CCW Identity Mixup

DHan

TREMONT – The Illinois State Police Department is investigating a computer glitch that’s putting some concealed carry applicant information in the wrong hands. When some applicants log in to the website, they’re finding another person’s photo, address, and phone number, along with other personal information. A Tazewell County man is dealing with this firsthand.

Dustin Holzwarth explained. “When I logged in to the concealed carry permit with my ID and my user and password it said "Welcome Dustin Holzwarth" and my identity was not mine.”

Instead of his information, Dustin sees a 62-year-old man from Shipman, Ill. He said, “"It was basically all of their pertinent information minus the credit card number they paid for it with."

For security reasons, we’re not disclosing this man’s name. But on what is supposed to be Dustin’s secure webpage is another man’s CDL License number, his FOID card number, his birth date and address history for the last 10 years.

Holzwarth said, “It happens every time I login. It's the same guy. Every single time. It's not me. And I have all of his information.”

So now the question is where is Dustin’s information? WMBD was the first to alert State Police of this computer problem. Spokesperson Monique Bond said she’s looking into the issue.

After discovering the mix up, Dustin reached out to the other man who told him when he now logs in there’s no record of his account.

Holzwarth explained. “After talking to him, he logged in with his username and password and it's not saving any data for him, it's completely gone. And he's paid and he's completely done with the process. His application is pending approval.”

Until State Police find a fix, Dustin hopes his information, wherever it may be, is safe. He said he’s speaking out in hopes that no one else finds themselves in this situation. “Go log on, with your username and password and check your status. Because if you don't have a status, I'd be guessing that somebody else has your status."

When we last spoke with State Police, they had no new information. We will keep you updated if we receive something new.

Archived