HB0845

ilphil

Bill Status of HB0845 96th General Assembly

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Short Description: CRIMINAL LAW-FOID CARD

House Sponsors

Rep. Edward J. Acevedo

Synopsis As Introduced

Amends the Firearm Owners Identification Card Act. Provides that the Department of State Police may revoke and seize a Firearm Owner's Identification Card previously issued under the Act of a person who fails to report the loss or theft of a handgun a second time to the local law enforcement agency within 72 hours after obtaining knowledge of the second loss or theft. Amends the Criminal Code of 1961. Provides that if a person who possesses a valid Firearm Owner's Identification Card and who possesses or acquires a handgun thereafter loses or misplaces the handgun, or if the handgun is stolen from the person, the person must report the loss or theft to the local law enforcement agency within 72 hours after obtaining knowledge of the loss or theft. Effective immediately.

http://ilga.gov/legislation/billstatus.asp...mp;SessionID=76

Bill Status of HB0845 96th General Assembly

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Short Description: CRIMINAL LAW-FOID CARD

House Sponsors

Rep. Edward J. Acevedo

Synopsis As Introduced

Amends the Firearm Owners Identification Card Act. Provides that the Department of State Police may revoke and seize a Firearm Owner's Identification Card previously issued under the Act of a person who fails to report the loss or theft of a handgun a second time to the local law enforcement agency within 72 hours after obtaining knowledge of the second loss or theft. Amends the Criminal Code of 1961. Provides that if a person who possesses a valid Firearm Owner's Identification Card and who possesses or acquires a handgun thereafter loses or misplaces the handgun, or if the handgun is stolen from the person, the person must report the loss or theft to the local law enforcement agency within 72 hours after obtaining knowledge of the loss or theft. Effective immediately.

http://ilga.gov/legislation/billstatus.asp...mp;SessionID=76

Another re-write from last year. We'll have to be ever vigilant on the defense and not get so engrossed on the offense that they slide something through.

Tim

This bill is now scheduled to be heard in the Executive Committee on Feb. 19th @ 10:30

I've been watching the General Assembly website for this bill, but suspect updates will take some time to show up there. Any news on that happened in that meeting this morning?

The page finally updated, but only with the following text:

"Executive Committee Hearing Feb 25 2009 9:00AM Capitol Building Room 118 Springfield, IL"

On that day, in addition to HB845, they will also be taking on HB48.

http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/BillStatus...amp;LegID=40008

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like it passed out of committee.

http://www.dailyherald.com/story/?id=276672&src=109

SPRINGFIELD - A proposal requiring Illinois gun owners to report a lost or stolen gun to police within 72 hours or face the possible loss of their right to own a gun was approved by an Illinois House committee Wednesday.

Proponents claim the plan will reduce gun crime and help police by making it easier to stop gun trafficking, trace stolen guns and prosecute people who steal guns.

"A lost or stolen requirement would help police identify suspicious patterns of behavior by persons who fail to file reports yet continually claim their guns were lost or stolen after they are recovered at a crime scene," Cook County State's Attorney Anita Alvarez testified at the hearing.

However, a representative of the National Rifle Association said he suspects if this proposal becomes law it will run afoul of a 2008 U.S. Supreme Court ruling establishing an individual's right to own a gun.

"This bill is absurd. It's laughable," said Todd Vandermyde, a NRA lobbyist. "You lose your right to own a firearm for failing to report a property crime?"

The proposal makes a second failure to report a lost or stolen gun a misdemeanor and permits state police to strip a violator's Firearms Owner's Identification Card. Without the card it's illegal to purchase or possess firearms or ammunition in Illinois. The Democratic-majority committee approved the proposal, 6-4, on a party-line vote.

Alvarez said she finds the proposal constitutionally sound.

"I don't believe the way this particular law is written infringes on anyone's right to own a weapon. In fact, it protects them just as well as it protects society," Alvarez said. "Wouldn't it be better for you to have the proof that you in fact reported that gun lost or stolen when in fact it was?"

State Rep. Edward Sullivan Jr., a Mundelein Republican, was not persuaded by Alvarez. Sullivan said he's worried Chicago residents who own prohibited handguns will be prosecuted if those owners report their handguns stolen.

Chicago requires all guns be registered with police, but since 1982 the city has prohibited registration of handguns, effectively banning them. That law is being challenged following last year's U.S. Supreme Court decision.

Alvarez said Sullivan's scenario seemed pretty unlikely.

"I hardly think they're going to walk into my office to report they lost a gun they illegally had," Alvarez said.

The plan must still be approved by the full House, the state Senate and Gov. Pat Quinn in order to become law.

Alvarez said:

"I hardly think they're going to walk into my office to report they lost a gun they illegally had," Alvarez said.

She is right, They won't report it because they are exempt from reporting it. U.U. Supreme court already has stated that such reporting requirements are a violation of your fifth amendment rights against self incrimination in cases where compliance with such regulation can result in criminal prosecution.

This will be a good one to hit at IGOLD. I am sure we will have a full plate of issues next week.

Here we go again.

faked statistics sponsored by biased groups. It sounded like they believe that any gun owner is a "source" for illegal gun trade ON PURPOSE. I couldn't listen to the whole thing. Excuse me now. I have to go clean my keyboard.

I actually did have a couple of handguns stolen once.I immediatly reported them as stolen,but in the hopes of getting them back(which I eventually did).But getting them back was my only motivation.Do I think there should be a law? heck no!

I actually did have a couple of handguns stolen once.I immediatly reported them as stolen,but in the hopes of getting them back(which I eventually did).But getting them back was my only motivation.Do I think there should be a law? heck no!

I, too, had one stolen along with a ton of magazines and ammo. I even knew who took it! Police came and filed a report, but never even paid the suspect a visit to question him. I'm just waiting for that gun to be tracked back to me after a future crime, but at least I've got the paperwork showing it was reported stolen. It was only common sense to report it stolen.

Without an LTC law most gun owners in Illinois probably keep their guns in the same place in the home and probably don't check them every 72 hours. It is possible a gun could be stolen and the owner would not know it for several weeks or even months. Some might even learn of the theft after getting a call from the police saying their gun is in the evidence locker room. How in the world is the owner supposed to prove they weren't aware of the theft?

ISRA has the committee hearing available to listen to here -

It's quite clear that Alvarez and Acevedo are using Joyce Foundation funded studies compiled by Joyce Foundation funed anti-gun rights groups.

And DAMN ... that Vandermyde is GOOD!

Anita and Eddie were pretty much tongue-tied, while Todd was brilliant, articulate, and on high ground.

from isra im hearing this debate right now like 19 mints long .

HB 845 Clears Executive Committee in Illinois House

Bill would criminalize victims of theft, give criminals a pass

This bill would criminalize losing a firearm or being the victim of a theft of a firearm. The ISRA has the recorded audio testimony of this bill available for download here.

ISRA strongly recommends that readers download and listen to this testimony, and also read the NRA position paper on this bill, also available for download here from the ISRA legislative pages. This will give you an idea of the mindset that we're up against here in Illinois, and a good view of one of the people working on our behalf, namely the testimony from Todd Vandermyde, NRA lobbyist in Illinois.

The ISRA has the current status of this bill posted here on the ISRA legislative home page.

Posted Wed Mar 4 22:36:30 CST 2009

As we all know when it comes to this arse of a state anything is possible. We have the FEDS on our side with the recent ruling about DC. It will be a battle to fight, but the idiots that hold office in this state and agree with this bill know fully well that the gun owners taxes will be used to fight the bills constitutional muster.

Archived