FOID question

Wasn't quite sure where to post this. A friend of mine wants to go shooting with me. He does not possess a FOID card, and the shooting will take place on private property owned by his parents. As long as I am present, is it legal for him to use my firearms in this setting? I couldn't find anything addressing this on the ISP website.

Here it is in the law:

http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/ilcs/ilcs3.asp?ActID=1657&ChapAct=430%26nbsp%3BILCS%26nbsp%3B65%2F&ChapterID=39&ChapterName=PUBLIC+SAFETY&ActName=Firearm+Owners+Identification+Card+Act%2E

( :cool: The provisions of this Section regarding the possession of firearms, firearm ammunition, stun guns, and tasers do not apply to:

(14) Resident hunters who are properly authorized to hunt and, while accompanied by a person who possesses a valid Firearm Owner's Identification Card, hunt in an area within a commercial club licensed under the Wildlife Code where hunting is permitted and controlled;

(15) A person who is otherwise eligible to obtain a Firearm Owner's Identification Card under this Act and is under the direct supervision of a holder of a Firearm Owner's Identification Card who is 21 years of age or older while the person is on a firing or shooting range or is a participant in a firearms safety and training course recognized by a law enforcement agency or a national, statewide shooting sports organization; and

A non-FOID holder 21 or older can shoot on a firing or shooting range under the supervision of a FOID holder. The only question is whether or not the range needs to be one that is recognized by the Department of State Police.

In the range exceptions given in the FOID Act, which I've quoted below, the text says that non-residents may possess on a "range recognized by the Department of State Police." For residents, it simply states "on a firing or shooting range." The exception for residents doesn't require state police recognition of the range. Was that the intent as written? I don't know. Your call.

( b ) The provisions of this Section regarding the possession of firearms, firearm ammunition, stun guns, and tasers do not apply to:

(7) Nonresidents while on a firing or shooting range recognized by the Department of State Police; however, these persons must at all other times and in all other places have their firearms unloaded and enclosed in a case;

(15) A person who is otherwise eligible to obtain a Firearm Owner's Identification Card under this Act and is under the direct supervision of a holder of a Firearm Owner's Identification Card who is 21 years of age or older while the person is on a firing or shooting range or is a participant in a firearms safety and training course recognized by a law enforcement agency or a national, statewide shooting sports organization;

Edited by kwc

Question: Is this person a resident of Illinois?

would it matter? i've taken international visitors shooting. even at gun ranges, they just show a foreign passport for ID, and we go shooting.

besides, it's private property.

The law has provisions for non-residents to allow them to shot. I made the assumption that it was a resident and did not quote the non-resident information. If you check the FOID Act, it is covered in there.

If you're 21 or older, have a valid FOID and the other person is legally able to possess a firearm and it's private property and there are no ordinances prohibiting the discharge of firearms and you have the approval of the property owner to shoot on the property (and it's a safe place to shoot) I don't see what the problem would be.

Personally I believe a non-FOID holding resident shooting on private property with a supervising FOID holder, on the "private range," would comply with the FOID Act. LE may not agree, but as far as I know it hasn't been much of an issue since the Act was first passed. But that's a personal choice that would likely not draw attention. IANAL.

As for "private property being private," the FOID Act says otherwise. If it was truly private the owner would be allowed to possess a firearm on his or her property without a FOID. Should it be private? You better believe it! The FOID Act is an intrusion.

Edited by kwc