I'm Moving to IL from CA: What Do I Need to Know?

sastark

Hi All,

I got a job in Decatur and will be moving out there towards the end of August from California. What do I need to know when it comes to gun laws in Illinois? Here's a couple of things I've found, so far (but if I have anything wrong, please correct me):

1. In order to buy any firearm or ammunition, I will need a state issued Firearm Owner's Identification Card (FOID). (I picked up an application at the local Walmart while visiting for a job interview.)
  2. There is no concealed carry law in Illinois (though it looks like you are fighting that, which is great!).

Some specific questions I have (mostly related to California gun laws) are:

1. If I am bringing firearms with me into the state, do I need to register them in any way? (rifles, handguns, shotguns, black powder, anything)
  2. Are there restrictions on AR15s? If I am in the middle of building an AR15, is it pretty easy to get parts to finish an upper?
  3. Are there restrictions on the size of magazines? (in California, nothing over 10 rounds--for the most part--in handguns and rifles)
  4. I've read that Illinois has a good Castle Doctrine. Is this true? If someone breaks into my home and I use a firearm in self defense, will I be arrested? Will I lose my gun?
  5. Are there any specific restrictions when it comes to semiautomatic rifles? In California, we have the "bullet button" and "featureless builds" for AR15s and AKs. Do you all have any of that in Illinois?

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!

Seth

As far as I know unless you live in Chicago or one of a handful of Chicago suburbs you do not need to worry about any magazine, or assault weapon restrictions. Getting a FOID is not hard many gun shops will even take the photo for you and mail it in. Illinois does have a very strong castle type law, I urge you to google it and read the exact text but basically you have no duty to retreat and can use deadly force to stop someone commiting a forcible felony in your home. Read the legalese though and get to know ot.

You do not want to be in possession of a Firearm or ammo, in Illinois, until you have your FOID Card. They can take your guns , ammo and your ability to get a FOID Card away from you. It can take several weeks to get the card, so , send off for it ASAP. The Decatur area is not as strict as Cook County/Chicago, their simply crazy. Check with local Police Dept. as to any regulations that you need to be aware of. Sorry to hear that you are leaving Cali. to come to Illinois. We have some work to get done here, so maybe you can help... illinoiscarry.com is a great group to join.

Hi All,

Some specific questions I have (mostly related to California gun laws) are:

1. If I am bringing firearms with me into the state, do I need to register them in any way? (rifles, handguns, shotguns, black powder, anything)
  2. Are there restrictions on AR15s? If I am in the middle of building an AR15, is it pretty easy to get parts to finish an upper?
  3. Are there restrictions on the size of magazines? (in California, nothing over 10 rounds--for the most part--in handguns and rifles)
  4. I've read that Illinois has a good Castle Doctrine. Is this true? If someone breaks into my home and I use a firearm in self defense, will I be arrested? Will I lose my gun?
  5. Are there any specific restrictions when it comes to semiautomatic rifles? In California, we have the "bullet button" and "featureless builds" for AR15s and AKs. Do you all have any of that in Illinois?

Because you are moving to Decatur (and not Chicago or Cook county):

1. No

2. No restrictions, other than they cannot be full auto, suppressed or SBRs

3. No

4. Yes; Maybe depending on circumstances; Maybe temporarily

5. No restrictions, other than they cannot be full auto, suppressed or SBRs

One thing sell any 10 round mags you've got before leaving in CA and stock up on REAL mags for w/e you've got. You won't find a market for those 10 rounders here.

True - nice suggestion. Bullet buttons may be on that localized "for sale list" too... IL does not require them.

Losing your gun is normal in a justified self defense situation. The police will confiscate it for "evidence" for a long time. We dont have "castle doctrine" per se, but we have one of the best self defense statutes you'll find - irrrony.

http://illinoiscarry.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=19429

Welcome aboard, Seth. Hope to see you in the fight!

Thank you all for the information. Glad I found this site!

Just to clarify: It seems that when I move to the state, I should not bring any firearms with me, and only reacquire them after I have my FOID card in hand. Kind of screws me over for the first few months I'm there, but if that's what I've got to do, then I guess that's what I've got to do.

Bring the guns - just store them at the house of a friend with a FOID.

Illinois gets a bad rap (as it should) but it ain't CA, NJ, NY or MA...

Mike

That's what I'm discovering, Mike: No state is worse than California when it comes to gun laws. (Well, maybe Hawaii.)

Oh, and the problem with storing them with a friend is: we don't know anyone in Decatur. I may have to leave them with someone in California, and have that person bring them out to me. I'm hoping I can avoid that, though.

Thank you all for the information. Glad I found this site!

Just to clarify: It seems that when I move to the state, I should not bring any firearms with me, and only reacquire them after I have my FOID card in hand...

I'll look around the net later but...

After you get your Illinois drivers license, apply for your FOID right away. Its fairly painless. You can make your own passport sized photo if you are able. They will likely use your new digital DL photo for your FOID... So smile!

I'm pretty sure you have a certain amount of time to comply with the FOID requirement AFTER you get your DL. You cant get an FOID without and IL DL or ID card.

I'm also pretty sure you can bring your guns along with you without running afoul of local and Illinois gun laws... You are a new resident. Perhaps keeping them locked and inaccessible in your new home might be a good thing to do. You can't use them for much else without your FOID.

With an IL DL, you won't be able to purchase ammo or guns or use a shooting range until your FOID arrives.

Don't forget to change your address on any CC permits you might have from other states.

If I'm crazy wrong about these things, I'm sure someone else will chime in shortly. Ill try to post links confirming these thoughts later.

Welcome to Illinois... !!!

You will need a standard grip or a Californina legal grip. I know there also call them assualt weapson and some sort of registration. You will need a bullet button to turn it into a fixes 10 round mag. Sell your others off they will get you locked up. Bunch of rules then registration and then you run into local restrictions. I know folks form Ca are flooding into Texas to get away from there bans. Same on hand guns. Here is a site you might find informative. Oh yeah and registration fees :(

http://oag.ca.gov/firearms/regagunfaqs#3

You will need a standard grip or a Californina legal grip. I know there also call them assualt weapson and some sort of registration. You will need a bullet button to turn it into a fixes 10 round mag. Sell your others off they will get you locked up. Bunch of rules then registration and then you run into local restrictions. I know folks form Ca are flooding into Texas to get away from there bans. Same on hand guns. Here is a site you might find informative. Oh yeah and registration fees :(

http://oag.ca.gov/fi...s/regagunfaqs#3

Hey Mopar, he's moving OUT OF California. You seem to have misread it.

http://oag.ca.gov/fi...s/regagunfaqs#3

Hey Mopar, he's moving OUT OF California. You seem to have misread it.

Or he thinks the entire state is like Chicago. One suggestion I would make is to call ahead at any local gun ranges or gun shops and see if they have locker rental. You could then store your guns here legally untill your FOID arrived. Maybe someone on here from that area might be able to help you out.

You will need a standard grip or a Californina legal grip. I know there also call them assualt weapson and some sort of registration. You will need a bullet button to turn it into a fixes 10 round mag. Sell your others off they will get you locked up. Bunch of rules then registration and then you run into local restrictions. I know folks form Ca are flooding into Texas to get away from there bans. Same on hand guns. Here is a site you might find informative. Oh yeah and registration fees :( http://oag.ca.gov/firearms/regagunfaqs#3

Ok, sorry dyslexia of the brain, it's from ca to Illinois, well duh....

Just to follow up: I wrote to the Illinois State Police, and they replied. Here is my e-mail and their response:

Hi,

I will be moving to Illinois (Decatur) in a couple of months, and

have a question. If I currently own a firearm, am I able to legally be

in possession of the firearm when I move to Illinois, before obtaining

a FOID card?

Thank you for any help you can provide.

And their reply (emphasis added):

Non residents are not eligible for an Illinois FOID card. You will need to wait until residency has been established and you have an Illinois drivers

license or state ID card.

Until you have a FOID card, it is recommended that, in order to be in compliance with all statutes, nonresidents transport all firearms:

1. Unloaded,

2. Enclosed in a case and,

3. Not immediately accessible or broken down in a nonfunctioning state.

Once you are inside the home, you can possess it the same as if you were in the state where you hold a drivers license.

You may find this information in the FOID Act and Deadly Weapons Act available on our website at: http://www.isp.state.il.us/foid/.

Please do not respond to this message unless you have an additional question. Thank you

Thank you all for your help. I'm glad to know I won't be breaking any Illinois law by simply being in possession of legally owned firearms prior to obtaining my FOID.

Welcome! FYI,here's the local Decatur newspaper if you want to read about the town news.

http://herald-review.com/

I'm not saying the town is ALL bad but get to know the place before taking an evening walk.

I'm guessing Decatur and Danville are probably the highest crime cities under 100,000 downstate.

Welcome! FYI,here's the local Decatur newspaper if you want to read about the town news.

http://herald-review.com/

I'm not saying the town is ALL bad but get to know the place before taking an evening walk.

I'm guessing Decatur and Danville are probably the highest crime cities under 100,000 downstate.

And Springfield is the "highest crime rate city" in the US, remember?

Veni, vidi, edi

Archived