RTC Reciprocity Expansion in KS

SmershAgent

From the NRA-ILA:

Kansas Attorney General Moves to Recognize 'Non-Resident' Carry Permits

Kansas Attorney General Steve Six today concluded that the State of Kansas will now recognize 'non-resident' right-to-carry permits issued by any of the 22 states already recognized.

"NRA has maintained for years that language in the Kansas statute indicates that 'non-resident' right-to-carry permits should be recognized," said Chris W. Cox, NRA chief lobbyist. "This decision is a victory for gun owners as it expands right-to-carry laws and provides permit holders additional freedoms in Kansas to protect themselves and their families."

At NRA's urging, Six re-evaluated the language and determined that the statute indeed supports 'non-resident' permit recognition. The training, safety and proficiency standards and process required by applicable states are equal to or greater than the standards imposed by Kansas, therefore, it is possible to extend recognition. States affected by this allowance include: Arizona, Florida, Minnesota, Nevada, New Jersey, South Carolina and Texas.

"Right-to-carry laws decrease crime and this measure will continue to provide law-abiding people options to protect themselves," concluded Cox. "On behalf of NRA members and gun owners throughout the country, we'd like to thank Kansas Attorney General Steve Six for his support of our Second Amendment freedoms."

I didn't get that memo. Please post the source link so I can share this with other forums.

It was copied directly from my email inbox. I'll look around and see if it's on their website anywhere.

Here you go:

http://www.nraila.org/News/Read/NewsReleases.aspx?ID=12626

Lose NV (concealed), gain KS. Fair trade-off considering NV is open carry friendly including in vehicles.

Id like to repeat the warning that I posted under the topic "Nevada Will NO Longer Recognize Utah and Florida Right-to-Carry permits" just because Nevada is in the "Wild West" there are still places there where open carry may get you hassled. If you want to find out what might happen in if you open carry in Las Vegas go to the forum at www.opencarry.org/nv.html and click on the stories. Open carry in Las Vegas and you may get a "Chicago style welcome" by police, without the arrest. Of course if you are from Chicago this might be good training for what you can expect when Illinois passes right to carry legislation and a LEO finds you carrying.

I wish they'd included Utah in the states they recognize, oh well don't plan on going to Kansas anytime soon.

I find it odd that they recognize permits from Hawaii. They have no training requirements. Of course handgunlaw.us says they don't know of any permits that have been issued for Hawaii, so maybe it's a moot point, or maybe the Kansas Attorney General knows the 2 guys that supposedly have permits.

Lose NV (concealed), gain KS. Fair trade-off considering NV is open carry friendly including in vehicles.

Id like to repeat the warning that I posted under the topic "Nevada Will NO Longer Recognize Utah and Florida Right-to-Carry permits" just because Nevada is in the "Wild West" there are still places there where open carry may get you hassled. If you want to find out what might happen in if you open carry in Las Vegas go to the forum at www.opencarry.org/nv.html and click on the stories. Open carry in Las Vegas and you may get a "Chicago style welcome" by police, without the arrest. Of course if you are from Chicago this might be good training for what you can expect when Illinois passes right to carry legislation and a LEO finds you carrying.

I wish they'd included Utah in the states they recognize, oh well don't plan on going to Kansas anytime soon.

I find it odd that they recognize permits from Hawaii. They have no training requirements. Of course handgunlaw.us says they don't know of any permits that have been issued for Hawaii, so maybe it's a moot point, or maybe the Kansas Attorney General knows the 2 guys that supposedly have permits.

All things being legal you can still get hassled anywhere, anytime, permit or not.

From the NRA-ILA:

Kansas Attorney General Steve Six today concluded that the State of Kansas will now recognize 'non-resident' right-to-carry permits issued by any of the 22 states already recognized.

"NRA has maintained for years that language in the Kansas statute indicates that 'non-resident' right-to-carry permits should be recognized," said Chris W. Cox, NRA chief lobbyist. "This decision is a victory for gun owners as it expands right-to-carry laws and provides permit holders additional freedoms in Kansas to protect themselves and their families."

At NRA's urging, Six re-evaluated the language and determined that the statute indeed supports 'non-resident' permit recognition. The training, safety and proficiency standards and process required by applicable states are equal to or greater than the standards imposed by Kansas, therefore, it is possible to extend recognition. States affected by this allowance include: Arizona, Florida, Minnesota, Nevada, New Jersey, South Carolina and Texas.

"Right-to-carry laws decrease crime and this measure will continue to provide law-abiding people options to protect themselves," concluded Cox. "On behalf of NRA members and gun owners throughout the country, we'd like to thank Kansas Attorney General Steve Six for his support of our Second Amendment freedoms."

I assume this is the reason for not recognizing Utah....based on the above highlighted sentence.

From the NRA-ILA:

I assume this is the reason for not recognizing Utah....based on the above highlighted sentence.

So why are they recognizing Hawaii?

There has been ONE Hawaii CCW permit issued....it was to the Police Department Armorer.

this was abit of suprise to me. i called kansas concealed dept a few days before i left for colorado and ask them if what the criteria is on the ccw that i might be travling through there state.he said unloaded encased anywhere in the car .so i asked him is there any bill in the process that might change in the future where i can carry it on me .he said not that he knew of now this happened :angry: well that one state that will reconise my ccw permit ,all thats left now is michigan colorado that still dont reconise non resident floirida permit.

From the NRA-ILA:

So why are they recognizing Hawaii?

Guess its just typical bureaucratic legislation.

The silly thing about the Utah issue with KS is that this last year, while teaching Utah CCW classes, I had 3 different students ask me to sign something indicating that they had attended the class, all because they said Florida accepted the Utah course as meeting their training requirements. I never checked on that, but it seemed legit at the time.

:frantics:

The silly thing about the Utah issue with KS is that this last year, while teaching Utah CCW classes, I had 3 different students ask me to sign something indicating that they had attended the class, all because they said Florida accepted the Utah course as meeting their training requirements. I never checked on that, but it seemed legit at the time.

:frantics:

Yes FL will accept it as long as the FL live fire requirement is met.

NRA basic pistol, DD214 are both pass the live fire requirement.

FL must have changed their requirements. When I got my first FL permit in 2003 the Illinois hunter safety program was all you needed to qualify. There was no live fire requirement.

For the most part most courses of training do include live fire of some shape or form (hunter safety probably the exception in most states). When you send in proof of completion of a course, FL does not check out each one to make sure it meets a live fire requirement. If you are using it for your application the course is assumed to contain live fire or it would not qualify for submission.

:thumbsup:

Yes FL will accept it as long as the FL live fire requirement is met.

NRA basic pistol, DD214 are both pass the live fire requirement.

Well, Utah has no live fire requirement, so something is off there in Florida.

Well, Utah has no live fire requirement, so something is off there in Florida.

Kansas does recognize Florida permits, not Utah.

http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/kansas.pdf

Yeah, that's my point. FL is accepting the Utah course as the training requirement for their permit, and Utah has no shooting requirement.

I'm not saying anything about how that relates to KS.

When My wife and I took the Utah class in2005 the course was good for Utah, Missouri and Florida. The course was by a Utah certified instructor who included IIRC 50 rounds of live fire, split 50% each revolver and semi-auto. This was all listed on the certificate and my wife used this for Florida and Utah. I used it for Utah since I allready had the Florida by way of my DD-214. Jim.

When My wife and I took the Utah class in2005 the course was good for Utah, Missouri and Florida. The course was by a Utah certified instructor who included IIRC 50 rounds of live fire, split 50% each revolver and semi-auto. This was all listed on the certificate and my wife used this for Florida and Utah. I used it for Utah since I allready had the Florida by way of my DD-214. Jim.

Thas fine, but Utah DOES NOT REQUIRE shooting as part of their permit class, so there is no way for Florida to know what kind of Utah course anyone takes.

Thas fine, but Utah DOES NOT REQUIRE shooting as part of their permit class, so there is no way for Florida to know what kind of Utah course anyone takes.

Ssshhhh.... Florida probably won't accept an "Eddie Eagle" certificate but they might! I do believe Florida will accept an NRA Hunters Safety class. I presume those do not have a shooting requirement. Perhaps there is an assumption that all hunters are proficient with all firearms. I haven't found where FL actually says it requires live fire in a training course, only the successful completion of a course is required. Documentation of having participated in a firearms competition is qualification enough, without a formal class. Please let me know if I have missed it. Until then, Ssshhh....

From FL website:

1. A photocopy of a certificate of completion of any of the courses or classes listed below. Do not send your original certificate because it cannot be returned.

2. A copy of any document which shows completion of the course or class or evidences participation in firearms competition;

3. (a longer list than copied below)

• Completion of any hunter education or hunter safety course approved by the Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission or a similar agency of another state;

• Completion of any National Rifle Association firearms safety or training course;

• Completion of any firearms training or safety course or class conducted by a state-certified or National Rifle Association-certified firearms instructor.

Ssshhhh.... Florida probably won't accept an "Eddie Eagle" certificate but they might! I do believe Florida will accept an NRA Hunters Safety class. I presume those do not have a shooting requirement. Perhaps there is an assumption that all hunters are proficient with all firearms. I haven't found where FL actually says it requires live fire in a training course, only the successful completion of a course is required. Documentation of having participated in a firearms competition is qualification enough, without a formal class. Please let me know if I have missed it. Until then, Ssshhh....

From FL website:

1. A photocopy of a certificate of completion of any of the courses or classes listed below. Do not send your original certificate because it cannot be returned.

2. A copy of any document which shows completion of the course or class or evidences participation in firearms competition;

3. (a longer list than copied below)

• Completion of any hunter education or hunter safety course approved by the Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission or a similar agency of another state;

• Completion of any National Rifle Association firearms safety or training course;

• Completion of any firearms training or safety course or class conducted by a state-certified or National Rifle Association-certified firearms instructor.

And tying that back with KS and Utah, Utah permit holders could be BETTER TRAINED than many Florida permit holders, lol.

Archived