NY to end (possibly) NRA qualification for instructors

Euler

Not to give anyone ideas, but there's a bill in the NY state senate to remove NRA certification as a valid qualification for firearm instructors. Currently a NY firearm instructor can be:
  1. an officer in the US military (including Coast Guard, but not Air Force) or NY National Guard;
  2. any adult certified as a firearm instructor by the US military or NRA;
  3. an adult certified by the NY Department of Environmental Conservation as a hunting safety instructor; or
  4. a NY state 4-H sport shooting instructor.

The bill scratches out the "or NRA" part effective January 1, 2027, and substitutes "NY state police." Theoretically, the NY state police could say NRA certification is good, although that would be up to them. In any case, NRA-ILA is not happy.

NY S138A

On 2/11/2024 at 12:52 PM, Tvandermyde said:

they did this in California

goal is to minimize the number of instructors to make it harder and more expensive to get a carry permit

I've seen blurbs here and there mocking the NRA Instructor program as insufficient in hours and quality, most recently on FarceBook where the "instructor" is manipulating a live handgun near heads behind the line on a range. 

I've also got 80 hours of formal instruction in training from State certified agencies for the fire service. They'll probably be given less credit than the state gives holders of a 40 hour MFT cert who don't/won't get a "Chief, may I pretty please" letter to accompany their FCCL application. 

All instructor quality is up to the individual. NRA trainers general are gun people where as police are not. I have no problem stating the NRA trainers, who are taught how to "teach" in the courses, have a far better understanding of safe gun handling then the government trained men. It is difficult for those trained in offence to step back to limit instruction to defense.

Just saying.

I suspect us gun people shoot much more than police, especially the many of us who compete. We know how to keep shots on target. We know we have to.

On February 11, 2024 at 11:43 PM CST, Bubbacs said:
Any Officer BUT not the Air Force? Really?

The current law does not say "not Air Force" explicitly, but it lists the branches that are qualified. Air Force is not one of them.

I doubt many people go to military personnel for CC training, anyway. CC training isn't really about marksmanship. It's about knowing the laws that apply to self-defense (which makes hunter safety and 4-H sport shooting bizarre qualifications, if you think about it.)

On 2/12/2024 at 10:03 AM, Euler said:

The current law does not say "not Air Force" explicitly, but it lists the branches that are qualified. Air Force is not one of them.

I doubt many people go to military personnel for CC training, anyway. CC training isn't really about marksmanship. It's about knowing the laws that apply to self-defense (which makes hunter safety and 4-H sport shooting bizarre qualifications, if you think about it.)

Surprised Air Force is excluded or any branch fully accepted. I have a nephew now retired after 20 year. He was in some field of radio communication. He was constantly involved in field exercises. He now spend too much time in the middle East. Just got back from Jordan. Will be heading back also too soon. 

Second on this reducing "gun" people. 

I am not much a fan of the NRA, but I do believe there should not 

be any bans on where people get their training from - as long as it's accredited. 

The last people to receive training from are law enforcement. They have unions,

qualified immunity and endless pockets for lawyers: not many outside 

that have this. It's a different mindset and mentality. They are setting people

up for failure with this.

Edited by crufflesmuth