Chicago registration time and cost reports

Beezil

One trip to CPD headquarters for paperwork.

"training" cost me 100 bucks and 5 hours on a saturday, plus gas and mileage....

subsequent "live fire" cost me 20 additional dollars in range fees, and I burned through about 50 worth of ammo. the 36 mile drive to dundee and back probably burned 6 gals of gas and consumed 5 hours on a sunday.

back to cpd headquarters for fingerprinting, submitting paperwork, and writting a 100-dollar check to da mare. It was a busy day that day, so it probably took 1.5-2 hours there-and-back.

9 pieces of paperwork (7 renewals 2 new) with approximately 28 information fields that you have to complete TWICE, plus 4 or 5 questions pertaining to "illegal" characteristcs and 11 or so more info fields on the back. For me, that was nearly 639 individual informational fields that I hand-wrote. It took about 3 hours.....I think.

I will be contacting a lawyer and will sue the city for carpal tunnel syndrome.

Back to headquarters with a photocopy of my pathetic CFP and to submit my individual gun forms......now 15 bucks EACH instead of 25 for my whole collection....another check to hizzoner for 135 bucks.

so that's 405 dollars in real costs.

Its hard to put a price on my own time, but for the sake of conversation, a reasonalble amount like 30 bucks an hour, That's 480 bucks worth of my valuable time away from family, work and friends to mess around with this....

add a bit for gas and mileage and the grand total for this is about 900 dollars and about 18 hours.

It's totally outrageous.

Add FOID associated costs and FFL related costs to the list. You have already incurred those costs as well.

One trip to CPD headquarters for paperwork.

"training" cost me 100 bucks and 5 hours on a saturday, plus gas and mileage....

subsequent "live fire" cost me 20 additional dollars in range fees, and I burned through about 50 worth of ammo. the 36 mile drive to dundee and back probably burned 6 gals of gas and consumed 5 hours on a sunday.

back to cpd headquarters for fingerprinting, submitting paperwork, and writting a 100-dollar check to da mare. It was a busy day that day, so it probably took 1.5-2 hours there-and-back.

9 pieces of paperwork (7 renewals 2 new) with approximately 28 information fields that you have to complete TWICE, plus 4 or 5 questions pertaining to "illegal" characteristcs and 11 or so more info fields on the back. For me, that was nearly 639 individual informational fields that I hand-wrote. It took about 3 hours.....I think.

I will be contacting a lawyer and will sue the city for carpal tunnel syndrome.

Back to headquarters with a photocopy of my pathetic CFP and to submit my individual gun forms......now 15 bucks EACH instead of 25 for my whole collection....another check to hizzoner for 135 bucks.

so that's 405 dollars in real costs.

Its hard to put a price on my own time, but for the sake of conversation, a reasonalble amount like 30 bucks an hour, That's 480 bucks worth of my valuable time away from family, work and friends to mess around with this....

add a bit for gas and mileage and the grand total for this is about 900 dollars and about 18 hours.

It's totally outrageous.

Your second trip to Police HQ was voluntary as the registrations can be mailed in.

For me so far $100 to Midwest Guns for the class (included range use and 50 rounds of of 38 Special ammo)and $9 to Walgreens for the two passport photos.

I don't count my 'free time' cuz it's free - lol

It will 'cost' me however much personal time I need to take from work to be able to go to Police HQ on scenic Michigan Ave.

Then of course the Benjamin to Chicago and $15 per gun (about a dozen) = $180

So....$100+9+100+180 = $389 for a free RIGHT.

Sheesh and double-sheesh!

I dunno about youse guys and gals, but it sure don't seem "right' what you gotta do to use a Right?

I am not glad to hear about all these costs, hassles, and hoops.

But I am happy about one thing. That Chicago gun owners openly resent having to do all this crap just to exercise a right. That's a good thing ... because it's people like you who will challenge these onerous restrictions.

And all that simply to keep the damned things in your OWN HOME!

CFPs arrived today and the wife and I our driving down to submit the registrations for our pistols. I'm going to mail in the rest of my registrations after I print them out.

How did it go?

Had to argue a bit with the guy running the desk today. He wasn't totally conversant with the new rules and regulations. But then, who is?

So why are you guys going along with this? Why not just ignore it until Chitcago gets sued into oblivion again and loses its 2A infringements?

I truly believe that a majority of law abiding Chicago gun owners of good nature will not go through the entire process at all and will simply keep their handguns quietly. Those who registered a long gun prior to the ban will either have to suck it up, get rid of the long gun, or take it outside the city. Of course, an anti-gunner would argue that such citizens would not be "law abiding" if they didn't go through the process and still kept their guns within the city limits. It is actually Dick Daley and his cronies who are not law abiding as they are seriously violating the United States Constitution.

So why are you guys going along with this? Why not just ignore it until Chitcago gets sued into oblivion again and loses its 2A infringements?

Because I have too much to lose, to risk having this sort of violation on my record. You do what is right for you and your family. I will do what is right for mine.

...so many times I read posts by gun owners explaining how permits and mandatory training are a good thing.

I am pretty sure that doing above on this board would result in a permanent ban :cheer:

:cheer:

I've been here a few years, and I've read many posts by those who have no problem with the concept of carry permits and manditory training. Finger prints, photos, background checks - it's all good and proper when it comes to a "right." :)

I've been here a few years, and I've read many posts by those who have no problem with the concept of carry permits and manditory training. Finger prints, photos, background checks - it's all good and proper when it comes to a "right." :cheer:

Sorry, but I can't help it. What's the purpose of that comment?

There has to be a "purpose?"

You don't live in Chicago do you?

easy to say something like that when YOU aren't susceptible to the harsh penalties for violation of the unconstitutional ordinance.

I've always been on the right side of the law, and I decided that's where I wanted to be with this thing.

I HATE HATE HATE this.

I hate the FOID. I hate the registration. I hate the fact that the dozens and dozens of hours of training I've had to date didn't qualify me for the ridiculous CFD. I hate the fees (TAXES) placed on me for exercising my constitutional right. I hate the infringement.

I would also HATE to be arrested and fined. I couldn't afford an ordeal that would cost me FIVE figures. I would hate being a hypocrite. We talk all the time on this forum about how we "law abiding citizens" conduct ourselves. I could no longer include myself with such distinction.

Believe me, I considered civil disobedience as an option, but its not in my nature to do so.

I will continue to fight for my 2A right by supporting our efforts here, as well as the ISRA, GOA, NRA, SAF, and by participating in 2A activities. I will support pro-2a candidates.

And I will VOTE.

Not yet, but I may end up there. Here's a little story.

My dad is the most responsible person I've ever met. He's an old school, by the book, debt-averse, live within your means, "close the door so we aren't air conditioning the neighborhood", "we don't need that" kind of guy. Anything with a due date is done well in advance, with copies made and filed away for years. I can call him up 3 weeks into January and mentioned I've already done my taxes, and his were done the week before.

He doesn't discuss politics, doesn't see a point in civil disobedience, has busted his a** his entire life, isn't counting on seeing a dime from social security, and responds to watching half his paycheck disappear by accepting it with a grin-and-bear-it shrug.

But about a year ago, he moved to New Jersey. There he found he needed a permit (and fee) for our dog, a permit (and fee) to "register" our ALARM SYSTEM with the town, and a permit (and fee), along with letters from community members vouching for his character over the past 6 months or whatever for his rifles. So basically anyone moving to New Jersey has to not only get permission for his guns, but is also a criminal for the first 6 months, and has to ask his new neighbors to vouch for his rifles.

His response was to shake his head and say "Forget it. I'm not bothering and if they really want to track me down, let them come after me." He's about the most apolitical, non-boat-rocking type out there, and the last time I visited he brought up how tired he is of turning on the TV and hearing politicians (Washington and DC) declare that he's the enemy, not paying his "fair share" (ie everything), and the reason the economy tanked.

If it's finally getting to him, I can only hope the real silent majority is waking up. I'm hoping the 50-75 million people who pay for everything and see nothing for it are finally starting to think this way, whether it comes to guns, taxes, handouts, or government power grabs.

Not yet, but I may end up there. Here's a little story.

My dad is the most responsible person I've ever met. He's an old school, by the book, debt-averse, live within your means, "close the door so we aren't air conditioning the neighborhood", "we don't need that" kind of guy. Anything with a due date is done well in advance, with copies made and filed away for years. I can call him up 3 weeks into January and mentioned I've already done my taxes, and his were done the week before.

He doesn't discuss politics, doesn't see a point in civil disobedience, has busted his a** his entire life, isn't counting on seeing a dime from social security, and responds to watching half his paycheck disappear by accepting it with a grin-and-bear-it shrug.

But about a year ago, he moved to New Jersey. There he found he needed a permit (and fee) for our dog, a permit (and fee) to "register" our ALARM SYSTEM with the town, and a permit (and fee), along with letters from community members vouching for his character over the past 6 months or whatever for his rifles. So basically anyone moving to New Jersey has to not only get permission for his guns, but is also a criminal for the first 6 months, and has to ask his new neighbors to vouch for his rifles.

His response was to shake his head and say "Forget it. I'm not bothering and if they really want to track me down, let them come after me." He's about the most apolitical, non-boat-rocking type out there, and the last time I visited he brought up how tired he is of turning on the TV and hearing politicians (Washington and DC) declare that he's the enemy, not paying his "fair share" (ie everything), and the reason the economy tanked.

If it's finally getting to him, I can only hope the real silent majority is waking up. I'm hoping the 50-75 million people who pay for everything and see nothing for it are finally starting to think this way, whether it comes to guns, taxes, handouts, or government power grabs.

I hear what you are saying.

Much respect for your father. He represents a generation that knows work and responsibility the newer generations seem to have forgotten about.

so please don't take this the wrong way, but.....

I personally don't think the "forget it, I'm not bothering" attitude helps our cause. not at all. It enables an autocracy like we have in chicago to perpetuate.

What I am hoping is that this absurd post-mcdonald ordinance pokes people out of their slumber and apathy and enrages a new spirit.

... What I am hoping is that this absurd post-mcdonald ordinance pokes people out of their slumber and apathy and enrages a new spirit.

There is a new spirit... Same as the old. Chicagoans are routinely ignoring this new City Ordinance just as they ignored the one it replaced. Aside from the political activists(:-)who are complying to make a point, I have not met any Chicago gun owners who think the CFP and new registration scheme are worth the bother. Most think the risk of being discovered is extremely low.

There is room for both sides.

... What I am hoping is that this absurd post-mcdonald ordinance pokes people out of their slumber and apathy and enrages a new spirit.

There is a new spirit... Same as the old. Chicagoans are routinely ignoring this new City Ordinance just as they ignored the one it replaced. Aside from the political activists(:-)who are complying to make a point, I have not met any Chicago gun owners who think the CFP and new registration scheme are worth the bother. Most think the risk of being discovered is extremely low.

I guess the rest of us can wish for a favorable outcome from Benson Vs. Chicago!

I think those choosing to wait are taking a risk. I expect the City to prosecute scofflaws to the maximum extent possible given that they've been forced to comply against their will.

Note that the 'maximum extent possible' has been greatly increased in the new ordinance.

I think those choosing to wait are taking a risk. I expect the City to prosecute scofflaws to the maximum extent possible given that they've been forced to comply against their will.

Note that the 'maximum extent possible' has been greatly increased in the new ordinance.

Yes. There us a risk. I can't imagine the risk is any greater than the pre-McDonald risk. This is what most gun owners live by. Unless things have drastically changed, odds are that no one will ever know. The Cjty has no money for enforcement nor to field a proper police force.

The smart money rides on full compliance. There are, however, many more who will not comply. Their choice. Their risk.

Via, thetruthaboutguns.com:

http://cbs2chicago.com/local/firefighter.arrested.gun.2.1868510.html

Going to be very interesting to see how this man's legal case plays out. Hopefully someone here can see the transcripts or something.

Archived