SBR in Cook County

hetzen

Has anyone successfully received a stamp for an SBR in Cook County? I live in a home rule minimality (within Cook) so I believe I am exempt from the AWB.

I just heard back from the ATF that they are waiting on the IL AG to tell them if they can issue me a stamp or not. So I'd like to know if anyone has successfully gotten one here? Did anyone get denied and appeal successfully? Or just straight denied?

Did you check your city ordinances? What town you in? Im not up on the SBR laws, but find it interesting they are making contact with the AG. Im waiting on somebody that knows more to comment. GL

Des Plaines. It's home rule and the code is silent on the topic.

It's not enough to be Home Rule and not have a law against it. Des Plaines has to specifically preempt any Cook County ordinances. Home Rule cities have the ability to ignore County laws, but it doesn't happen automatically.

Does this mean we can get a SBS in IL too? Just curious. I'd like to turn one of those "not a shotgun" things into a SBS. If I go through all the effort of doing an SBR lower I'd do the shotgun too.

Dont think so. IANAL

Never looked into it but have read DD and AOW may be OK (dont know specifics) but SBS are not. Perhaps someone who knows for sure will be along with an answer.

https://www.ilga.gov/legislation/ilcs/fulltext.asp?DocName=072000050K24-1

(720 ILCS 5/24-1) (from Ch. 38, par. 24-1)

Sec. 24-1. Unlawful use of weapons.

(a) A person commits the offense of unlawful use of weapons when he knowingly:

(7) Sells, manufactures, purchases, possesses or carries

(ii) any rifle having one or more barrels less than 16 inches in length or a shotgun having one or more barrels less than 18 inches in length or any weapon made from a rifle or shotgun, whether by alteration, modification, or otherwise, if such a weapon as modified has an overall length of less than 26 inches; or

For an IL SBR must have C&R license or reenactors membership. SBS not identified in that legislation.

Archived