Is this conversion kit legal in Illinois?

hobbiesguy

I'm looking for a conversion kit for my Taurus and liked the Gen 2 Micro Conversion kit with the regular folding stock. Live in Illinois, Cook county but outside and away from Chicago but with the specs I'm still confused about whether this turns my little G2C into a geneva convention banned super rifle, per Illinois laws. Can someone actually tell me if it's still legal? I would like to just be able to convert my gun instead of getting a riffle, although seems that may be easier to get for now.                       

Thanks!

For a little more might look at this.

https://www.extarusa.com/

Guy at work (I work in Missouri) has one and loves it.  He said his Bro in law is an mp and took his apart down to the atoms as he put it and said he was pretty impressed.  The Bro in law apparently owns one now.  

If you look on YouTube a channel called honest outlaw did a review a few days ago. I think he said he’s got 3000-4000 rounds through it and likes it.

On 8/22/2022 at 12:12 PM, hobbiesguy said:

I'm looking for a conversion kit for my Taurus and liked the Gen 2 Micro Conversion kit with the regular folding stock. Live in Illinois, Cook county but outside and away from Chicago but with the specs I'm still confused about whether this turns my little G2C into a geneva convention banned super rifle, per Illinois laws. Can someone actually tell me if it's still legal? I would like to just be able to convert my gun instead of getting a riffle, although seems that may be easier to get for now.                       

Thanks!

TheWebsiteAnswersYourQuestion.jpg

On 8/22/2022 at 6:27 PM, Illinois Sucks said:

TheWebsiteAnswersYourQuestion.jpg

You got me there, I'm quite unaware of how much Illinois has done to restrict legal firearms because God forbid you stop in its tracks a home invader with a weapon smaller than yours.

So excuse my ignorance, I recon I will need the ATF paperwork filed. And yet, is it really legal here?

Thanks

On 8/22/2022 at 4:05 PM, illinois_buckeye said:

For a little more might look at this.

https://www.extarusa.com/

Guy at work (I work in Missouri) has one and loves it.  He said his Bro in law is an mp and took his apart down to the atoms as he put it and said he was pretty impressed.  The Bro in law apparently owns one now.  

If you look on YouTube a channel called honest outlaw did a review a few days ago. I think he said he’s got 3000-4000 rounds through it and likes it.

Sweeet 😁

On 8/22/2022 at 8:32 PM, hobbiesguy said:

... I'm quite unaware of how much Illinois has done to restrict legal firearms ...

So excuse my ignorance, I recon I will need the ATF paperwork filed. And yet, is it really legal here?

As an SBR, you'll need a federal C&R license in IL, so it's legal under those conditions at the state level. Since you live in Cook County, I believe you'll need to check your local ordinances to see if your municipality overrides the county ban.

On 8/22/2022 at 7:32 PM, hobbiesguy said:

You got me there, I'm quite unaware of how much Illinois has done to restrict legal firearms because God forbid you stop in its tracks a home invader with a weapon smaller than yours.

Thanks

Honestly, I have no idea how they handle this.  I would guess that the conversion kit itself is not subject to NFA regulations until it is attached to your pistol.  I would imagine they sell these like any other non regulated gun accessory and it is up to you to do your due diligence before installing it.  I suspect that a phone call or email to CKS Tactical would clear up any confusion on how they regard this accessory and if you have to have approval to buy it. 

On 8/23/2022 at 8:52 AM, Illinois Sucks said:

Honestly, I have no idea how they handle this.  I would guess that the conversion kit itself is not subject to NFA regulations until it is attached to your pistol.  I would imagine they sell these like any other non regulated gun accessory and it is up to you to do your due diligence before installing it.  I suspect that a phone call or email to CKS Tactical would clear up any confusion on how they regard this accessory and if you have to have approval to buy it. 

I emailed them days ago, tracking says they opened the email but so far no reply. Given how non-sense things are with local, county and state laws, I'm thinking going straight to a full fledged rifle and skip the circus.

On 8/23/2022 at 9:42 AM, hobbiesguy said:

I emailed them days ago, tracking says they opened the email but so far no reply. Given how non-sense things are with local, county and state laws, I'm thinking going straight to a full fledged rifle and skip the circus.

If you really want the conversion.  Just get the one with the "arm brace" which is perfectly legal (for now) and can function identically to regular stock if you choose to shoulder it. 

This falls into the category of "maybe" and for who.

If the overall length is 26 inches or more, ATF says its legal and will approve paperwork for reeneactors, C&R holders and cops.

If the overall length is less than 26 inches, ATF will not approve, except to cops, though I think ATF wrong.

I've got a DJ action on file to declare that less than 26 inch SBRs are OK with C&R FFL, but its early in the case

Archived