Hi everyone, I’m new on the forum and hoping to find help regarding my FOID appeal process.

I was denied my FOID card because I stayed overnight in a hospital for mental distress more than 5 years ago. I was emotionally distraught, had to flee to a neighbor’s house to feel safe, after being forced to attend a visitation with my father (who was relentlessly being hurtful towards my mother so I verbally defended her), which lead to a terrible argument (I felt very threatened). I called the police and they were very kind to me but concerned regarding how much distress I was under; I was offered (at the time I thought it was only a positive/helpful opportunity without any concern of future negative consequence) the option of going to the ER to talk to someone and stay at the hospital overnight. So I agreed and I stayed voluntarily.

After receiving my denial letter, I understand that, while it has been over 5 years, I will now need a mental health evaluation by a physician which must be sent directly to the IL State Police. However, I am unsure where to begin and I’m unfamiliar with the rest of the appeal process.

Currently, this is all the information I know about the appeal process for my specific situation. I don’t know if I need any other certified documents, forms, a lawyer (I currently do not think I can afford an attorney), etc. to get my rights back.

I am simply looking for some guidance please. If anyone may offer advice and/or information such as links to papers/forms, articles, websites, etc., or has been through this process and may recommend a list of steps that I must do to complete the FOID appeal process, such help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Edited by ak_girl

Currently, this is all the information I know about the appeal process for my specific situation. I don’t know if I need any other certified documents, forms, a lawyer (I currently do not think I can afford an attorney), etc. to get my rights back.

Request for FOID appeal document

Waiver of investigation document

Mental health certification letter sent by physician to ISP

Mail your documents via a mail service that will provide a signed receipt of delivery. Keep a set of the documents for your files. Have your physician let you know when he sends in this certification letter so you will have a timeline.