WTB - Conceal Pistol

usualjag

Interesting first post from a brand new member.

I agree

?? If I have a FOID and am legal why would it matter? Not the warmest welcome I have ever seen but that is ok. DRYLOK is a friend of mine and I thought I would check out the site.

Sorry guys, not trying to freak you out... I do most of my blogging on duckhuntingchat.com under MM (screen name). Here is a quick bio.

Live in Savoy, IL (Champaign)

Moderator on DHC

Chairman - Delta Waterfowl

Committee Member - DU

Occupation - Consultant (Security) / firefighter

Dakota Decoy - Field Staffer

Have a valid PA conceal permit and am doing my small part to get laws changed in IL.

etc...

I work a lot in IN, MO, and KY and my XD .45 is a little large to conceal in the warm weather. Just looking for something smaller like a Ruger SP101, S&W Air lite, Model 60, etc. OR, a subcompact semi. NO GLOCKS. I am left handed and the clip release is on the wrong side/rubs my middle finger raw while shooting.

Welcome to the site, usualjag. And no hard feelings, I hope. I also thought your post a bit suspicious, given the "whatever" in you selection of a compact gun. I hope you can appreciate we're just being careful, as gunowners should.

No Worries. There are so many compact guns out there it would be impossible for me to name all the ones I want :thumbsup:, therefore they fall into the whatever catagory. Anyway, no hard feelings. J

You could get a Ruger LCP (.380 Auto) for under $300.00 NIB if you're looking for something really small. Throw a CT laser on it, grab a couple extra mags and you're all set :thumbsup:

side note: just make sure it's post recall, there was an issue with there being a chance of them firing when dropped hard before.

You could get a Ruger LCP (.380 Auto) for under $300.00 NIB if you're looking for something really small. Throw a CT laser on it, grab a couple extra mags and you're all set :question:

side note: just make sure it's post recall, there was an issue with there being a chance of them firing when dropped hard before.

+1 on the LCP, very nice compact pocket pistol, get yourself some SD ammo and no worries. :whistle:

Hi,

I have put about 200 rounds through mine, and also installed the Crimson Trace laser. Very nice combination, since the stock sights are pretty minimal. (In all fairness, it is a belly/backup gun in every sense of the word. Past 7-10 yards, you will really be wishing you had your main piece.) I got mine for $299 at Cabelas about 5 months ago, and if you can get one for $250, snap it up.

Just be sure that if it's a 370 series serial number, that it has a small diamond imprinted next to the hammer. That will indicate it's been retrofitted with an upgraded hammer mechanism. If it's a 371, that means it's good to go as is. If you got a plain 370, you'd probably end up wanting to send it back to Ruger for the safety upgrade. That's free, but you're without your gun for a few weeks.

FWIW.

Rich Phillips

I have the LCP, one of the very first ones, I absolutely love it. I have about 750 rounds through her and after a problem with the barrel out the box(replaced imediately by Ruger) no further issues. I highly recommend one. Also for additional info on the LCP check out www.elsiepeaforum.com, a site pretty much dedicated to the LCP :thumbsup:

Just wondering ... if you have a xd 45 then why not go with a subcompact xd in either 9 mm or .40 S&W ?? That way you would be staying with the same type action .

That thought has crossed my mind several times and I have not ruled it out. I really like how small / light some revolvers are. I also like the fact you don't need to mess with the springs in the mags. Load it and leave it. If you leave a semi clip loaded too long the spring wears out and there is a chance of failure (as I am sure you guys know).

If you guys know someone with a subcompact for sale in the CU area let me know, I would check it out. I own lots of guns but a snub revolver or a subcompact still need to be bought :thumbsup:

I have just started shooting my S&W .44 mag again and it has gotten me into a wheel gun kick (again...)

A J frame S&W is always a decent choice. A 642:

That is exactly what I want. I really like the Ruger SP 101 too... Little extra firepower but a lot more weight. I love the alloy J frame.

Just looked at the LCP and it has pretty good reviews. It is almost as small as my Browning .25

Anyone have the Bersa subcompact .380? I hear really good things about them...

Springs wear out due to repeated compression and decompression. Leaving mags loaded for months or even years does not wear out the springs. This has been extensively tested and reviewed by many experts. Anyway, if that is your only reason for not using an auto, dont worry about it. That being said, (when legal) If Im not carrying my micro 1911, I have a small revolver.

and as others have said, welcome to the forums!!

phishboy66

I own the pistol Ruger copied, The KelTec P3AT. Always goes bang, hides well in a pocket holster, very economical.

Just MY thunk on the subject, find a good gun shoppe, I REALLY like Megasports in Plainfield, IL. Their selection is amazing, and they have in inventory a handgun for all needs and budgets. I firmly believe that all makes they carry are solid, reliable choices. And for sure you will find many more than one to choose from. Buying a handgun that fits your hand is not something that you can do over the internet, any more than you could find a good fitting shoe based on some else's recommendation.

I have a couple of .38 Specials that I would be willing to sell: a Smith & Wesson Model 64 and a Smith & Wesson Model 442 Airweight. Both have the box, paperwork, etc. Here's some pictures. Let me know if you have any interest in either one. I also have the original grips for the Model 64.

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/442_Left1.jpghttp://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/442_Right1.jpghttp://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/64_Left.jpghttp://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/64_Right.jpg

PM Sent.

A J frame S&W is always a decent choice. A 642:

That is exactly what I want. I really like the Ruger SP 101 too... Little extra firepower but a lot more weight. I love the alloy J frame.

Just looked at the LCP and it has pretty good reviews. It is almost as small as my Browning .25

Anyone have the Bersa subcompact .380? I hear really good things about them...

Used to have one, and it was great. If you've got smaller hands, you're in good shape. That was the only problem I had, I've got bear paws for hands. But the mag grip extension was good enough to compensate. It shot pretty good, esp. in the hands of an occasional shooter!!

I own the pistol Ruger copied, The KelTec P3AT. Always goes bang, hides well in a pocket holster, very economical.

Just MY thunk on the subject, find a good gun shoppe, I REALLY like Megasports in Plainfield, IL. Their selection is amazing, and they have in inventory a handgun for all needs and budgets. I firmly believe that all makes they carry are solid, reliable choices. And for sure you will find many more than one to choose from. Buying a handgun that fits your hand is not something that you can do over the internet, any more than you could find a good fitting shoe based on some else's recommendation.

+1 for Megasports! I love that place. I'm like a kid in a candy store there, their selection is unbeatable so far!!

I have not shot it yet and really don't plan on making any conceal gun a "shooter" gun. I plan on doing 100-200 rounds to get accurate and the feel of the gun, then maybe 50 rounds a year as refresher on it. It will have one purpose only... If I am in a pinch I want to be confident I can take care of business. I know every gun feels different and shoots different but it is all the same principle. My XD45 gets over 1000 rounds a year through it which keeps the good habits good.

usualjag , get a piece of fine sandpaper and smooth that casting flash all around the frame. Also work on the grip knobs . I also worked on the tip of the trigger on my PF-9.

I put 50 rounds through my pistol before smoothing the flash and I can tell you it makes a difference.

Archived