Appealing CCL Review Board Denial

Molly B.

I'm on a roll:

Has anyone who did NOT file a administrative review in time, after denial, get a call from ISP or the AG offering them the same Do Over that they are trying to get everyone to agree to now? If ISP thinks the new rules eliminate all those "final decisions" and that everyone has to be remanded, aren't they only calling the people that had their @#$% together in time to file for a administrative review? They should be calling everyone, even those that missed deadline to appeal!

Today I just logged on to the CCL ISP site and there was a message for me to respond to the Review Board Request. The Review board stated word for word what the Police Officer said to block my CCL. This was all based upon me protecting a woman from police harassment as a PI four years ago. I contacted my attorney and he is upset that it's not an "in person" defense. I am drafting my response and my lawyer will add information and we will respond via the ISP portal. Wish me luck.

Jim

Today I just logged on to the CCL ISP site and there was a message for me to respond to the Review Board Request. The Review board stated word for word what the Police Officer said to block my CCL. This was all based upon me protecting a woman from police harassment as a PI four years ago. I contacted my attorney and he is upset that it's not an "in person" defense. I am drafting my response and my lawyer will add information and we will respond via the ISP portal. Wish me luck.

Jim

I really doubt that the review board has ever met face to face.

Their work is all done electronically.

IF YOU ARE UNDER BOARD REVIEW... PLEASE LOG INTO THE ISP PORTAL AND CHECK YOUR STATUS ASAP!

Apparently the only way the board is communicating is via the portal.

Yesterday I logged in and it was business as usual.

Today, at the bottom of the box that gives the details of your license I have this message.

"Please satisfy the following request for information from the board:"

Date of request Request Details

9/16/2014 3:19:32 The Oak Lawn Police Department submitted an objection stating that officer's responded to an attempt suicide call involving the subject.

PM

And at the end of that, there's a "reply" button.

What the hey!!! IS THIS!? I was not contacted in any other form! My cell phone is always on and next to me. My E-mail is linked to my cell and work computer (Which I check hourly for work)

Aside from the fact that if I didn't log in daily, I'd have absolutely NO clue they responded, how the heck do I respond to this!?

IF YOU ARE UNDER BOARD REVIEW... PLEASE LOG INTO THE ISP PORTAL AND CHECK YOUR STATUS ASAP!

Apparently the only way the board is communicating is via the portal.

Yesterday I logged in and it was business as usual.

Today, at the bottom of the box that gives the details of your license I have this message.

"Please satisfy the following request for information from the board:"

Date of request Request Details

9/16/2014 3:19:32 The Oak Lawn Police Department submitted an objection stating that officer's responded to an attempt suicide call involving the subject.

PM

And at the end of that, there's a "reply" button.

What the hey!!! IS THIS!? I was not contacted in any other form! My cell phone is always on and next to me. My E-mail is linked to my cell and work computer (Which I check hourly for work)

Aside from the fact that if I didn't log in daily, I'd have absolutely NO clue they responded, how the heck do I respond to this!?

Most log in 5 times a day, so that won't be a problem.

I working with one guy that recorded his letter 5 days after the date it was printed. Tick tock, tick tock.

I did tell him it is business days that count towards his response, but that still is not fair.

Cnwfan3: I do have a lawyer. thnx for the support! I spoke w/the aag and she was nice enough to tell me (cuz leagally she should only speak to my lawyer) that now that i have been remanded the ag office has nothing to do w/the case any longer and it is soley in the the hand of the cclrb. after speaking to my lawyer i was told that im now waiting on either them to grant the ccl or deny me again in which i then can present my evidence to why my ccl should be granted. honestly even w/my lawyer im kinda at a loss for which way is up because everyone i speak to seems to have different answers.... so i'll continue to wait i guess.

LOL

i logged in yesterday and as luck would have it, the Chicago police department objected because of a false police report that was filed on me 3 years ago....

I even went into the station to sort it out (knowing i didnt do anything wrong) and they didnt arrest me for the report against me, because the officers knew it was a non bona fide incident.....

BUT it still came back to bite me in the a**....

Cnwfan3: I do have a lawyer. thnx for the support! I spoke w/the aag and she was nice enough to tell me (cuz leagally she should only speak to my lawyer) that now that i have been remanded the ag office has nothing to do w/the case any longer and it is soley in the the hand of the cclrb. after speaking to my lawyer i was told that im now waiting on either them to grant the ccl or deny me again in which i then can present my evidence to why my ccl should be granted. honestly even w/my lawyer im kinda at a loss for which way is up because everyone i speak to seems to have different answers.... so i'll continue to wait i guess.

Wow, that really sucks!! My lawyer worked the deal out right a day before the emergency rules came out so I was not remanded. I guess I was fortunate that I got it taken care of before all of the remands. I hope the boards quickly sees that it was mistaken identity and grants you license quickly. I know how frustrating it is to be on the wrong end of mistaken identity. Good luck!!

I obtained the police report in which was the basis for my denial. It is now painfully obvious that the board either didn't have access to the actual report or just didn't read it. The report clearly indicates that no action was taken and no recourse followed. (Even goes as far to discredit the accuser for me!) Either way, this makes me feel better about my case. I have a rough draft of my response but am still unsure if there is a specific format I need to follow. Can anyone weigh in on that?

Furthermore, I will be submitting a copy of the police report as part of my response so that in the unlikely event that I am denied a second time, it can now be considered by the judge in the administrative review proceedings.

Has anyone filed their response? Is there a way to upload a PDF or JPEG file? My response was drafted in Microsoft word and is a word doc. I do not even know if that's able to be uploaded. Anybody? Bueller?

I obtained the police report in which was the basis for my denial. It is now painfully obvious that the board either didn't have access to the actual report or just didn't read it. The report clearly indicates that no action was taken and no recourse followed. (Even goes as far to discredit the accuser for me!)

My money is on "They did not read it". It seem with most of these cases, the report is very clear and how the board could misinterpret it is beyond me. In my case, the order of protection was issued to someone with a different name, and different address and city. When I got it and looked at it I was amazed how they could have upheld the objection. I think they are simply taking the objecting LE at their word that this is the correct person and what they say happened actually did. Shame on the board for not doing their due dilligance. I think they finally got burned and that is what all the remands are about. This time, I think they will look at the reports and the actual facts. I think in the end, you will be approved.

CNWFAN3 - I couldn't agree more. The sergeant I spoke with this morning at the local PD gave me the run down on how they handle the process and it sounds like they go far beyond a simple name search to ensure the correct information is being sent to the review board. However, I suspect this is not the same format for all of Illinois police departments.

I'm just glad this police report can now be submitted on my end as part of evidence to prove that officers at the time didn't deem me a threat to myself nor others. Not to mention it somewhat discredits my accuser :) It's encouraging to say the least.

My money is on "They did not read it". It seem with most of these cases, the report is very clear and how the board could misinterpret it is beyond me. In my case, the order of protection was issued to someone with a different name, and different address and city. When I got it and looked at it I was amazed how they could have upheld the objection. I think they are simply taking the objecting LE at their word that this is the correct person and what they say happened actually did. Shame on the board for not doing their due dilligance. I think they finally got burned and that is what all the remands are about. This time, I think they will look at the reports and the actual facts. I think in the end, you will be approved.

Ditto, except that I am dubious that the CCLRB will be particularly discerning in the future.

One could hear the confusion in my judge's voice as he asked the AAG about the contents of the record. He repeatedly asked, in a somewhat incredulous tone, whether the CCLRB knew that I had a valid FOID, that I was otherwise qualified, that an FBI background check showed no criminal history, and that the CCLRB had a copy of my application and my qualifying answers thereto as part of the record. The AAG was forced to admit that all of that was part of the record before the CCLRB.

Upon determining that all of that was, in fact, before the CCLRB, the Court found that even taking the basis for the objection (a police report) entirely at face value, that the determination of dangerousness was both against the manifest weight of the evidence and clearly erroneous.

Of course, fat lot of good a court ruling has done so far. Paper suitable for burning.

Well, I just submitted my response. I attached two .pdf files. One being a 1 paragraph response to the allegation, and the second being the actual police report. In the response area, I wrote: I have attached 2 .pdf files as my response to the concealed carry license review boards request. If there are any issues viewing the .pdf files, please contact me by my cell phone at xxx-xxx-xxxx or email xxxxx@yahoo.com. Thank you.

After clicking the submit button, a screen popped up alerting me that my response was saved. Now the application status screen is back to under board review and looks as it did originally. Back to the waiting game for me.

The white screen that popped up for me allowed me to upload files AND type a response. I uploaded a PDF file of my written response as well as a PDF file of a copy of the police report they used to deny me. In the text box I basically said if there's any trouble opening the PDF files to contact me via phone or email.

Don't waste your time with lawyers. There all full of sh**! I spent 2000 to have him tell me some Bull crap that after 3 court dates I can continue wasting money on him or have it remanded back to the communist cclrb ! And give them a second bite of the apple as he but it ! Are you Fkn ! Kidding me ! And what other Fkn information could I possible send the cclrb they have it all right there in front of them read it you stupid Fs! And send me my license ! Unreal !

Sysco70, We all feel your pain – Hate this runaround they give us – everyone to be remanded, but you must response in 10 days and they get to wait as long as they want – I have gone from denied to Appeal under review, then to under board review, back to Appeal under review and again to under board review – so following this pattern (afraid of going back to denied) – I was denied because false accusations – They stated that I was arrested back in 1989 for possession of a firearm (I was never arrested and did not own a firearm in 1989) – I asked them to compare my FOID photo to whatever mug shot they have and compare my TCN fingerprints to that arrest as well. I hope they clear this ASAP and give me my license – I am doing my appeal without a lawyer - good luck to you and all of us.

Glock23 - it is my official you have 10 days to respond.

Japonte - This letter states that the CCLRB has 30 days to issue a decision from the date they receive the requested information.

I'm kind of p***** off that I didn't know this letter is coming. It says you have 10 days from the date of this letter. I'm guessing that means the post marked date which is the 19th on mine. I was under the impression I had 10 days from the date they requested more information from you online, which for me was last week. I am not all that upset though as I would still recommend everyone respond ASAP when they find out the board has requested the information just to hopefully not run into an expired clock.

As far as the attorney thing goes, I am still pro se and hopeful that I can get this resolved on my own. But if you've paid an attorney to represent you, I'd think you could have them draft your response to the CCLRB.

Archived