How to Appeal Revoked or Denied FOID

My understanding is that your FOID/CCL was revoked erroneously due to "moving out of state", which you did not do.  In cases of moving out of state, people do not have to transfer their firearms.

I suggest you send an email to ISP.AskFOIDandCCL@illinois.gov.  with your full legal name, date of birth, FOID number, address, and a copy of the Status Letter of your License showing it is Clear/Valid.

Please keep us posted on your progress!  If you don't hear something back in 7-10 days, please let me know.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/6/2022 at 2:24 PM, Hellcat said:

I sent a packet with all required documents almost a year and a half ago and have never received any information from the State.  I have left numerous voicemails and sent emails to the State and have not received a response.  Any suggestions on what to do?

Hire a lawyer- seems to get ISP cronies moving 

On 1/6/2022 at 2:24 PM, Hellcat said:

I sent a packet with all required documents almost a year and a half ago and have never received any information from the State.  I have left numerous voicemails and sent emails to the State and have not received a response.  Any suggestions on what to do?

I would suggest you send a request for hearing review to the director of the ISP:

Sec. 10. Appeal to director; hearing; relief from firearm prohibitions.

1. Whenever an application for a Firearm Owner's Identification Card is denied, whenever the Department fails to act on an application within 30 days of its receipt, or whenever such a Card is revoked or seized as provided for in Section 8 of this Act, the aggrieved party may appeal to the Director of State Police for a hearing upon such denial, revocation or seizure,

You will need to send a letter to the director and request a hearing on the appeal you filed and give the date or approximate date you submitted your appeal the first time. In the letter, give your full legal name, date of birth, FOID number, and the date your FOID card was denied/revoked. Send a complete set of the appeal forms you already filed.

Send this all via a mail service that will provide you with a signed receipt of delivery to:

Director Brendan Kelly

Illinois State Police

801 S. 7th Street

Springfield, IL 62703

Please keep us posted on your progress.

• 2 weeks later...

My dr signed the paperwork for me today for > 5 years since being voluntarily committed.   We will see how long until something happens.  Over/under bets?  Lol

ETA:  Filled out my FOID application and paid online today 1/19/2022.  

Edited by veela
more info