DeltaPoint silhouette

Euler

That's really reflective. Not sure if it's normal for that brand. You've got that dot turned way up too. With some practice you'll find lower settings are better. 

This is a 1 moa trijicon sro

IMG_20220517_235704.thumb.jpg.ef98abac13d848a06be7541be6a7e890.jpg

Believe it or not, your brain does some magic with your other eye and it still works just as well even when dirty. 

20220909_132500.thumb.jpg.029bbe3f1578d4921f0992ad801ad84a.jpg

On 11/28/2023 at 6:59 AM, Squints08 said:

I own numerous DeltaPoint Pro dots and have no clue what that rectangular shape is. I would contact Leupold and ask because my dots are dots and my delta model is a triangle. Good luck and keep us informed.

That looks like the emitter. You can see the whole thing because the glass is so reflective. 

Dave is right, you can see it's a reflection and not the true image as I can also see the adjustment screw.

Turn it up and unless that was slide cut, or you installed a taller front sight, the front sight should be lower to actually see the dot. If you are looking for it where the front sight is the dot is off the screen high. Turn it up and look over the muzzle to make sure it's level, then look for the dot.

JQ 

Edited by John Q Public

On 11/28/2023 at 12:02 AM, Euler said:

I'm new to the red dot experience, personally. I finally took the dive. Below is what I see in my new DeltaPoint. I was expecting to see just a dot.
Were my expectations wrong, or is something up?

DeltaPoint.thumb.png.3795d4a48a4c8c6145b09283bd7b96b5.png

That isn't right.  It should look like Dave's crisp dot.   Massive reflection.  Aim at a wall and take another photo.  No camera flash with moderate room lighting. 

Don't give a closeup either. I want to be able to see around the optic like I was looking through it.  

Edited by Dumak_from_arfcom

Here's a picture taken in brighter lighting conditions, pointed at the wall instead of the floor. I also turned the dot power up to 6 (of 8).

BTW, reflex sights are supposed to be reflective. You see a reflection of the LED. Reflex sights in the 1950s had reflections of a crosshair etched on metal, which is much less visible under general lighting conditions. LEDs are the technology that makes a reflex sight worthwhile.

DeltaPoint2.thumb.png.93989edec80c283a5f962512f5e26e74.png

On 11/30/2023 at 2:36 AM, Euler said:

Here's a picture taken in brighter lighting conditions, pointed at the wall instead of the floor. I also turned the dot power up to 6 (of 8).

BTW, reflex sights are supposed to be reflective. You see a reflection of the LED. Reflex sights in the 1950s had reflections of a crosshair etched on metal, which is much less visible under general lighting conditions. LEDs are the technology that makes a reflex sight worthwhile.

DeltaPoint2.thumb.png.93989edec80c283a5f962512f5e26e74.png

Okay, I do not own any DPPs, but I've shot guns with 2 different DPPs in the past and that is not what you are supposed to get.  There should just be a dot, no box outline to your dot.  

A quick google search shows that other people have had your issue when I looked at related searches, but I didn't see any Leupold solutions to it. Looking around more I found someone who had your issue with a box surrounding the dot: 

Getting a perfect dot wasn't what I was originally pointing out. The dot looked fine but around the dot there was a box like outline which is the outline of the small plastic lens that covers the diode. It was dirty (looked like a fingerprint was on it) I wiped it clean and the outline went away.The lens is probably there to make it waterproof. A cmore (at least the old style) doesn't have that secondary lens. 

The person above used a qtip to clean the emitter window.  Apparently DPPs have a secondary lens to protect the emitter and for that person it was dirty. Of course if the dirt is on the inside then cleaning it won't work and you'd have to send it back.  

I would try carefully cleaning it myself.   If you don't want to do that, contact Leupold and send them that picture.  They'd probably tell you to clean the emitter window and if it doesn't clear up to send it back. 

It looks like there should be a cover on the emitter that is missing. You generally want to run a dot on a lower setting, like 2 or 3. The idea is you focus on the target and when the dot settles on the area you want to hit you press the trigger. If your grip is solid the dot will travel straight up slightly on the target and settle back down for you to press the trigger again. If you turn it up too high the dot will steal focus from the target and you end up watching the dot. Think of the dot the same as a laser and this whole thing gets real easy.

One of the problems with turning the dot way up is it blooms - turns into a big round fuzzy blob that is like having an astigmatism. I don't think your dot is blooming because it is square. It really feels like you are missing a piece the more I think about it. In that price range you can get a Trijicon or a Holosun so you may be better off just returning it. I run Trijicon 3.25moa RMRs on all my pistols except my Staccato XC that has the 1moa SRO. Just going by the Modern Samurai Project FB group, the mid moa Holosun is what everyone likes best right now so that might be a good place to start out and find what works best for you.

Something going on with that emitter for sure. It could be a cover as Dave suggests, but I use Holosun.

I checked out every reticle I could find and every model, the only two I found was a round dot and a triangle. You have some sort of defect IMO, if it is new, I would send it back, if other get money back. The other option is to contact Leupold and send them a picture of the issue, they should know straight away what's going on.

This isn't a newbie optic issue, you have something wrong there. 

Don't give up! I love the red/green optics. I like Holosun because they auto adjust to lighting and have a 20K hours battery and in some cases, charge themselves. Auto on, auto light, auto charge = very cool. 

I don't need sights to 50ft for center mass, but if I need to make a tight/head shot at 50, I need a bit of help.

When I was shooting competition, I had an old optic fail and still completed the stage, with one miss out of 32 rounds. I went back to the range, turned off the site, looking through the window, and shot until I had no misses. Optics, lasers, sights, are all great, but you should get to the point you don't need any of them for typical self defense scenarios. ;)

JQ

• 2 weeks later...