Wilson v. Cook County (Semi-Auto Gun Ban)

Tvandermyde

• 1 month later...

Response brief was due Nov. 18th.

Court’s Order granting the Motion for appearances pro hac vice of Brady center counsel

several amici filings

Despite what you'd think, "pro hac" is not short for "Professional Hack".

I'm hearing that Brady is in, so is LCAV and the inflatables. Chicago has filed for a brief.

Now I am chasing down the ghosts, but one report has Cook County asking for another extension. And the amici wanting an extension beyond that.

Either they are incompotent, lazy, understaffed or trying to drag this out or all of the above.

We heard earlier this year, that the Chicago anti-gun strategy was to drag this out, hope for a second Obama term and then wait to replace 1 or more of the five with a anti-Heller justice.

We will just have to wait and see.

I'm hearing that Brady is in, so is LCAV and the inflatables. Chicago has filed for a brief.

Now I am chasing down the ghosts, but one report has Cook County asking for another extension. And the amici wanting an extension beyond that.

Either they are incompotent, lazy, understaffed or trying to drag this out or all of the above.

We heard earlier this year, that the Chicago anti-gun strategy was to drag this out, hope for a second Obama term and then wait to replace 1 or more of the five with a anti-Heller justice.

We will just have to wait and see.

And work our butts off to make sure that Obama doesn't get a chance to replace any of the five!!

Sheesh. What a strategy. The courts would/should skin them alive if that strategy can be demonstrated.

That would be a violation of Wilson's 1A rights (right to petition government for a redress of grievances).

Sheesh. What a strategy. The courts would/should skin them alive if that strategy can be demonstrated.

That would be a violation of Wilson's 1A rights (right to petition government for a redress of grievances).

Just need a leaked email or memo...

Just need a leaked email or memo...

Where's Wikileaks when you need 'em?

On a different, but related note -- The Joyce Foundation is the major funder of all these groups. During Beatrice Joyce's life the Foundation was never involved in anti second amendment activities. With a Self-perpetuating board there is no check on how they can decide to spend the money. I wonder if a court could find that these activities are not what she intended. It is rare, I think, for a court to "reform a trust" but it has been done. At least the publicity might slow them down a bit. Do we have any legal scholars who could persue this line of reasoning?

Just a thought.

As I've watched this whole issue for the last 4-5 years, it's become very clear to me that Chicago politicians don't give two ***ts about the constitution. State or Federal. They truly don't think that any laws; moral, civil, criminal, local, state or Federal apply to them at all. They are "special" and their little world is so unique that it can't be bound or bothered by any laws except those that they write.

I'm at a loss for words to describe my feelings about this.

I guess I'm not really at a loss, it's just that if I use the ones that I'm thinking right now, I'd probably be banned.

AB

Thanks Todd. Reading those arguments as a whole ... it seems (to me at least) that this one is Wilson's to lose. The County's pivotal arguments are either easily refuted (semiautos aren't "dangerous" and certainly not unusual), or easily cast into much doubt (regarding how well they further a substantial governmental interest).

In terms of determining efficacy of the county's gun ban, I truly hope that some of the fact-finding in this case will point to how effectively the county's ban has been enforced since 1993. I suspect that would be very telling, in terms of illuminating how necessary said law truly is to the county's interests.

That said, am I correct in that a loss at the IL Supreme Court would allow Wilson to appeal directly to SCOTUS?

• 3 weeks later...

FYI: Oral arguments schedule for the morning of Wed. Jan 18, in Springfield, probably around 9:30AM. I'll be there.

In Springfield? That surprises me. I just thought with Cook Co. being involved it would have to be in the northern district court.

It's the IL Supreme Court.

Archived