This girl needs help!

Sam12

Stay clear of 380 if you plan to carry this defensively. If you haven't tried one, give the Walther PPS in 9mm a try. Mod 1 (paddle mag release) or Mod 2 (button release). Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

+1 on the Mod2. I have one, and my wife (reasonably petite but bigger than you) has pretty much "appropriated" it. The long mags for it will hold 8 rounds per. A strong word of caution though: the magazines between the PPS Mod1 and Mod2 are NOT interchangeable.

Bri

Sam12 - all of the semi-automatic pistols mentioned are quality firearms. What you did not mention however, was your approximate age and any physical limitations. I as specifically as about 15 years ago, I had to help an elderly female relative develop her shooting skills. One of the guns I had her try was my then 30 yr. old .380 and, while she could shoot it well, she no longer had the strength to pull the slide back, regardless of the method tried.

After searching an assortment of guns at several local gun stores (and a couple not so "local"), we found a used 5-shot Ruger SP-101 in .38 Special that she was able to handle quite well.

While I have that .380 for CC (if & when I get an Ill. permit), I also have a 4" Ruger GP-100 in .357 Magnum that I prefer. I also reload for both of our guns as well as a couple of others of mine (.380 & .243).

If you don't have any limitations, go with the pistols. If you want something essentially "fool-proof", try a small revolver. Even a 5-shot one has enough rounds, if "Elevate" is correct about that "2.54 shots" in Post #9.

Good luck and Welcome to Illinois Carry. :D

• 2 months later...

Oddly enough, I have small hands for a guy who's 6'2" and I carry a P320 subcompact with a medium grip frame. Personally, I love it. As does my girlfriend when she shoots it, and she has tiny hands. Only issue I have is overpriced floor plates with pinky extensions.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

If your comfortable with your mod2. Id look at the 3" version.

I personally disliked the xds. For me it wasn't comfortable. My lady friend wanted to shoot it and she hated it worse than me. I have small ish hands and she has way smaller hands than I do. I'm going to have her try a walther pps next time we go to the range.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I had a 45 ACP XDs that I really wanted to love. I'm one of the few that actually would prefer to have a grip safety hooked to a firing pin block (as opposed to those silly little "Glock-style" safeties) when it comes to making a firearm drop safe. Unfortunately, whatever they did to it at the factory during the recall completely screwed up the trigger. Between that at the waffle-iron grip, I just ended out being unable to cope.

The ergonomics on the PPS M2 are MUCH nicer than the XDs (and work MUCH better for those of us that have tiny hands). The molded hand grip and the lightness of the trigger make it a joy to shoot. Yes, it's gonna be snappy due to its size. Once I get to the point where I can go to the range again, I'm going to try some 124 gr (or heavier) bullets to see if they really do reduce recoil the way I'd heard.

Sam, you made a good choice in a quality firearm. I know it's gonna be hard to do in Illinois, but the big thing now is to find excuses to go to the range as frequently as you can.

Good luck!

Bri

A lot of good suggestions above, I have 2 small pistols: 1) M&P Bodyguard .380 (6+1); and 2) Sig P290RS 9MM (6+1 or 8+1). Both are small, DAO, hammer fired and great carry options. Because they are both DAO they take some practise to get used to, but both are very accurate at 21 feet.

Here is a link to a website that will allow you to compare various pistol sizes.

PocketPistols.jpg

Be cautious of the ammo you chose to carry in your PPS. The feed ramp is very steep and has two sections with a split in between. The "Flex Tip" insert on Critical Defense would rub the steep feed ramp and stop the round from loading. I switched to Speer Gold Dot which has been working perfectly.

The PPS M2 has a more natural grip angle than the Shield. My wife and I both agree on this but both of us like the ergonomics of the Wather CCP better. The CCP standard 8 round magazines are nicer than the goofy extended mags you get on the PPS and Shield. Unfortunately we have found the CCP to be unreliable. It had a horrible tendency to stovepipe. I sent it back to Walther for this issue and they claimed it was better (they replaced the ejector and shot 24 rounds without an issue) but on the first magazine I shot when I got it back, I had another stovepipe. The delayed blowback design claims lower recoil and it is certainly easier to rack with the light recoil spring. I really wish this gun worked well because it would be the perfect single stack EDC. The only complaint I would have would be the aggressive stippling that chafed my back when I carried without an undershirt and needing a tool to disassmble.

My wife carries the Shield because prefers the manual safety and the stiffer trigger pull. I carry the PPS M2. I prefer the lack of manual safety and that it takes no tools or special steps to disassemble it. The Shield needs a screwdriver or such to move the sear deactivation lever down.

post-17485-0-73305600-1500829089_thumb.jpg

Speer actually makes a Gold Dot variant that is specifically designed for short barreled sidearms. That's what I use in my PPS M2 and have never had an issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I also carry the short barrel gold dots 9mm 124 +p. I have to look around but found a place called able ammo that has them at a descent price point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Archived