Pro 2A resolution - Archive

Ashdump

Hancock City Gun Club

(217) 357-2434

1605 N Il-94, Carthage, IL 62321

My kids used to live and attend school at Carthage and I'd go past the gun club to pick them up. It looks like an active club, well kept and I've had good feedback although I don't know anyone there anymore. (Except my ex and she doesn't count.)

Four Stars

Has anyone heard how things went in Boone County tonight?

Molly B.

I just got an email from Ms. Tobin of the Boone County Board saying the Administrative and Legislative Committee is requesting that I or another representative attend their June 30th meeting (6pm in the Boone County courthouse) to discuss the "gun control ordinance" (her words, not mine).

I have let the guys at Pro2AResolution know about this request and am posting the news here as an update. I will be in Colorado during the time of this next meeting so I regret to say I won't be able to attend it personally. If anyone else is able and willing to attend please post a reply so we can all know the situation is in good hands. Thanks.

I was wondering how the CCW Resolution moving along in Winn. Co. would or could 'effect' the discussion of the Pro-2 Resolution in Boone. IF they think the Pro-2 is a "gun CONTROL ordinance", what kind of surprise it might be to the unaware on the board?

It torques me off to have to work nights, and not be more able to help out with these goals in person.

I was wondering how the CCW Resolution moving along in Winn. Co. would or could 'effect' the discussion of the Pro-2 Resolution in Boone. IF they think the Pro-2 is a "gun CONTROL ordinance", what kind of surprise it might be to the unaware on the board?

It torques me off to have to work nights, and not be more able to help out with these goals in person.

We're hoping its a domino effect... Once Winnebago is totally in the fight by passing it and then issuing a permit, we are hoping the other counties will see that the Illinois State Government isn't THAT scary... just very misguided...

We're hoping its a domino effect... Once Winnebago is totally in the fight by passing it and then issuing a permit, we are hoping the other counties will see that the Illinois State Government isn't THAT scary... just very misguided...

You know what is ironic?

The state of Illinois, and the city of Chicago, each filed amicus briefs with the US Supreme Court in the case "DC v. Heller." The state filed at the certiorari/petition stage and the city filed at the merits stage.

Both the state and the city argued for local control on gun issues. But rest assured, in regard to the Winn county movement, they will argue against local control.

Given that, I think this is going to be fun....

References:

States Brief: http://www.gurapossessky.com/news/parker/d...s/nys_amici.pdf

Relevant passage: Consequently, the amici States have a strong interest in the review of the court of appeals’ decision, the rejection of its reasoning, and the reaffirmance by this Court of the States’ traditional authority to protect public safety through the exercise of the police power to restrict access to certain types of firearms.

Chicago Brief: http://www.gurapossessky.com/news/parker/d...tyofChicago.pdf

Relevant passage: Against this backdrop, the amici (collectively, Chicago) consider it imperative that the democratic process be uninhibited by federal constitutional constraints that were never intended to apply against state and local governments, and that the States be free to regulate firearms as they deem appropriate to the particular conditions in their communities.

Question for Chicago --- what if the "democratic process" results in a local government issuing licenses to individuals to carry in public, in order to protect the public safety?

This is going to be fun...

NOTE: You folks in Winnebago that care about the CCW issue, and are preparing for the likely backlash, need to download or print those two briefs (one filed by the state, and the other by the city of Chicago) and become intimately familiar with the arguments therein.

CCW Resolution? I know I've been pretty busy lately, and haven't been able to do much more than stop in here and at www.supremecourtus.gov to check on the Heller case, but did we fire up another resolution to go around? Can the county boards actually pass a resolution to offer CCW in their county without the state legislature passing a law providing guidelines? How would reciprocation work between various counties passing such a resolution? somebody please fill me in on this one. Even though the Macon County Sheriff is anti-gun, he did say that if the "proper standards and training requirements were met" he would be in favor of CCW. Still haven't got an answer to what he defines as "proper," but if there is a CCW Resolution, and we can confirm that it would be legal for a county to offer permits per county, then I would be more than happy to grab another 10-9 vote in favor in Macon County! :lips sealed:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

With all the excitement over Heller, and over the Chicago rally, I fear the resolution movement is getting less attention. See here what the NRA said lately in one of their alerts:

http://www.nraila.org/GrassrootsAlerts/Rea...iguae@yahoo.com

Regarding Obama's "clinging to guns and religion" remark, I figured gun ownership and church attendance might go hand-in-hand. Turns out that based on NRA's poll, 51% of gun owners attend church zero times a month.

ILLINOIS: Make Your Voice Heard for Gun Rights in Lake County! For more than a year now there has been an effort in Illinois to pass resolutions in support of the Second Amendment at the county level. Although two counties passed resolutions in 2003, the real effort to promote this program began last March, while pro-gun activists were traveling to IGOLD (Illinois Gun Owners' Lobby Day) in Springfield. Currently, 82 of the state's 102 counties have passed resolutions supporting the Second Amendment. In Lake County, there is a petition drive to promote passage of a resolution, which has already collected approximately 3,000 signatures. In light of the recent Supreme Court of the United States ruling that the Second Amendment protects an individual right, many of the 20 remaining counties, including Lake County, should be interested in showing their support of our Right to Keep and Bear Arms. If you wish to help with this effort in Lake County you can sign a petition supporting the passage of a resolution or you can contact members of the Lake County Board and urge them to support passage of a resolution supporting the Second Amendment. For information on petition locations and how to contact the county board, please click here.

Attention Illinois Gun Owners: Please join featured speaker, Dr. Suzanna Hupp, and NRA-ILA Grassroots Division Director, Glen Caroline at "The Second Amendment Freedom Rally" in Chicago on Friday, July 11, 2008! Sponsored by the Illinois State Rifle Association and IllinoisCarry.com, this historic event will allow all law-abiding gun owners to stand together, in the heart of downtown Chicago, and celebrate the landmark U.S. Supreme Court decision formally recognizing the Second Amendment as an individual right!

In response to the Supreme Court's ruling, Governor Blagojevich was quoted as saying; "I want express my extreme disappointment with the decision issued today by the Supreme Court," and, "I am an advocate for common sense gun laws." The Supreme Court says we've been right all along, but Governor Blagojevich thinks he knows better. Come to "The Second Amendment Freedom Rally" and show the anti-gun governor that Illinois gun owners side with the Supreme Court, not him.

The event will be held July 11, from 11:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m., at the James R. Thompson Center, located at 100 W. Randolph Street, in Chicago. For more information, details on transportation, and parking options, please contact the Illinois State Rifle Association at (815) 635-3198, or go to www.ChicagoRally.isra.org. Don't miss this first-of-its-kind rally in the history of Chicago!

With all the excitement over Heller, and over the Chicago rally, I fear the resolution movement is getting less attention. See here what the NRA said lately in one of their alerts:

http://www.nraila.org/GrassrootsAlerts/Rea...iguae@yahoo.com

Regarding Obama's "clinging to guns and religion" remark, I figured gun ownership and church attendance might go hand-in-hand. Turns out that based on NRA's poll, 51% of gun owners attend church zero times a month.

ILLINOIS: Make Your Voice Heard for Gun Rights in Lake County! For more than a year now there has been an effort in Illinois to pass resolutions in support of the Second Amendment at the county level. Although two counties passed resolutions in 2003, the real effort to promote this program began last March, while pro-gun activists were traveling to IGOLD (Illinois Gun Owners' Lobby Day) in Springfield. Currently, 82 of the state's 102 counties have passed resolutions supporting the Second Amendment. In Lake County, there is a petition drive to promote passage of a resolution, which has already collected approximately 3,000 signatures. In light of the recent Supreme Court of the United States ruling that the Second Amendment protects an individual right, many of the 20 remaining counties, including Lake County, should be interested in showing their support of our Right to Keep and Bear Arms. If you wish to help with this effort in Lake County you can sign a petition supporting the passage of a resolution or you can contact members of the Lake County Board and urge them to support passage of a resolution supporting the Second Amendment. For information on petition locations and how to contact the county board, please click here.

Attention Illinois Gun Owners: Please join featured speaker, Dr. Suzanna Hupp, and NRA-ILA Grassroots Division Director, Glen Caroline at "The Second Amendment Freedom Rally" in Chicago on Friday, July 11, 2008! Sponsored by the Illinois State Rifle Association and IllinoisCarry.com, this historic event will allow all law-abiding gun owners to stand together, in the heart of downtown Chicago, and celebrate the landmark U.S. Supreme Court decision formally recognizing the Second Amendment as an individual right!

In response to the Supreme Court's ruling, Governor Blagojevich was quoted as saying; "I want express my extreme disappointment with the decision issued today by the Supreme Court," and, "I am an advocate for common sense gun laws." The Supreme Court says we've been right all along, but Governor Blagojevich thinks he knows better. Come to "The Second Amendment Freedom Rally" and show the anti-gun governor that Illinois gun owners side with the Supreme Court, not him.

The event will be held July 11, from 11:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m., at the James R. Thompson Center, located at 100 W. Randolph Street, in Chicago. For more information, details on transportation, and parking options, please contact the Illinois State Rifle Association at (815) 635-3198, or go to www.ChicagoRally.isra.org. Don't miss this first-of-its-kind rally in the history of Chicago!

:thumbsup:

So after repeated emails and phone calls I have finally made contact with St. Clair County Board Chairman Hubbard. He seems positive, however when he brought this to the board administrator, they told him they see no reason to even look at this. I told him that this is a message to the the State Governement that we has counties want our rights protected and that there are enough gun laws already. He then asked me to send him the resolution and I did. If there are more St. Clair County residents on this board please contact your appropriate board memember.

An email response that I recieved from Mr. Hubbard in reply to an email I sent to him.

Mine First:

Sir,

I would just like to say thank you for returning my call yesterday and for accepting my emails. I do not know you or your stance on the 2nd Amendment, but I do appreciate you taking the time to acknowledge the concerns of a resident of your district. The following website has all the information on it regarding the Pro 2nd Amendment resolution, and as always feel free to contact me if you have any questions.

His Response:

Big time supporter. NRA member and attended the convention when it was in St. Louis

Looks like I contacted the right person.

An update from the St. Clair County board member:

"I discussed it with the Director of Administration and he said it was not necessary because of the Supreme Court ruling. I will send it to the chairman of the board for his consideration, but I do not expect him to act on it. I will try though and keep you informed."

Any thoughts on a response?

An update from the St. Clair County board member:

"I discussed it with the Director of Administration and he said it was not necessary because of the Supreme Court ruling. I will send it to the chairman of the board for his consideration, but I do not expect him to act on it. I will try though and keep you informed."

Any thoughts on a response?

It is nescesary, because the state is still trying to enact anti-gun legislation. The SC ruling is not going to act as some sort of magic wand to make these anti-gun, anti-freedom bills disappear. I would drive that point home to them. The ruling was for DC, not illannoy.

Any word on the progress of the Pro 2A resolution in Boone county?

Early Aug (can't remember the exact date, posted earlier) they have a committee meeting and full board meeting on the same day. I'm told the committee will pass the 2A Res on to the full board, but it isn't a given.

• 2 weeks later...

St. Clair says NO!!!!

From My board representative:

Micah:

We had a county board meeting. Your resolution was not on the agenda. You can take that as a not interested for Chairman Mark Kern.

Craig

I tried!

St. Clair says NO!!!!

From My board representative:

Micah:

We had a county board meeting. Your resolution was not on the agenda. You can take that as a not interested for Chairman Mark Kern.

Craig

I tried!

Don't give up, Flea!

I've been fighting it in Champaign County for almost a year now, with 2 guys preventing it from getting on the Board agenda. We have a very good chance of getting rid of one of those (the Board Chairman) this coming election.

THEN...we'll see!

This from Lake County

08/05/08 Lake County Committee Vote

08/12/08 Lake County Full Board Vote

Lake County Pro 2nd Amendment Resolution Brought to the Lake County Board

Tuesday Augest 12th 2008 at 9:00 am 18 N. County St. 10th Floor, Waukegan IL 60085

Security check at the County Building , metal detectors etc.

Be early 8:30 am

Show your support for the Second Amendment.

Be there we need standing room only.

This from Lake County

Tuesday Augest 12th 2008 at 9:00 am 18 N. County St. 10th Floor, Waukegan IL 60085

We should see about getting Ted Nugent to show up, he has a show in Waukegan that night.

This from Lake County

We should see about getting Ted Nugent to show up, he has a show in Waukegan that night.

If anyone is planning on attending this event, please contact me.

thirdpower@hotmail.com

This from Lake County

Archived