Walgreens will take your photo for FOID applications

Buzzard

Just FYI:

Walgreens will take your photo for FOID applications and also for passports. I found this out when I went to Staples to get my brand new Pennsylvania CCW permit laminated. I was asked where my photo was, and I told the girl it wasn't needed. She said "Walgreens does real nice photos the correct size for FOID cards and passports."

I paused for a moment and decided to check into it, since Walgreens was just two stores away. They took my photo and developed four pictures that required just minor trimming to fit the PA permit for $2.99. Not a bad deal, really. I then skipped back into Staples and they made me a reduced and laminated PA CCW permit card with my picture for a few bucks more.

I need to do that with my PA LTCF. That's good to know

I walked into Walgreens, the gal took my picture and told me to come back in a half hour. So within an hour, I had my picture taken and my PA LTCF reduced and laminated for under ten bucks. It was worth that to me in time saving.

I scanned my PA permit, added my photo digitally, reduced it, and then printed it on photo paper. I then took it to office max to get laminated. I kept the original, but I like the wallet sized one that has my picture on it.

Did the same thing for my foid renewal, except I used a cell phone pic (without my wife in it), cropped, printed, and affixed it to the application. They sent me my new FOID in 11 days with the pic I had on my drivers license.

Hey guys, help me out. I just got PA permits for me and the new bride and nowhere was there a mention of a photo requirement. In fact, on the face of the permit, it said "VALID WITHOUT PHOTO" or something to that effect.

Did I miss something?

John

Na....you didn't miss nuthin'. Some folks think you need a "CCW Badge" too. I'm not so sure that technically speaking, "mutilating or defacing" the PA LTCH with the addition of a photo might not invalidate it. Thankfully, the folks in PA don't seem to be too picky.

Geez, guys. The damn thing says "valid without photo"! Take them at their word and be thankful that some things are still relatively simple!!

Hey guys, help me out. I just got PA permits for me and the new bride and nowhere was there a mention of a photo requirement. In fact, on the face of the permit, it said "VALID WITHOUT PHOTO" or something to that effect.

Did I miss something?

John

Na....you didn't miss nuthin'. Some folks think you need a "CCW Badge" too. I'm not so sure that technically speaking, "mutilating or defacing" the PA LTCH with the addition of a photo might not invalidate it. Thankfully, the folks in PA don't seem to be too picky.

Geez, guys. The damn thing says "valid without photo"! Take them at their word and be thankful that some things are still relatively simple!!

Yep, ya need one of these to go with the reduced, laminated, photo added PA permit

post-999-12759660609.jpg

Did I miss something?

John

Yea, it says "valid without photo". And it doesn't say invalid with photo. So I'd say we're OK either way. I initially was going to have it reduced and laminated without a photo. I then decided to go the Walgreens route and add the photo. I did have copies made and I still have the unaltered originals so...

And as far as following Pennsylvania's permit directions...I first sent in my permit application with only what Pennsylvania requested. They didn't ask for Illinois residents to send a copy of the FOID in their directions or on the application. So I didn't send it. It came back with a note attached saying "need a copy of your FOID." This miffed me a bit. Why should I need to furnish a FOID to get a PA permit? The PA permit wasn't going to be honored in Illinois anyway.

Just FYI:

They took my photo and developed four pictures that required just minor trimming to fit the PA permit for $2.99.

That's a VERY good deal! My local Walgreens charges $9 for 2 pictures! <_<

And as far as following Pennsylvania's permit directions...I first sent in my permit application with only what Pennsylvania requested. They didn't ask for Illinois residents to send a copy of the FOID in their directions or on the application. So I didn't send it. It came back with a note attached saying "need a copy of your FOID." This miffed me a bit. Why should I need to furnish a FOID to get a PA permit? The PA permit wasn't going to be honored in Illinois anyway.

Honestly...for as quick as the turn around is...I don't think the PA sheriff actually does any kind of background check. I think they just take the "word" of the home state issuer. :D

It doesn't take but a minute or three to look someone up on the old computer.

I seem to recall that years ago, you needed to send PA a picture. Anyone with first-hand experience there.

And yes, my new wife LOVES packing heat.

John

They didn't ask for a picture, but they got one when they asked for the FOID copy upon returning the application. I didn't want to get snippy with the Sheriff, but since they were now asking for things not included in their instructions - I also sent them a copy of my newly aquired NRA Personal Protection Training certificate.

Congratulations on getting married, John!

It doesn't take but a minute or three to look someone up on the old computer.

I seem to recall that years ago, you needed to send PA a picture. Anyone with first-hand experience there.

And yes, my new wife LOVES packing heat.

John

True....and for that reason everybody who is eligible for a carry permit should be issued one on the spot...there is absolutely no reason for a "waiting" period to investigate. There are some sheriffs here in PA that do issue that way, while others push the 45 day limit.

Don't have and never did have a PA permit, but this thread caused me to check current/expired permits:

Florida, Connecticut, Maine, and Virginia, all require pics.

New Hampshire does not.

I've kept only FL and NH permits active. No need for the others anymore.

Interesting that all except Maine state, one way or another, that each is a permit to carry a handgun.

Maine states, "Non-Resident permit to carry concealed firearms".

FWIW.

Archived