FFL Transfer & Chicago Gun Registration: Question

d38runner

I have a few quick questions about registering a handgun with the City of Chicago that was acquired through an FFL transfer. I have my own idea of what the answers to these questions are, but want to make sure I'm not screwing anything up.

I purchased a Ruger pistol through an online firearm seller (let's call them OnlineSeller). I used a suburban gun shop to do the FFL transfer (let's call them Local Gun Store). Here are my three questions.

First, on the Chicago Firearms Registration form (attached), what type of transfer is this: "new," "transfer," "renewal" or "amendment." (This is the question at the top of the first page.) I'm guessing it's probably "new" (since this is a new pistol I bought), but at the same time I could see an argument that it is a "transfer" since I did an FFL transfer through the Local Gun Store.

Second, on page two at the bottom, it asks me "Gun Was Obtained From" .... -- should I put the OnlineSeller or the Local Gun Store? As noted, I purchased the firearm from the OnlineSeller, but did the transfer through the Local Gun Store. I just want to make sure I get this right.

Third, per the Chicago Firearm Ordinance, I just want to confirm that I have five (5) days from the date I bring it into the City of Chicago to register it, right? I'm pretty sure that's written right in the statute, yet Midwest Guns once told me a few years ago that I shouldn't bring it into the city without first having registered it. Not sure if they were making a legal recommendation or just being prudent.

Anyways, any thoughts would be much appreciated. Thanks!

CPD-31.5621.pdf

I have a few quick questions about registering a handgun with the City of Chicago that was acquired through an FFL transfer. I have my own idea of what the answers to these questions are, but want to make sure I'm not screwing anything up.

I purchased a Ruger pistol through an online firearm seller (let's call them OnlineSeller). I used a suburban gun shop to do the FFL transfer (let's call them Local Gun Store). Here are my three questions.

First, on the Chicago Firearms Registration form (attached), what type of transfer is this: "new," "transfer," "renewal" or "amendment." (This is the question at the top of the first page.) I'm guessing it's probably "new" (since this is a new pistol I bought), but at the same time I could see an argument that it is a "transfer" since I did an FFL transfer through the Local Gun Store.

Second, on page two at the bottom, it asks me "Gun Was Obtained From" .... -- should I put the OnlineSeller or the Local Gun Store? As noted, I purchased the firearm from the OnlineSeller, but did the transfer through the Local Gun Store. I just want to make sure I get this right.

Third, per the Chicago Firearm Ordinance, I just want to confirm that I have five (5) days from the date I bring it into the City of Chicago to register it, right? I'm pretty sure that's written right in the statute, yet Midwest Guns once told me a few years ago that I shouldn't bring it into the city without first having registered it. Not sure if they were making a legal recommendation or just being prudent.

Anyways, any thoughts would be much appreciated. Thanks!

It is "New" because it is a new registration. New describes the type of registration, not the status of the gun.

Gun was obtained from the Local Gun Store on the date you took possession.

Yes, you have 5 days from the moment you bring it into Chicago city limits.

Disclaimer: IANAL.

It is "New" because it is a new registration. New describes the type of registration, not the status of the gun.

Gun was obtained from the Local Gun Store on the date you took possession.

Yes, you have 5 days from the moment you bring it into Chicago city limits.

Disclaimer: IANAL.

Thanks Federal Farmer! I agree with you on all points, just wanted a second opinion. I appreciate it.

• 3 weeks later...
Did the local suburban gun shop not answer all these questions with real answers based upon their dealings with CPD? You may want to check with them because sometimes CPD wants the forms within a certain number of days of the date on the paperwork NOT when the gun was brought into the city. Any suburban gun shop should have all these answers and should have helped you based upon their knowledge from experience in dealing with CPD. I nthe worst stories I have heard sometimes the gun has to be transfered back to the FFL and bought all over again and sometimes it had to be a different gun. CPD is really idiotic about some of this and should be sued repeatedly. Hope it goes well for you but horror stories abound.

Archived