IGOLD Live Feed

Slappy

LAST UPDATE: 4:30pm

Slappy here sitting in the prestigious Abraham Lincoln Hotel looking out at the window at the less prestigious and somewhat shorter Stephen Douglas Hotel in our illustrious capitol of Springfield anxiously awaiting Wednesday.

So after speaking at length with Molly B. and realizing that I have a really portable laptop with a Verizon wireless card, we decided that I should setup and do my best to live blog the entire day here in this thread!

I will be posting updates here throughout the day and will do my best to update it at least every half hour to hour.

I am also a marshall for IGOLD but we'll see if we can get both done!

I will post to this first post the updates (unless it gets too unwieldy) and bump it when I can. I will also answer questions if I can so post away! (update: im parked at the table now so if there is questions, im here monitoring IGOLD and IC constantly and will answer questions until the speeches start.)

Here we are people! I look forward to meeting so many of you and marching on the capital.

We will defend our constitution for everyone. A right not excersized is a right lost and lets never forget that!

Slappy

P.S. Sorry in advance for spelling and/or grammar errors but this will all be on the fly! :headbang1:

P.P.S. Anyone at the event i'm in front of the stage to the left at the table. the big guy with the laptop. if you have any information, please come see me and i'll make sure to report it. We're trying to get a complete record of the events here. you can also PM me for my cell# and then txt me.

Picture site: pics

------------------------------------------------------------

Updates:

6:30am -Just woke up. Last night was great. Had dinner with: Mr. and Molly B, Big Chris, Pohlms1, DonGwinn, Federal Farmer, Mrs. Farmer and various friends and relatives. We unloaded Mike Weismann's van and others. With all the packets, flyers, shirts, hats etc we have, we should definitely have a big crowd! Getting excited for the day!

We are getting together for breakfast at 7:30am at the hotel to go over the day. Will check in soon!

----------------------

9:15am - We are setting up in the convention center and have the shirts, hats etc all ready to go! There have already been a few people show up but we are awaiting the buses. There was a report that the joliet bus had broken down and a backup bus did get to our people so they are on the way though may be a tad late.

Also the Rosemont bus was delayed due to the media being there and people were giving interviews though they are on their way now as well.

The convention people were nice enough to set me up with a table by the stage so I'll be there covering the speeches in real time, reporting on points each speaker makes and posting it all here once he or she is done so make sure to check back!

It going to be a great day!

-----------------------------

10:45am Update on the buses. Apparently the eta for some of the chicago area buses is now 12:30pm! Ive been told 3 buses...

We had the first marshall meeting with Tom Shafer and those that are here are now getting assignments.

people are already filtering in and there is about a hundred people not related to logistics here already! I can see a good many shirts and hats have already been sold.

Also the speaker order may be switched up a bit.

thats it for now. im now setup at the table and will be writing here with greater frequency.

----------------------------

10:55am I've just been informed that 3-4 buses of COUNTER protesters to our rally are on their way from Chicago.

We've been given strict instructions not to engage them which is probably a very good idea... lol..

-------------------------------

11:00am Below is the list of speakers for IGOLD. Order subject to change:

Mike Weisman - welcomes and introduces Mr. Pearson

Mr. Pearson introduces Joe Tartaro

Joe Tartaro speaks

Mr. Pearson to present plaque to Brandon Phelps

Brandon Phelps speaks

Richard Pearson speaks again and introduces Todd Vandermyde

Todd Vandermyde speaks

Frank Wright speaks

Valinda Speaks

Tom Shafer speaks gives instructions to crowd for march.

I will make changes on the fly as speeches are being given but thats it so far!

---------------------------

11:15am

Looks like 2-300 here already with more coming in.

trying to get more info on the counter protesters.

--------------------------

11:25am

We cannot confirm that Jesse Jackson in the leader of the anti protest. No one here has that information.

We are almost half an hour away and there are still plenty of seats here. It doesnt seem that any of the buses have shown up yet...

will keep updating.

11:45am

We have a possible confirmation that it IS Jesse's group from an ISRA higher up. Not sure yet.

Will be getting a few pics thanks to Big Chris. Will post in thread, not first post.

11:50

Some buses have arrived! Finding out where they are from and will update this post in the feed. Probably not Chicago unless the driver was Al Unser Jr.

We have to be around 600+ (or much more if I'm counting wrong) now with more and more coming in!!!

I'm also seeing IGOLD sponsor hats quite a bit now!

-----------------------------------

11:55am

We've had requests for everyone to move up to make room for those incoming!

here we go... i will start posting events as speakers come and go...

-------------------------------------

11:58am

The Concealed Carry Chicks just came on stage and are leading the crowds in chants.

-----------------------------------

12pm

Here we go with the speeches... despite the buses we are starting

Weisman just led us in the pledge and is speaking.

-we are from all over and we all want simple protection

-most of us belong to various organizations, including clubs and isra.

-the spirit of community is great. this is what we have when we work together.

-IC plug about how IGOLD started

-ISRA has effective lobby in springfield

-Lobby day itself is personal to mikew. He was an individual taking power by being a single voter using the system.

-every one of us is an activist today. it will be busy.

done

Most Buses are here.. 1500 or so people here i think

Pearson speaking - points:

-Thank you gun lobby!!!

-make sure to be in St Louis for the gun policy event next week

-introduce Joe Tartato

Tartaro speaking points:

-lets hear it for the gun lobby

-thanks everyone as well as orgs ISRA, NRA etc

-2A foundation is heavily involved in gun rights fights

-victory over feinstein handgun ban in San Francisco lead to a recent ruling there.

-their pursuit against DC ban lead to Heller which confirmed what we were taught and believe despite a few judges.

-research of people like Lott and other academics have proven ccw works. the "conventional wisdom" of the antis is wrong.

-for years conventional wisdom in chicago, dc, ny claimed 2A was only for militias and this was proven wrong.

-the 2a foundation and ISRA were preparing to challenge chicago as heller was going on. they filed against the city and then the NRA did it right after heller.

-the district court first sought to combine them then didn't which helped move the cases up the legal line to appeals.

-we expect a trip to SCOTUS.

- www.chicagoguncase.com is the source for info on this.

-5 amicus briefs have been filed to reverse decision and extend heller to all 50 states. apply heller in IL.

-amicus briefs by unusual orgs normally not associated with 2a. heller began a transformation of constitutional landscape. has liberals working with NRA and other orgs.

-1 amicus was 69 state legislators.

-Its a major challenge to the chicago conventional wisdom of gun banning.

-the protection of basic rights and passage of pro 2a is more complex than most imagine. requires grassroots work and legislative work. not just demonstrations, letters to editors, it is a combination of all these methods to bring 2a to light

-Ohio example given. some lawmakers for 2a, others are not. when governor vetoed ccw, the people elected a new pro 2a gov.

-in Wi veto override has failed... both times by one vote.

-in 40 states the ccw laws are excellent. violent crime is down.

-IL should be the next state to have this

-we have pressure on the court and voices of the people. we will make good arguments to our legislatures.

-the dark ages of anti gun is coming to an end.

-god bless and good luck

Pearson presents Brandon Phelps with plaque. 2008 legislator of the year award.

he introduced HB 2257

Phelps points:

-you will never see me waver

-here we are again... same old same old anti gunners

-million dollar insurance policy is a joke. all the current anti bills are a joke

-48 other states CANNOT be wrong

-we are behind the time

-chicago lets catch up. we are not the wild west. we are at the mercy of the criminals.

-im with you. foid card is bad. CCW card should be our foid card

-this is our war.

-owning a gun is not a privilege. its a right.

Todd Vandermyde point:

-we are tip of spear in the fight this year

-some legislators think constitution is doormat to wipe our feet on

-a partisan vote killed the bill last night.

-Its your job to remind these officials of their duty.

-its your job to tell chicago

-speaking about the various bills in play now. liability, one gun a month, contradictions to heller, homes with children and guns

-heller was specific... you cannot force someone to lock up their gun in their own home.

-what part of "shall not be infringed" dont they get?

-heller was crystal clear. 2a is on par with 1a or 4a.

-force is the only thing they will understand. the force of the rally, the force of voting, the force of freedoms brigades.

-they fired the first shot, and we're going to finish it.

-talk to everyone you know about this. we need to build these freedom brigades so we can dictate policy to them and not vice versa.

-if we elect a super majority they cannot deny us our rights.

-is it amazing that a majority of these counties believe in ccw? if thats not an endorsement, i dont know what is.

-we got heller and we are going for another SCOTUS decision in chicago.

-its the bill of rights, not the bill of needs.

-organize your neighbors and your block. its not republican or dem... its us

standing ovation and cheers

Pearson more points:

-Jesse has come down. we need ot be careful. a smiling gun owner is not what they want to see so lets all smile

Frank Wright points:

-hopefully this will keep growing

-critical mission now more than ever.

-happy group of non victims here.

-we are representing all gun owners everywhere.

-we must be seen to be calm and rational as we are.

-be polite

-are we changing minds today? possibly.

-we can have 10,000 behaving people and 1 person act out and the media will paint us all as that one.

-keep your message simple and on point. have 1-3 points you want to convey.

-dont forget to thank our supporters.

-this is an around the clock issue. make sure nothing passes without your voice being heard.

-influence as many as you can to pro gun.

-educate yourself

-support lobby and orgs

Valinda points:

-anti legislatures asked why they changed their vote: when the women from their district came to their office urging for right they couldnt look them in the eye and say no.

-today the women of IL are going to challenge IL to look them in the eye and say no.

-in addition to calling on the legislators, the women here are going to call on the governor

-women will leave the march today

-we will present gov with our letters. hopefully he will see us. a special plaque illustrating the weapons the ISP says we should use. (LOL)

-every time the gov sees the plague he will realize we are defenseless against danger

-consider what is about to happen. this is what American freedom is all about.

-the peaceable assembly of the people, the right to address our government.

-the blood of patriots run deep here.

-lets go down in history

standing ovation

Tom Shafer points

-not we few, we many

-bless your hearts everyone

-instructions on how to enter capital and parade routes.

-talking logistics

-illinois has turned a page. we march into history today

-more logistics of parade route

-today is our day. who cares about jesse

-every day should IGOLD. get active. write speech, lobby, run for office

-more logistics of capitol building.

-reception at 4pm is at convention center and not the restaurant as previously reported

-the IL I remember gave birth to regan. gave birth to heston. lincoln was raised in IL. they are marching with us in spirit.

-more logistics

-dont ever give the antis your rights

-ill be proud to march with you anywhere anytime...

end of speeches...

will update after march..

---------------------

1:45pm

I'm standing on the steps of the capitol building as I type this.

The march went very well. We filled all 5 blocks from the turn to the capitol and the media was present throughout the entire thing.

No sign of counter protesters.

Valinda spoke at the capitol as did the president of the isra, Mrs Federal Farmer, mike weisman and others.

Acorrding to packet count we had over 5,100 people here!!!!! so i think it was a great success.

will check in in a bit but all is well and people are eagerly waiting to get inside the building to talk to their reps!!!

-------------------

1:55pm

just got a report that WGN in chicago hat 2 spots for IGOLD of the buses leaving from rosemont!

if anyone know of any local media, let me know!

----------------

3:05pm

well it looks like everyone got a chance to get into the capitol building and try and see their reps. We got some reports of reps not being there, though those were mostly the liberal reps from what I understand.

One sad note though, one of our brothers in arms took a head first dive down 5 concrete steps at the capitol and was hurt relatively badly. He is in stable condition and we were immediately able to call 911 and the capitol police were on the scene in seconds.

All I know is that he is a 77 year old man from Urbana who came down to lobby with us and see his reps. Lets all wish him well! He was awake and lucid when the ambulance took him away.

Other than that everything has gone smoothly and we are all migrating back to the convention for the 4pm reception.

Will check in then!

-----------------

4:40pm

This will be my last post for the feed.

At the reception in the convention center.

Thirdpower is going to post the photos etc to his blog and update us with links. I will post these here in the evening or morning at some point.

a few hundred stuck around to mingle and get some food.

it was a fun and long day.

IGOLD next year is March 10th and SAFR is June 11th (I think). Hope to see you all there!

Slappy out.

Slappy here sitting in the prestigious Abraham Lincoln Hotel looking out at the window at the less prestigious and somewhat shorter Stephen Douglas Hotel in our illustrious capital of Springfield anxiously awaiting Wednesday.

So after speaking at length with Molly B. and realizing that I have a really portable laptop with a verizon wireless card, we decided that I should setup and do my best to live blog the entire day here in this thread!

I will be posting updates here throughout the day and will do my best to update it at least every half hour to hour.

I am also a marshall for IGOLD but we'll see if we can get both done!

I will post to this first post the updates (unless it gets to unwieldy) and bump it when I can. I will also answer questions if I can so post away!

Here we are people! I look forward to meeting so many of you and marching on the capital.

We will defend our constitution for everyone. A right not excersized is a right lost and lets never forget that!

Slappy

I'll be posting updates throughout the day on twitter as well.

my screen name is "jkopecky"

Cameron Gray for NRA News will be there tomorrow and his twitter is "nranews"

Ok...I'm a dork!

I'll be posting updates throughout the day on twitter as well.

my screen name is "jkopecky"

Cameron Gray for NRA News will be there tomorrow and his twitter is "nranews"

Ok...I'm a dork!

WOW! Even I wouldn't do twitter... lol... just kidding... the more the merrier! I'll do my best to get it all but its going to be controlled chaos I'm sure!!!

I will be twittering as well. name: GunsOfChiburbia

(I have a blog too, but no posts as of yet)

I can also bring a laptop with aircard if need be, but I wonder about it being an anchor as I will be coming via bus.

I kinda wanted to bring it to sign people up for the illinoiscarry legislative alerts...

If we have a table I might allow it to rest in responsible hands during the day to sign people up... It IS my lifeline though, so I myself am not sure if I could leave it...

Mornin' Slappy and friends in S'field!

GSL meeting last neet was huge, even had 2 people from KY! Talk was all IGOLD, other than the guest speaker, an Army Sgt from Champaign who had been one of the Honor Guard at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier at Arlington Nat'l Cemetery for 4 yrs!!! Great speaker, long standing ovation. (Wore his dress uniform!)

Lookin' forward to seein' ya.

Stay warm!

Morning all. Getting ready to head south on I-55 in a few minutes.

Couple of notes this a.m.

Started the morning with WGN news showing a news conference by King Richard. An anti-gun news conference of course.

WGN did do a short story also on IGOLD. Already more Chicago media coverage than we had last year.

See ya'll after a horseshoe...if I can move. :headbang1:

Dave

Any estimates on attendance?

the expectation is still 5,000 and we have reports from media outlets around the state that we may hit this!!! :headbang1:

If this news of a few buses of "counter-protesters" is true ... it will seriously increase the chances of media coverage.

Awesome!

I heard Jesse is on his way down!

Any estimates on attendance?

the expectation is still 5,000 and we have reports from media outlets around the state that we may hit this!!! :headbang1:

If this news of a few buses of "counter-protesters" is true ... it will seriously increase the chances of media coverage.

Awesome!

thats the feeling here. Tom Shafer was adamant about keeping people in line around the counters for obvious reasons but it shouldnt be an issue. we will have something like 40ish marshalls.

Can you confirm this? I'm going to try...

I can't confirm it. A friend of mine said the black talk radio station he listens to said he was on his way to the capitol today.

If he is coming, they'll probably show him and the 12 people with him, and not the 5,000 of us.

Can you confirm this? I'm going to try...

I can't confirm it. A friend of mine said the black talk radio station he listens to said he was on his way to the capital today.

If he is coming, they'll probably show him and the 12 people with him, and not the 5,000 of us.

According to Tom Shafer there are 3-4 buses coming from the chicagoland area. Trying to confirm with Valinda and some others. will post to first post when I know...

Gun control legislation will not solve complex social problems.

Ignore Rev. Jesse Jackson. His star is faded.

He is trying to regain his past glory and notoriety. He is looking for a fight, any fight, to get the giddy press to focus on him. He is confused, mixing apples and oranges, since the peaceful citizens who have the "right to keep and bear arms" are not the same people who are inflicting fear and death in Chicago.

Thank you Slappy for keeping those of us unable to attend informed. While not there in body , my spirit is .

If the anti's do show up , be careful around them. They have , in the past , been known to bump into the other side and then claim they were assaulted!! :Angry!: I wouldn't put anything past them to try and make us look bad.

Archived