How long do I really have to wait?

My medical marijuana card was canceled December 17, 2021. It is currently April 12, 2022. I had a denied firearm transaction from a local FFL in March of 2022. Based on the discretionary legal presumption... I am still considered a unlawful drug user. Yet no one can provide the written statue or section that indicates I have to wait a year. How would you guy's handle this appeal? A lawyer is a minimum of $2500.00

20220402_202014.jpg

Me, I would wait till December to get my firearm. I wouldn't want to spend the money for the lawyer to try to fight the case now because by the time the case starts to take any movement, it will be after December. 

If it was after December and you received the letter, then I would mark the boxes and send it in. I would probably consult an attorney at that point. 

Just because the Government is doing something, doesn't mean it is legal. The question becomes how much is it worth to you to fight the battle against it? 

FOID is good for two more years before expiration. A FTF transfer is a great option as you seem to be in a hurry. Lots of “new” guns come up for sale right here on IC. Then after December with a full year left on the FOID you can address this issue head on with having followed their rules. 

The only part that makes no sense in today’s system is you had and listed a medical card. And yet everyone else in Illinois is doing what you are doing “without” a card and just not bringing it up. Good Luck and scratch that itch with a FTF from some here or someone you know!

• 8 months later...
On 4/12/2022 at 5:31 AM, FlyBoy4Life said:

My medical marijuana card was canceled December 17, 2021. It is currently April 12, 2022. I had a denied firearm transaction from a local FFL in March of 2022. Based on the discretionary legal presumption... I am still considered a unlawful drug user. Yet no one can provide the written statue or section that indicates I have to wait a year. How would you guy's handle this appeal? A lawyer is a minimum of $2500.00

Wondering if you had a 4473 go through in December (last month)?  It's my understanding you have to wait 366 days from the cancelation of the MMC to pass the background.  I surrendered/canceled my MMC on January 17, 2022 and am going to wait until the 23rd/24th of this month before I try to make a purchase at an FFL just to be safe.

Archived