For you fans of the .40 S&W.....

Elderberry

The one caliber I do not have is the .40 and I am looking to correct that. I noticed throughout this ammo shortage people did have .40 and the prices didn't get too stupid like they did for .22's and 9mm -- I don't know why that matters to me since I reload everything I shoot except rim fires but I guess it's just the idea....

So tell me what guns I should look at for a .40 that is in the "easily concealable" size range... What is your .40 and what are it's plus and minus points..??

Thanks for the input....!!!

Well, first off, let me say that the pistol of mine that shoot more than anything else is my Glock 22c. With it being the compensated model, I can double or triple tap without moving much off center. I LOVE my glock, and as of yet have never found another pistol I would rather have. Now, on the concealable side, I don't have much experience with the 40, but I have an SR9C and if I was going to get a concealable 40 (probably my next gun) I would go with either the SR40C (almost identical to the SR9C) or the Glock 27 or 23. I have pretty big hands (I'm 6ft 7in tall) so the 23 would be my first choice probably.

On the Ammo side. I think, at least in my area, 40's were some of the hardest to find on the shelves, BUT, when we did find them, it was normally much less gouging then other calibders.

Glock 27 mine is an early Gen 2 just a little thick and it kicked with good defense loads most smaller .40's will . I replaced the polymer buffer the spring also is captured with a titanium one and put a rubber sleeve ( lamb skin i think ) on the grip. The recoil has been lessened noticeably . The gun is accurate and i never have had any problems with about 3 thousand rounds fired and it eats everything . Lots and lots of parts available and holsters.

Howdy, I have a Kahr k-40, it's smaller than a 1911 & SS. The only limitation is a 7 round mag capacity. It's a pleasure to shoot. It has a 4" barrel. It's ok for a steel gun. I also have a couple of Glock 22's and they're ok for a poly gun. A little stronger kick, but manageable. I also have a SA XDM 3.8 in .40S&W. It is comparable to Glock in recoil, etc. As for my carry, I have a RIA 1911 in 9MM and back-up would be a Colt New Agent, in 9MM also. Just my preference & uses the same mags(not the new agent but the full size mags in both guns. jkrzos

Thanks, folks...!!! This place truly is amazing...

Can someone walk me through a comparison of the M&P Shield vs M&P Compact..?? Why is the msrp on the shield $120 less..?? They look very similar other than external safety, width, mag cap and light rail -- I don't understand the pricing...

The one caliber I do not have is the .40 and I am looking to correct that. I noticed throughout this ammo shortage people did have .40 and the prices didn't get too stupid like they did for .22's and 9mm -- I don't know why that matters to me since I reload everything I shoot except rim fires but I guess it's just the idea....

So tell me what guns I should look at for a .40 that is in the "easily concealable" size range... What is your .40 and what are it's plus and minus points..??

Wow the one caliber you don't have says a lot LOL.

Thanks, folks...!!! This place truly is amazing...

Can someone walk me through a comparison of the M&P Shield vs M&P Compact..?? Why is the msrp on the shield $120 less..?? They look very similar other than external safety, width, mag cap and light rail -- I don't understand the pricing...

The compacts are double stack while the shield is single so its quite a bit thinner. My shield .40 has a 6 round flush mag and a 7 round extended mag while the compacts I believe hold 10. I had a hard time deciding between the compact and shield but I am happy with the smaller shield for cc. That thinner rail makes a huge difference to me.

I'll throw another vote the direction of the XDm 3.8 Compact. The gun shoots incredibly well, recoil is manageable and it's nice having the option of a short grip for concealability and a full size grip for range time by using the Xtensions. Teardown and cleaning is simple and the VERY best part.........it isn't a Glock. :)

post-4960-0-21090400-1370004083_thumb.jpg

Wow the one caliber you don't have says a lot LOL.

I probably could have worded that better -- I don't have them all -- just some of the common ones, but I have never had a ,40 S&W... It would be nice to have them all...!!!

The two .40 caliber pistols I've shot were the Glock 23 and the XD-40. I preferred the Glock over the XD because it felt like a lighter gun but also felt like a lighter recoil too which meant I was more accurate. The XD seemed like the slide was really tough to rack compared to anything else I've shot but maybe I'm a pansy?

That's my two cents.

My two cents...

I have Hi Powers in .40 and 9mm. The frames are identical, the .40 slide assembly works beautifully on the 9mm frame, the 9mm is touchy on the .40 frame due to a different extractor IIRC. The .40 seems to be a bit more accurate, and in this full size metal pistol, there is, to me, little difference in felt recoil.

I also have a 9mm Kel-Tec P11, with a .40 slide kit I can swap on. In this small, light weight plastic pistol, the 9mm configuration is far easier for me to shoot than the .40. Shooting 50 rounds with either is painful. I think I keep the rare .40 kit JIC I need the pistol and 9mm is not available. Th .40 is rarely used.

I am told that the Sig P229 has interchangeable slides... I like this feature, and will likely purchase one when cash flows the way it should. It will be cool to have three different platforms from which I can shoot .40 cal, 9mm and .22 cal.

If you like 1911's get a Springfield armory emp

I am a lifelong 1911 fan. I have a Colt Defender which shoots more accurately than my Cold Commander. I love the platform and the 45 cartridge. But I have to say, based on looks alone, I wish I would have bought the EMP -- they are beautiful...

However, while I once upon a time carried a 1911 cocked & locked, it was open carry and I was a lot younger. I'm not too sure I would want to carry a concealed cocked & locked 1911 at this stage of my life and I am a firm believer that a self defense weapon without a round in the chamber is not a good plan.

My current thinking (for me) is a concealed weapon needs to have one up the snout and a dao trigger -- it needs at least one method of external safety -- trigger, grip, or thumb -- and while I prefer no mag disconnect, having one is not a show stopper....

Having the grip safety as well as the trigger safety was one of the things that sold me on the XDm.

If you aren't in a hurry for a .40 carry gun the XDs is supposed to add a .40 model later this year. I'm holding out for one. :)

If I had to guess that wont come til next year.

Are you talking about the gun or the permit to carry it...???

Sorry -- couldn't resist... :rofl:

Archived