US Government Sues L3 Communications for Fraud

capnbill

Could be some good deals on EOTech.

US Government Sues L3 Communications for Fraud Involving EOTech Sights

http://soldiersystems.net/2015/11/24/us-government-sues-l3-communications-for-fraud-involving-eotech-sights/

We can finally tell you the rest of the story regarding L3 Communications’ EOTech Sights. The Department of Justice has been investigating EOTech for some time and has finally filed suit (US v. L-3 Communications EOTech Inc., 15-cv-09262) in US District Court, Southern District of New York (Manhattan).

Specifically, the Government’s allegations concentrate on the performance of the Holographic Weapon Sights at temperature extremes as well as in high moisture environments. The Government also claims that EOTEch failed to disclose testing that demonstrated the inaccuracy issues in those environments.

In addition to naming L-3 and EOTech as defendants in the Government’s suit, they also named EOTech’s president, Paul Mangano which isn’t very common. They are seeking unspecified triple damages plus civil penalties of as much as $11,000 for each fraudulent claim.

L-3 has been aware of the pending action, having mentioned the issue in their July 2015 SEC filing as well as setting aside $26 million.

Wow!

I would claim that I'm shocked, but I honestly haven't really put my Eotech through conditions other than extreme cold. It has worked fine but I obviously don't put my stuff through the ringer like our armed forces would.

This wouldn't dissuade me from buying another though.

Sometimes the government's requirements are a bit out there. "We need it to do X, Y, and Z even though there are no logical circumstances that suggest they're ever need to do those three".

Who uses these in our government? From what I know, our special ops members can choose to use Eotech's, swat teams, alphabet agency assault teams, etc. Aside from the spec ops guys, are those other groups going to subject these sights to those extreme situations? Maybe the DEA operating in the jungles of South America. Other than them, probably no one else. But if the company did lie about the testing, then they should be on the hook for that.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived