FOID Renewal First...

Hello everyone, I'm new to the forum and just have a few questions. I first received my first FOID card a little over 10 years ago to which I purchased several handguns shortly after. I was/am more of a hobbyist/collector. I would go to the range once or twice a week for a while and even joined a few gun clubs, forums etc. I then got into motorcycles and sort of lost interest for a while in firearms. I went on to individually & legally of course sell off all of my handguns. H&K, Sig, Glock, Walther all gone.

Well now a little over 10 years later, was bored on day off from work and stopped in at my local gun store. I quickly realized that my FOID is probably expired by now as I don't remember seeing it for a while. I asked if I could renew my FOID. Got application, casually filled it out with my sloppy handwriting. Went to the counter and paid cash (don't remember exactly how much, think maybe $20). They took my photo and told me it will probably take anywhere from 2 to 4 months with the way things are looking this time of year.

That was November 7th, 2014. A few weeks go by and I'm slowly but surely getting the gun collector bug again. You know how it is, the feeling when something feels new to you again and you sort of want to completely immerse yourself into it. I even started ordering gun cleaning supplies, range gear, bags, etc.

So almost a month goes by and out of curiosity I decided to call Illinois State Police to merely check if they received my application. Spoke with gentleman, he look me up by DL# couldn't find me yet. Told me they're little behind and to check back in a week or so. Couple weeks later, check in still not in system.

Now I start thinking of my sloppy handwriting and the fact that I paid cash and I can't find receipt. Called gun shop, explained situation, they told me its still way too early. Said it takes at least 3 months to get FOID back.

Bare in mind that my record is crystal clean and I'm the son of a retired Chicago Police Officer. I have no priors, absolutely nothing on my record. I have no history of mental illness. The worst thing on my record was going 30 over on a 35 mph zone speeding ticket which I took care of.

With that being said, I'm not concerned that I won't receive my FOID cause I know I eventually will. Its more that I want to make sure that they received it so I know its being processed. My concern is that something on my application cannot be made out due to my sloppy handwriting and I'm eventually going to receive notice that I have to resubmit everything and start the process all over again.

My question to you guys is at what point should they have me at least in their system by when processing my FOID application?

I paid and filled out my application at gun shop November 7th. (I believe that was a Thursday) Paid cash. Cant find receipt. Last I called ISPD a week ago and they told me I'm not yet in system and I should be by now.

Is this normal?

OP, something to consider: I've heard that when you fill out FOID forms at a retailer, they don't send them in all at once. I believe they might hold it for as long as a week or two, until they have enough to send in at once. So, that might add some additional time to your scenario that you hadn't counted on.

Moral of the story: always pay via check when sending in FOID app/renewal.

Really no reason to pay someone to mail in a form for you.

The form is available as a pdf online, you can just type in everything and print it out, voila, no handwriting issues.

Who doesn't have access to a digital camera these days to be able to take a photo?

Or maybe you got screwed by the people you paid to put a piece of paper in an envelope. I did three for family members just a couple months ago, all came back in less than 30 days.

They've been getting the FOID cards out faster - 30-45 days is more like the normal. If it hasn't shown up in the system by Jan. 7, I would consider that a problem.

So if I resubmit/resend application on my own this time and for some reason my original application some how gets around to being processed, would the 2nd application interfere with the first one? My problem is that I don't have a receipt and since I submitted through gun shop and paid cash, have no way of checking when check was cleared.

The gun shop told me they would check if their check was cleared only when it gets around to three month point. I was also told by ISPD just as someone mentioned here, just because you paid/submitted application at gun shop November 7th, doesn't mean it would be sent out that day.

Really no reason to pay someone to mail in a form for you.

The form is available as a pdf online, you can just type in everything and print it out, voila, no handwriting issues.

Who doesn't have access to a digital camera these days to be able to take a photo?

Or maybe you got screwed by the people you paid to put a piece of paper in an envelope. I did three for family members just a couple months ago, all came back in less than 30 days.

Wow, this makes no sense. I wonder could it be cause I inquired on status more than once that this would cause red flag and further delay process? I'm thinking if I'm not at least in their system by january 8th of simply resubmitting application on my own this time.

The gun shop told me they would check if their check was cleared only when it gets around to three month point. I was also told by ISPD just as someone mentioned here, just because you paid/submitted application at gun shop November 7th, doesn't mean it would be sent out that day.

It should be very easy for the gun shop to check their bank statement and tell if the check was cashed. There is no longer any need to wait three months. The gun shop should check this for you. Wait until Jan. 7th and if they will not check it for you, please send me a PM with the name of the shop.

OP, something to consider: I've heard that when you fill out FOID forms at a retailer, they don't send them in all at once. I believe they might hold it for as long as a week or two, until they have enough to send in at once. So, that might add some additional time to your scenario that you hadn't counted on.

Moral of the story: always pay via check when sending in FOID app/renewal.

Yup, depending on where you go, they mail them out in batches and I've heard stories of stores waiting a month or more to mail out a pile of FOID apps. I went to a mom and pop type LGS/bait & tackle joint for my FOID app, picture and app sent to ISP for $7, was all about the convenience and nominal fee. Ironically the owner closed up and went to work behind the gun counter at Bass Pro in E. Peoria.