my sister in law who is a State Trooper run my info and both FOID and CCL showed "Valid."

#9 Bubbacs

#Fear The Clown

• 3,242 posts

Posted 19 September 2019 - 01:41 PM

From experience: I renewed my FOID and it expired before I received my new one. My CCL was under review for an address change. A week after my FOID expiration date I had my sister in law who is a State Trooper run my info and both FOID and CCL showed "Valid."

Umm, family/friend law enforcement running info without an official reason.......
And the saga from within the ISP continues, remember If its your break time.....

Edited by Bubbacs, 19 September 2019 - 01:43 PM.

#10 ITguy1686

• Pip
  • 86 posts

Posted 19 September 2019 - 02:23 PM

Umm, family/friend law enforcement running info without an official reason.......
And the saga from within the ISP continues, remember If its your break time.....

Not sure if that's a jab or what. Just trying to help and get help from wherever I can considering ISP in Springfield is of no help.

#11 Bubbacs

#Fear The Clown

• 3,242 posts

Posted 19 September 2019 - 10:00 PM

Purple
Meant to be none serious

Anything in purple in here is just a joke stab in the dark tongue in cheek......

Oh plus there is a post in here about two ISP workers having sex all day at work!

Edited by Bubbacs, 19 September 2019 - 10:00 PM.

#12 Molly B.

IllinoisCarry spokesperson

• 16,409 posts

Posted 23 September 2019 - 09:22 AM

So, if I submit my FOID renewal today (it expires Nov. 1), can I also submit my CCL application today?  (Or do I need to wait until the FOID renewal is complete before applying for my CCL?)

I guess my concern is that my CCL application will cause my FOID renewal to be put on hold, and potentially expire during the CCL approval process...

Thanks again

You should renew your FOID card first and then you should be able to submit your CCL application at any time.  It should not interfere with your FOID renewal. 

"It does not take a majority to prevail ... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men." --Samuel Adams

#13 RyansRights247

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 24 September 2019 - 10:15 AM

UPDATE:

Thanks for all the help everyone.  So last Wednesday I decided to just get the FOID renewed and then apply for the CCL later.  HOWEVER, when I clicked on the RENEW button for my FOID, it then gave me an option to also apply for the CCL at the same time.  So that's exactly what I did. 

If they were both completely separate processes I would've been more concerned, but since the state's system apparently has a built-in feature designed for taking care of both at the same time, I went ahead and proceeded.

I'll keep everyone posted on things, but as of right now, (less than a week later), both my FOID renewal and my CCL application both show "Under Review".  Fingers crossed it all goes smooth...

#14 John Q Public

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 606 posts

Posted 24 September 2019 - 11:57 AM

Cool... let us know how it goes, is 6 months, or so.....  :hairy:

#15 wazzle

• Members
  • 1,773 posts

Posted 01 October 2019 - 03:20 PM

Does the orange renew button show up 60 days prior to expiration, or 90 days? Can you renew prior to button appearing? Mine expires 1/1/20 Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

#16 InterestedBystander

• 6,873 posts

Posted 01 October 2019 - 03:27 PM

IIRC, it is 90 days. No renew button, no renew for you unless they let you do something earlier via phone call and good luck getting anyone to answer.
NRA Life Member
ISRA Member
FFL-IL Supporter
SAF Member
GOA Member
🇺🇸

#17 RyansRights247

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 October 2019 - 05:34 PM

UPDATE:  So it'll be exactly 5 weeks tomorrow since I applied to renew my FOID and then applied to get my CCL. 

Status for BOTH still shows: "Under Review"...

I'm getting a bit nervous since my FOID expires Nov. 1.  (I submitted for renewal on Sept. 18)  

Anyway, I'll keep you all posted on any changes.

#18 InterestedBystander

• 6,873 posts

Posted 22 October 2019 - 06:01 PM

UPDATE:  So it'll be exactly 5 weeks tomorrow since I applied to renew my FOID and then applied to get my CCL. 
Status for BOTH still shows: "Under Review"...

I'm getting a bit nervous since my FOID expires Nov. 1.  (I submitted for renewal on Sept. 18)  

Anyway, I'll keep you all posted on any changes.

60 business days allowed for FOID renewal. If card is active at the time you submit renewal, card stays active past the expire date while renewal is being processed.
NRA Life Member
ISRA Member
FFL-IL Supporter
SAF Member
GOA Member
🇺🇸

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: renew, foid, ccl, renewals, delays, expired, applications, new, ccw, concealed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users