mosin nagant help

rott

For some reason I all of a sudden decided I NEED a 91/30.... :)

I have done so e research last night but thought I would ask here also. I am looking at Buds, Aim Surplus and Classic Firearms. They all look to be similar in price by the time they get to me. (I have my FFL, so no transfer fee for me...).

Question...should I opt for "hand-picked", or for a hex receiver? I will honestly shoot this probably once per year...I just want one because of their history, availability, price and knock down power. I cannot see myself keeping this as an investment, so I don't really care about collector value. I want something safe, durable and fun.

Thanks!

If you want a shooter, and just want to own one (your first), just get the plain jane M91/30 with round receiver and no handpick. The only reason to get a hex receiver is that they are older, and somewhat more rare. Many folks doubt the utility of opting for "handpick." Then buy a tin or two of the Russian surplus ammo on the market, and shoot the heck out of it. Clean appropriately.

Thanks GF, I appreciate the feedback. Looks like I can pick one matching that description for $90+shipping, or if I care about "Tula Manufacture" it adds another $15. Based on what you're saying, it doesn't sound like I should spend the extra $15.

The thing that makes me think about going with the hex, is this statement on the Classic Firearms site: "All of these are considered excellent plus condition and all factory stamped matching serial #s on the receiver and bolt."

This is not stated for the round receiver option. The hex option is only $10....you don't think I need to worry about hex, but should I pay the extra money for matching serial numbers?

Thanks again...I actually am thinking about picking up a spam can of ammo from PSA quick before the free shipping ends....everywhere else I look at seems to charge about $20 to ship the ammo.

Is it bad to buy ammo BEFORE the firearm? :)

I wish I knew someone in Rockford that wanted one...I would buy a couple extra.

Mine is a plan Ivan '42 Izhevsk 91/30. Round receiver. Nothing fancy but a very nice shooter. Many of them have been through at least one refurb with some force matching of serial numbers, but that does not detract from their value as a great low-cost mil surp, high powered, accurate rifle.

I carry it in a VERY low cost RedHead 52" padded rifle case I got on sale at Bass Pro for about $12.

A terrific web resource for all things Mosin Nagant is:

http://forums.gunboards.com/forumdisplay.php?3-The-Collector-s-Forum-Mosin-Nagant-HQ

I also have a Tula Nagant pistol which is a hoot to shoot and another piece of affordable firearm history.

Rott:

Even though I still think I gave you the best advice I could ... I just looked at my gun list and of the 11 Mosin-Nagants I own, not a SINGLE ONE is a round-receiver M1891/30!

Mosin-Nagant (United States) M1891, 1917 Remington

Mosin-Nagant (Finland) M1891, 1942 Tikka

Mosin-Nagant (Finland) M1891, 1942 VKT

Mosin-Nagant (Finland) M1891/30, 1944 Tikka

Mosin-Nagant (Finland) M39, 1944 Sako

Mosin-Nagant (Finland) M39, 1942 VKT

Mosin-Nagant (Finland) M39, 1943 SK.Y

Mosin-Nagant (Russia) M1891 (ex-Dragoon), 1925

Mosin-Nagant (Russia) M1891/30, 1932

Mosin-Nagant (Russia) M44

Mosin-Nagant (China) Type 53, 1944.4

Rott:

Even though I still think I gave you the best advice I could ... I just looked at my gun list and of the 11 Mosin-Nagants I own, not a SINGLE ONE is a round-receiver M1891/30!

Mosin-Nagant (Russia) M1891 (ex-Dragoon), 1925

Mosin-Nagant (Russia) M1891/30, 1932

Mosin-Nagant (Russia) M44

Mosin-Nagant (China) Type 53, 1944.4

I see how you are....keep the hex ones for yourself, and steer the rest of us to the round ones! Just kidding....I appreciate the info!

I have no experience with Classic Firearms but have dealt with AIM Surplus. Everything I have purchased from AIM has been at least what I expected in condition from the description. I have also bought ammo for my Mosins and K31 Swiss and it has allways been well priced. I have also dealt with J&G Sales and had a great experience with them. Any future buying will probably be through the two of them. One company I was going to buy from was Samco, before the deal was made I said never mind and called AIM. Hope you have a good experience where ever yopu buy, Jim.

Rott:

Somewhere recently I saw a website where some guy had quite a collection of Finn Mosins for sale. They weren't cheap.

My dad has a Westinghouse Mosin from the same period. Alas, it got sporterized butchered at some point along the way. Somebody cut a dovetail in the bolt. (Why????)

Looks like I will be contacting AIM....is it weird that I am just as excited abut getting a $90 gun as a $1200 one?

New guns are always fun. And, the MN is kind of a weird funky antique, miraculously preserved into the present day, like a coelecanth.

Lee Enfield:

Yes, I try to pick up interesting rifles when I find them for a good price. I've been looking for a Westinghouse for some time now, as well as some of the national variants of the M44s. With time, one tends to encounter interesting pieces, to find goo deals, and to grow a small collection. It's rather fun I must say!

Indeed, it's sad that folks who didn't know any better (or perhaps just lived in another time and perspective) butchered up pieces of history. Perhaps only because they thought it was the right thing to do, or perhaps only because they were rather short-sighted. Such is life. Such is history. And too often, we don't learn enough from it.

Posted · Hidden by vezpa, May 29, 2012 at 12:55 PM - No reason given
Hidden by vezpa, May 29, 2012 at 12:55 PM - No reason given

Despite the cheaper price of a surplus 91/30 I would recommend finding yourself a M44, They can be had online on www.gunbroker.com. They are shorter and a lot cooler with the side folding attached bayonet. They also fit in a gun case that much easier (a M44 is 40 inches compared to the 48.5 of a standard 91/30. Although they are more expensive they are worth every penny. I have a 1952 Polish (Radom) that I bought locally from a guy who traded it in as I was standing at my local gunstore counter and it is REALLY nice. The difference in quality of a Polish model is astronomical. They were made by the finest craftsmen during non-wartime with some of the best wood. If you look at my Polish M44 and look at my friends 1944 Russian Izhevsk there is no comparison. The quality of wood finishing and receiver work on the Polish make it look like a different gun. You don't even need to do the trigger spring mod on my Polish (loose trigger) because it is already "that" nice. (If you buy a Russian 91/30 look up trigger spring and buy one, it is a much needed $8.00 modification.

There is debate as to whether the Finnish or Polish Mosins are the best quality. The Fins however modified most of their Mosins in a way which I feel detracts from the essence of a Mosin. They modified the stocks, most notably the sling mounts by making them more conventional, and thus not using the leather/canvas belted slings like most of the other Mosins from other countries which I do not like.

If you are looking for the standard 91/30 don't be so much worried about the Hex/round receiver, try to get one that is pre-WWII or post WWII. Buying one from the war years will get you one that is of sub-par quality to the others because they were churning them out faster and spent less time finishing them because they were supplying a war and needed to get them out to battle quickly.

Also before you buy locally or before you shoot whichever one you get shipped I would strongly suggest you spend a little money on a no-go gauge from http://www.okiegauges.com/

This is a very simply tool that measures the headspace on your rifle to determine if it is safe to shoot. My friend loaned me his gauge and mine checked out perfectly. Highly recomended for any Mosin owner.

I just purchased a 440round Russian spam can for $91.00 with shipping. Its corrosive ammunition but a quick barrel /bore wipedown after use with windex or other specialty cleaner will neutralize the salts from the primer of the corrosive ammo. The surplus ammo is 4x cheaper than any non-corrosive ammo I could find online and for plainking simply can't be beat.

Cabellas has the 91/30s on sale now for $119.00 which isnt cheap but they will let you look through them for the nicest one. Get there when the gun dept opens and they are much more inclined to let you llook through the shipping crate.

I'm not a expert on the Mosin but i would be glad to answer any additional questions for you via pm.

post-2751-0-59125400-1338293552.jpg

I got my mosin....cleaned her all up and I am pretty happy.

Of course I have no knowledge of them, but everything looks pretty good. I told my wife I already want a second one!

Properly removing cosmoline is very important. Some of these mosins are covered in it to the point of being trully laughable. If it looks clean, clean it again. If you just clean it by wiping it down to where it looks good to the eye, the first time the gun gets hot it will start oozing or sweating cosmoline from the wood and turn you and your gun case into a big mess.

Get yourself a 4 or 5 inch wide pvc tube that is 50 inches long and sealed shut on one side. Get 2 gallons of mineral spirits, not the eco-friendly milky stuff but the clear old stuff. Fully Disassemble the mosin. Stand the tube up outside and fill the pvc tube with both gallons of mineral spirits.

Submerge the entire wooden stock for an hour to get all the cosmoline out. Take out and rub thoroughly with a terry cloth towel until no sign of residual cosmoline is left. Then submerge the rest of the metal parts and let them sit overnight. This will remove all the cosmoline from everything with virtually no work on your part besides maybe a little soft toothbrush action on some of the small parts and run a good bore brush up and down the barrel. An alternative is to heat the wood in an oven set to 200 degrees and the wood cosmoline will sweat out of the wood that way. This takes a while and will require many rags to complete the job properly.

I polished the wood on mine twice after doing the above process and it looks GREAT !

Archived