Alaskan Guide Chest Holster

Chitownshooterz

Ordered myself a handmade Alaskan guide chest holster from Diamond D Custom Leather. See attached photo. Should arrive by early fall with their current backlog of orders. Anyone out there have one of these or something similar? Thought it might be good for CCW under a jacket in fall and winter months. Currently pocket carry in a Recluse holster and don't like the feel of a holster tucked in my waistband.

post-10731-0-48168300-1432748479_thumb.jpg

I carried a military M7 holster (below) for almost the entire 32 months I was in Vietnam. Great style, puts the gun completely out of the way until you actually need it. It is very common to see in Alaska and also States where country hunting is common. Great design except it is pretty much useless for concealed carry. I could probably wear it on my property in Missouri while ona tractor or ATV but I usually have a long gun with me instead.

http://images42.fotki.com/v1186/photos/2/28344/157842/m3b-vi.jpg

Bud we used to wear those while getting crypto or cash back in my navy days it actually concealed fairly well under a pea coat - can't recall what we did in the summer

A cross-chest (tanker) holster is hard to conceal, and you can't just reach under one side of a coat - both sides cover the holster. This style of holster is best used when you are outdoors, wearing a backpack, or in a confined space (automobile or tank). It is also a good option if you have a long-barreled revolver (6" or more).

For concealment under a coat or jacket, a regular shoulder holster would be better. It also works with a backpack, and is easily accessible while driving. A pistol, including a 5" 1911, is held horizontally, butt slightly downward. A 3" revolver could be carried too, but a 4" would probably push the envelope. Longer barrels are carried vertically. I have an Alessi Fieldmaster, which took about 10 weeks for delivery. Their vertical holster pivots for easier access.

Archived