Current FOID wait times...

SCARLETfrost

Hello all...I'm a new poster that just recently (last few months) became acutely aware of the need to safeguard my second amendment rights.

I apologize if there is already a thread on this topic...I could not easily find one...and I know that there are others who would probably find this info helpful.

I've applied to get my FOID, so that I may purchase a firearm for home security and for sport (at my local range)...but I'm now on day 32 since the check was cashed (40 since the application was mailed).

I called the ISP yesterday to check on the status of my application and after 40 some odd dialing attempts I finally got through. I was then, however, put on hold for nearly 70 minutes.

When I finally got to speak with someone she told me that they were still waiting on the results of my background check and that I would have an answer in 7-10 business days.

If that is true, and my case is normal, you are looking at between 39-42 days turn around.

I've heard horror stories of folks not getting theirs for 57 or more days, so I'm thankful (hopeful) that mine won't take that long. Does that sound normal to everyone else? Anyone else waiting for theirs?

Now that that is out of the way, what the heck can be done to speed up this process or at the very least hold those responsible for the lawful 30 Day

turnaround accountable?

Now that that is out of the way, what the heck can be done to speed up this process or at the very least hold those responsible for the lawful 30 Day

turnaround accountable?

Help us to get rid of the Statue that requires having an FOID.

Identify who your State Rep and State senator are and send them a letter (works best) or an email (not so much) and tell them of your concerns and ask then to support the concealed carry bill (HB 148) and urge them to eliminate the FOID.

And welcome to the fight

Welcome to the site! Do you know if they cashed your check already?

The law says 30 days. Call your IL State Senator and complain - someone may be along here in a few to assist, but I agree that its unacceptable. If you were in possession of a firearm or ammo for 10 days after your foid expired, you'd be going to jail.

@pyre400 - Yes, check was cashed Oct 21st.

To expand on what I've already posted - Where I'm from in Iowa, my dad said he recently walked into and out of the sheriffs office with his permit within 10 minutes of application. That it takes IL more than a few days is absurd.

I have been reading different gun forums (this one especially) for well over three months now and I didn't actually believe that this would be such a process. I tried to be patient and wait for it to come. But now that its gone past 30 days, it actually feels like the system is set up to keep you from exercising your rights as an American and Illinoisan.

1.) The 30 days is silly - what is even worse is that there isn't anyone keeping this government agency in check and they are allowed to continuously violate the law. Sad really.

2.) Poor customer service - c'mon really, get a phone system that accepts ALL calls, even if it is a recording at least you don't have to continuously hit redial OVER AND OVER for hours. AND THEN, when we finally hear the phone ring (after hours of getting a busy signal), at least have staff enough available to cut the "on-hold" time down to something tolerable (I'd even take 20-30 minutes over the nearly 70 I spent)

3.) When it finally comes and I finally get to go to the store/dealer I'll have to wait 24 to 72 MORE HOURS on top of the month+ I've already waited. Preposterous.

All this to be able to enjoy a right that I already have. Wow, do we have it backwards here in IL or what?

Welcome to the site! Do you know if they cashed your check already?

The law says 30 days. Call your IL State Senator and complain - someone may be along here in a few to assist, but I agree that its unacceptable. If you were in possession of a firearm or ammo for 10 days after your foid expired, you'd be going to jail.

@pyre400 - Yes, check was cashed Oct 21st.

To expand on what I've already posted - Where I'm from in Iowa, my dad said he recently walked into and out of the sheriffs office with his permit within 10 minutes of application. That it takes IL more than a few days is absurd.

I have been reading different gun forums (this one especially) for well over three months now and I didn't actually believe that this would be such a process. I tried to be patient and wait for it to come. But now that its gone past 30 days, it actually feels like the system is set up to keep you from exercising your rights as an American and Illinoisan.

1.) The 30 days is silly - what is even worse is that there isn't anyone keeping this government agency in check and they are allowed to continuously violate the law. Sad really.

2.) Poor customer service - c'mon really, get a phone system that accepts ALL calls, even if it is a recording at least you don't have to continuously hit redial OVER AND OVER for hours. AND THEN, when we finally hear the phone ring (after hours of getting a busy signal), at least have staff enough available to cut the "on-hold" time down to something tolerable (I'd even take 20-30 minutes over the nearly 70 I spent)

3.) When it finally comes and I finally get to go to the store/dealer I'll have to wait 24 to 72 MORE HOURS on top of the month+ I've already waited. Preposterous.

All this to be able to enjoy a right that I already have. Wow, do we have it backwards here in IL or what?

Preachin' to the choir sir, preachin' to the choir.

Having said that, get on the phone, call your state Senator or Representative. If you need help identifying them, just ask, or PM me your home address. Tell your elected official just what you've told us here, date check was cashed, talk with ISP, etc. Ask the official to intervene on your behalf, as it has been well past the 30 days mandated by law. Usually, after a legislator is contacted, the card is in your hand in 7 days or less.

What part of our fine state are you in??

AB

@abolt243

In regards to my choir preaching - I know - its just nice to vent.

I'm in Peoria.

The gal I finally talked to at the ISP was nice enough, I'm sure she deals with some really upset folks on a daily basis. She told me that it'd be here in 7-10 days. If it isn't I'll be contacting my state Senator/Rep.

@Buzzard

Good luck!

I have never had a renewal wait problem! But I never had one lost in the mail....

My old mail carrier retired a few years ago and since then we've experience lost items regularly. We get at least one piece of mail addressed to another house every week. I've even gotten one from a different zip code, if you can believe that. :(

@abolt243

In regards to my choir preaching - I know - its just nice to vent.

I'm in Peoria.

The gal I finally talked to at the ISP was nice enough, I'm sure she deals with some really upset folks on a daily basis. She told me that it'd be here in 7-10 days. If it isn't I'll be contacting my state Senator/Rep.

@Buzzard

Good luck!

Scarlet,

Yes, venting is a good thing!! We all need that on occasion.

Yes, they have some nice people answering the phones. Unfortunately, they don't have the clout of a State Senator. If you're in the city proper, your Senator is probably Koehler. Call him, get his help. Trust us, we've done this a time or two.

AB

I have never had a renewal wait problem! But I never had one lost in the mail....

My old mail carrier retired a few years ago and since then we've experience lost items regularly. We get at least one piece of mail addressed to another house every week. I've even gotten one from a different zip code, if you can believe that. :(

I once had the local post office RETURN my FOID card as UNDELIVERABLE because the ISP envelope didn't have my po box number! The ISP then suspended my old card. I found out when I went to pick up a gun I had purchased and the phone check gigged me.

My rep Tryon, is "looking into" a FOIA request I got that shown the foid system operating at 1 millinon a year loss.

Adam Andrzejewski also has a copy of the request as well as Todd.

Many others have sent letters to their reps as well with good replys back.

I will post a copy of the foia information here as well.

Have at it..

foia.pdf

I sent my renewal out April 12th. And on June 6th I still hadn't received my FOID so I called Illinois State Police.

I did check my bank account and they cashed my $10.00 check for the processing fee on April 20.

The ISRA site gave me a warning that there would be a message telling me that if I hadn't waited 56 days then I should call back when 56 days have elapsed. Actually the canned answering message says that if I had not waited 57 days.. then I should call back when 57 days have elapsed. I was also told that I would have a 19minute wait time to speak to a representative.

After 19 minutes I did speak with a live person, she told me that since 68 days had not elapsed I should call back in the future. I said "wait a minute, you mean 57 days right? She said no - that the current processing time for a FOID was running 68 days, and she also told me that they hadn't received my application until May 3rd.

I said "Wait a minute - I have a bank statement that shows that you cashed my check on April 20th" to which she replied "Our department, the department that actually processes the FOID, didn't receive your application until May 3rd. She strongly hinted that the 68 day timer only started on May 3rd .

It took me almost 4 months just to renew my FOID from the time I mailed the application to the time I received the card.

Do what abolt243 recommends. Contact your state Senator! If they get enough complaints, we have a chance to get this stupidity fixed!

Totally. It serves as encouragement for your state Rep or Senator to work for our side. They know if you're calling their office, and they do something for you, that you are more likely to vote for them. It's simple math. My daughter's FOID took too long, about 8 or 9 weeks, and then I contacted Patty Bellock. Great support from her and her office. My daughter had her FOID within 1 week, just as Patricia Bellock's staff promised us. And later, Patrica Bellock voted for HB148. Coincidence? No.

Call yer Rep or Senator. (Some won't care, but others can be influenced).

http://www.ilga.gov/house/rep.asp?MemberID=892

If you want it done really fast go to a large gun shop or range where they take the picture, do the application and send it in themselves. They usually send them in groups and they do a certified letter with a signature. It cost me $5 more to do it this way but I had my FOID renewal in 26 days and I gave myself a 50 day window until mine expired just in case.

When I lived in New Jersey it took 9 months, thats right NINE to recieve my FID card.

After the first 45 days which is the law in NJ,I spoke with an NRA lawyer and his advice was "wait em out".

Anything to do with firearms in anti 2nd amendment states are considered bottom of the food chain.

So I agree with the good folks advice here on this sight, write your reps, call, email and keep at it, while your waiting.

For the most part, calling the ISP will get you nowhere........

I filled out my application form online and mailed it in following the instructions and received my card in 3 weeks. I guess I got lucky. Perhaps things are more jacked up than usual due to hunting season? I know I can barely get to the counter of my local gun shop as of late...

It can vary depending upon how common one's name is and if something shows up in the background check that is of concern. They have to isolate it down to make sure it isn't someone with a similar name. There are at least 5 or 6 people in Chicago with my same first/last name combination. I provided the last four of my social security number to help trim down the hits.

Well - I called Senator Koehler's office just a minute ago and left a pretty detailed message and my phone number.

Asked if he could please help move something along, told him that I wanted to let him know that the process was taking longer than intended, and that I thanked him for his support of concealed carry initiatives.

Left my name and phone number. We'll see if anything good happens.

When Koehler campaigning he actually went door-to-door to meet constituents...first time I'd encountered that in nearly 8 years of living here. I got to talk with him about a number of different topics (guns was not one of them at the time) - but I got the feeling that he was going to Springfield for the right reasons - even though he had a (D) after his name.

My fingers are crossed.

If you want it done really fast go to a large gun shop or range where they take the picture, do the application and send it in themselves. They usually send them in groups and they do a certified letter with a signature. It cost me $5 more to do it this way but I had my FOID renewal in 26 days and I gave myself a 50 day window until mine expired just in case.

Sometimes that helps, depends on how many they get . Many times, they'll wait until they have several before mailing them in. I just renewed, mailed it in "certified mail, receipt requested" cost $5.65 for postage and I got a card back showing a signature verifying reciept of the app. Had my card in 3 weeks.

The law is a waste of time and serves no purpose in reducing crime. However, it is the law and we must abide by it. So, make sure the state abides by their side too.

So I just received a call from Senator Koehler's office - one of his staff has told me that he'll try to get through to the ISP yet today and that he will follow up with me on Monday.

Feeling much better about my situation now - thanks for the advice (and nudge) to call him up.

I'll keep you posted on my progress.

Happy TurkeyDay Eve!

So I just received a call from Senator Koehler's office - one of his staff has told me that he'll try to get through to the ISP yet today and that he will follow up with me on Monday.

Feeling much better about my situation now - thanks for the advice (and nudge) to call him up.

Happy TurkeyDay Eve!

Good job!! I'm sure I don't have to tell you, but when you have your FOID in hand, it's always nice to make a follow up call to the office and report to them with a big thank you!!

Keep us in the loop.

AB

Happy TurkeyDay Eve!

Good job!! I'm sure I don't have to tell you, but when you have your FOID in hand, it's always nice to make a follow up call to the office and report to them with a big thank you!!

Keep us in the loop.

AB

i ended up calling my state rep...magically after he talked to them it was sent out that day

i ended up calling my state rep...magically after he talked to them it was sent out that day

Yeah, amazing ain't it??!!

That's why I campaign so hard to get guys to call on the 31st day. Then the elected official knows that the ISP has delayed the issuance, they know how many times it happens and they realize that all of this has no effect on bad guys carrying guns.

Someday, when we go after the FOID, all of that might make a difference in a vote or two.

AB

Yeah, amazing ain't it??!!

That's why I campaign so hard to get guys to call on the 31st day. Then the elected official knows that the ISP has delayed the issuance, they know how many times it happens and they realize that all of this has no effect on bad guys carrying guns.

Someday, when we go after the FOID, all of that might make a difference in a vote or two.

AB

I tried to hop on here yesterday to give an update but couldn't get my iPad to connect for some reason...

...anyhow, I received my FOID in the mail Friday afternoon. Not sure if Senator Koehler's office got through on Wed. or if my original call to the ISP did it...I suppose it could have just taken them an extra week to get it out.

Either way...I'm glad I called...both the ISP and my State legislator. Thanks for the advice.

We will call this wait time 36 days.

Now to get concealed carry rights restored in Illinois.

Archived