When the new format was announced, it included a new "security" code. I believe the AL# is that "security" code, presumably to facilitate detection of counterfeit IDs. I suspect that the "security" relies on counterfeiters not knowing how the "security" is supposed to work. (i.e., it's "secure" until the secret gets out, then it's useless.)

On 3/9/2022 at 6:47 PM, chemical operator1 said:

there is another sequence on numbers that start with an AL. My wife doesn’t have this on her card. And I cannot find any info online about it Any ideas?

Re-echoing and some logic so far. The AL (Authorized License) "number", from my understanding from sources within the ISP as well as an ISP video, will be used for "enhanced" security. What has been determined so far is that the last eight (8) digits relate to the date that the card was sent to the printer queue. I had specifically asked the ISP about the leading character (I have seen X and F), and no one had the logic on how that was determined. Now, with this being stated, and the state of ISP technology and the recent printing issues, a haphazard change by the ISP in the number logic would not be a surprise.

Archived